Industrial Hemp

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Industrial Hemp

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Are there any farms in Cambodia growing industrial hemp?

The seeds are super food.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Industrial Hemp

Post by Tootsfriend »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:56 am Are there any farms in Cambodia growing industrial hemp?

The seeds are super food.
If they were known as a ''super food'' you would find them here.
Spoiler:
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Oh man, haven't had a Big Mac in ages ... I just read the other day, a Bic Mac combo is around $18 usd now in some cities. Crazy. Hemp though is what I am looking for. I like to use it in cooking and making my own CBD tea, smoothies, etc. It's great for sleep and ortho injuries, of which I have a resume of injuries that would impress Evel Kinevel!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Any legal beagles out there know if growing industrial hemp for personal use is legal in Cambodia?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:10 pm Any legal beagles out there know if growing industrial hemp for personal use is legal in Cambodia?
It's illegal, but my kid was taught in school up to three plants you won't be prosecuted if they find out. I don't know if the teacher was right or wrong, just passing it through. They will at least destroy your crops though if they find out.

The plant is quite distinctive in size, shape and smell so growing it silently requires a quiet spot.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:16 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:10 pm Any legal beagles out there know if growing industrial hemp for personal use is legal in Cambodia?
It's illegal, but my kid was taught in school up to three plants you won't be prosecuted if they find out. I don't know if the teacher was right or wrong, just passing it through. They could destroy your crops though.

The plant is quite distinctive in size, shape and smell so growing it silently might require a quiet spot.
Some higher up police was quoted in KT saying the same. 2-3 plants is allowed because it is traditional to have, but it may not be processed for consumption, including eating.

This was in connection with declaring that they were coming down on weed growers across the country.

What the law actually says is another question :unknown:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Apparently, some of the better informed jurisdictions around the globe differentiate between low and high THC content, though I doubt the local government have the flexibility of thought. If they did, maybe you could set yourself up as a traditional rope maker?
Grow some sisal, too, to lend some legitimacy.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:36 pm Apparently, some of the better informed jurisdictions around the globe differentiate between low and high THC content, though I doubt the local government have the flexibility of thought. If they did, maybe you could set yourself up as a traditional rope maker?
I am pretty sure the competent authorities won't waste their time and budget on testing the 'hemp' for the amount of THC before chopping it and burning the remains.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:42 pm
Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:36 pm Apparently, some of the better informed jurisdictions around the globe differentiate between low and high THC content, though I doubt the local government have the flexibility of thought. If they did, maybe you could set yourself up as a traditional rope maker?
I am pretty sure the competent authorities won't waste their time and budget on testing the 'hemp' for the amount of THC before chopping it and burning the remains.
And standing around, calmly observing the natural beauty, marvelling at how the smoke twists this way, and that way. Feeling a surreal elation from their endeavours, maybe…
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

I'd be interested to read the fine print on the current law ... details matter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic