Newbie but passing through

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Newbie but passing through

Post by orichá »

... I think anywhere far enough out of the big cities and off the main roads will be okay in Vietnam. Roads in Vietnam are probably better than Cambodia.

The nice part of Thailand I've seen is the southwest, like Krabi, Phuket ... Go to islands.

But you are coming in winter when everything is dry. The best time to see the countryside of these places, especially Cambodia, is midsummer when the rice is growing and everything is green and beautiful.

You can put the bike on the train in Thailand up to the far north and go up into the hills from Chiang Mai, maybe.

You can cross into Laos from Vietnam midway up or in the north of Vietnam both in mountain terrain. Gotta be in good shape, but I think you are. Otherwise, it's coastal cruising and go down to the delta,😂
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

where are you starting from in Thailand and which border will u use to Cambodia?
I've cycled thousands of kms in Thailand from the far north to the malay border < also travelled by car 100,000's of kms>
great country, love it here :-)

let me know what areas ur interested in and i'll give ya my thought's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Navrig
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Navrig »

I am flying into Bangkok but some advice I have seen on Facebook groups is to the take the train out of Bangkok until the roads are (much) quieter.
I'll cross into Cambodia at Poi Pet and leave Cambodia at Bavet. The plan is to stick to minor roads however that may not be possible at borders or going into and leaving cities.

Typically my route corridor is this one: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

However I am not totally fixed on this - the route is very flat which has advantages but can be boring,
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Navrig wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:46 pm I am flying into Bangkok but some advice I have seen on Facebook groups is to the take the train out of Bangkok until the roads are (much) quieter.
I'll cross into Cambodia at Poi Pet and leave Cambodia at Bavet. The plan is to stick to minor roads however that may not be possible at borders or going into and leaving cities.

Typically my route corridor is this one: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

However I am not totally fixed on this - the route is very flat which has advantages but can be boring,
I'd head to Pattaya and cycle from there to -Chantaburi than north to Pong Nam Ron and cross at Bam Laem, cycle to Palin, Battamabang-Siem Rep- Kampong Cham-on to Vietnam
you wont miss alot by skipping Phnom Pehn as a cyclist
this route would give ya some good riding thru non tourist areas and get to see Thai/Cambodia countryside

Just my suggestion>
Between bangkok and poi pet is heavy traffic, if ur set on that route you might just as well take the train to Aranyaprathet

FYI; i spent 18 months cycling thru Asia and and SE Asia way back in 82/83 :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Navrig
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Navrig »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:35 pm
Navrig wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:46 pm I am flying into Bangkok but some advice I have seen on Facebook groups is to the take the train out of Bangkok until the roads are (much) quieter.

I'd head to Pattaya and cycle from there to -Chantaburi than north to Pong Nam Ron and cross at Bam Laem, cycle to Palin, Battamabang-Siem Rep- Kampong Cham-on to Vietnam
you wont miss alot by skipping Phnom Pehn as a cyclist
this route would give ya some good riding thru non tourist areas and get to see Thai/Cambodia countryside

Just my suggestion>
Between bangkok and poi pet is heavy traffic, if ur set on that route you might just as well take the train to Aranyaprathet

FYI; i spent 18 months cycling thru Asia and and SE Asia way back in 82/83 :-)
That looks more interesting. I'll plot this out and do a bit more exploring. Cheers. So glad I posted here
Navrig
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Navrig »

I've been looking at a different route based upon comments from Richard. However according to https://www.evisa.gov.kh/information/port_entry/3 only Bravet is capable of allowing entry on an eVisa. It says the last update was 2018 so it's possible there are more eVisa entry points.

Does anyone know?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Navrig wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:38 pm I've been looking at a different route based upon comments from Richard. However according to https://www.evisa.gov.kh/information/port_entry/3 only Bravet is capable of allowing entry on an eVisa. It says the last update was 2018 so it's possible there are more eVisa entry points.

Does anyone know?
You won't enter Cambodia from Vietnam, so I'm not sure why you mention Bavet as point of entry.

If you want to enter Cambodia from Thailand on an eVisa, you can do so at Poi Pet and Koh Kong. I wouldn't choose the border crossing based on this though - just get a visa on arrival instead of an eVisa in case you want to enter elsewhere.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

If you want more nature, shade and less traffic by 900%, seriously, you should consider skipping most of coastal Vietnam, lol...

And go instead from southeast Thailand looping through Kampot up to the Mekong, which you can ride beside much of the way with a little effort and map skills... Or, simply come from Poipet, see Angkor Wat and then turn left up and go north up the river from Phnom Penh instead... To Laos...

Ride up Mekong to the Four Thousand Islands and up the left side of the river to Pakse. Take a bus to Thakhek from Pakse and ride up highway 12 to highway 1E and turn north.

Ride up to Phonsavan and on to Nong Khiaw via #7 and #1C and go up the river to Muang Ngoy and back, then continue north, turn right onto highway #2E and continue to Dien Bien Phu in Vietnam. Cool temps, fresh air, less traffic (a lot!)...

Imagepicture host

You can take a little side trip down to Luang Prabang on ur way around to crowded Vietnam... Very nice place...

Your route from Poipet has little tree shade, will be very hot at sea level, and is full of tons of traffic ALL THE WAY...

I like camping under trees beside rivers and building campfires with nobody around for miles. Oh well, different ways for different folks...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

JUST use VOA> cheaper and gives you the option to enter at any border
as Alex said above, why worry about Bavet? Ur entering from Thailand, right? So exiting there and thats one busy road and the shoulders as well are crowded from PP, why i suggested a different option.
Navrig
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Navrig »

Apologies of if I caused confusion by mentioning Bavet when I was interested in Thailand/Cambodia crossing points. This was knee jerk reaction to the table showing what crossing points accepted eVisa. I had assumed that an eVisa would be the best way to go in terms of reducing the risk of not being allowed into any of the 3 countries I aim to visit. Judging by the responses here VOA is the way to go. Is that just for Cambodia or could/should I seriously consider VOA for Vietnam? When I was working all the visa stuff was done for me!

@orichá has thrown up some views and ideas for the route. I'll have a closer look at these but one of my ambitions is to get to Saigon and see some good friends. I suppose an alternative would be to take the more scenic inland route to Hanoi and then fly to Saigon for an end of tour R&R. I could courier my bike home from Hanoi. Similarly Dalat could be a short trip from Saigon by Futabus or even with friends.

Back to the drawing board.....

Thanks for your input everyone, it is very much appreciated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic