Industrial Hemp

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Industrial Hemp

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:27 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:18 pm not sure why any country would outlaw hemp … it has no psychoactive properties whatsoever … just cheap and healthy to eat.
Did you write that with a straight face?

Low does not mean none.
Hemp may be lower in THC (than the other variants)but that does not mean that there is none. Whether the legislation is an over reaction, excessive, or whatever, it should still give you some clue as to the why.
I keep thinking of Thailand … somehow they changed the law … so I think it can be done … with so many Cambodians sufferers of diseases such as diabetes, high blood, cancer, etc. … if there was some way to get the latest data on the medical miracles this plant provides into the hands of lawmakers … well, it has to start somewhere with something … I had friends in Santa Cruz who were the first folks to get prop 215 passed in California … it just takes patience and the belief that it can be done … how is the 6 million dollar question.

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:21 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:18 pm not sure why any country would outlaw hemp … it has no psychoactive properties whatsoever … just cheap and healthy to eat.

Low does not mean none.
Hemp may be lower in THC (than the other variants)but that does not mean that there is none. Whether the legislation is an over reaction, excessive, or whatever, it should still give you some clue as to the why.
I keep thinking of Thailand …
Confused between Thailand and Cambodia- well, you’re not the first. But still, it doesn’t answer why you think low equates to none…
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

Low does not mean none.
I keep thinking of Thailand … somehow they changed the law … so I think it can be done … with so many Cambodians sufferers of diseases such as diabetes, high blood, cancer, etc. … if there was some way to get the latest data on the medical miracles this plant provides into the hands of lawmakers … well, it has to start somewhere with something … I had friends in Santa Cruz who were the first folks to get prop 215 passed in California … it just takes patience and the belief that it can be done … how is the 6 million dollar question.

The short lived legalisation of cannabis in Thailand will in all likelihood be repealed very soon?
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Earl of Mercia wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:44 am

Low does not mean none.

The short lived legalisation of cannabis in Thailand will in all likelihood be repealed very soon?
I think on Thailand, "recreational" cannabis likely to be repealed or greatly reformed and on the low none point ... you are correct sir. But, just as you can breed to increase, I believe hemp can be bred to get to zero.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:47 pm Hemp though is what I am looking for. I like to use it in cooking and making my own CBD tea, smoothies, etc. It's great for sleep and ortho injuries, of which I have a resume of injuries that would impress Evel Kinevel!
While it's illegal to grow hemp it's products are available if you look in the right places. Kampot comes to mind.

Or you could grow a few yourself. One or two at the time without anyone knowing, out of sight, without upsetting someone, without spreading the word (including at this place) and you will most probably be fine. Just don't start selling the stuff, or do anything else which might put you on the radar of the authorities, keep low. (Lush) Garden required though.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:26 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:47 pm Hemp though is what I am looking for. I like to use it in cooking and making my own CBD tea, smoothies, etc. It's great for sleep and ortho injuries, of which I have a resume of injuries that would impress Evel Kinevel!
While it's illegal to grow hemp it's products are available if you look in the right places. Kampot comes to mind.

Or you could grow a few yourself. One or two at the time without anyone knowing, out of sight, without upsetting someone, without spreading the word (including at this place) and you will most probably be fine. Just don't start selling the stuff, or do anything else which might put you on the radar of the authorities, keep low. (Lush) Garden required though.
Prolly right … but I am interested more in changing the status quo and old ways of thinking about cannabis … it was the good ole USA news mogul from California William Randolph Hearst who funded the Reefer Madness campaign and the demonization of one of nature’s finest gifts to medicine … and his propaganda spread worldwide … my mom used it in her final days and died smiling … in contrast, her mom died in agony due to Texas laws back then prohibiting its use … even as medicine. There are such strong and compelling reasons to decriminalize cannabis as medicine. I pray the next generation in countries which outlaw cannabis will change and allow people suffering to use it as god intended.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:57 am

Prolly right … but I am interested more in changing the status quo and old ways of thinking about cannabis … it was the good ole USA news mogul from California William Randolph Hearst who funded the Reefer Madness campaign and the demonization of one of nature’s finest gifts to medicine … and his propaganda spread worldwide … my mom used it in her final days and died smiling … in contrast, her mom died in agony due to Texas laws back then prohibiting its use … even as medicine. There are such strong and compelling reasons to decriminalize cannabis as medicine. I pray the next generation in countries which outlaw cannabis will change and allow people suffering to use it as god intended.
Good luck with your crusade in Cambodia...
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I like the status quo here as far as the recreational shit .
I can get local weed illegally but cheaply anytime and it suits me fine medically .
I am stocked up and always have a stash . Don’t need no kool aid .
I don’t have to grow my own or even need my “ green card “ .
For treats I can get anything I want from USA thru the post office .

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

pissontheroof wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:46 am I like the status quo here as far as the recreational shit .
I can get local weed illegally but cheaply anytime and it suits me fine medically .
I am stocked up and always have a stash . Don’t need no kool aid .
I don’t have to grow my own or even need my “ green card “ .
For treats I can get anything I want from USA thru the post office .

For individuals agree, status quo works fine … I am thinking more towards doing boutique medical products and small sustainable farming … I have skin cancer and indica oil is a well known cure in countries where it is allowed as medicine.

Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:57 am

Has it ever occurred to you that you are a guest in Cambodia and that the views and wishes of 16 million native Cambodians and their elected government might just take priority over your personal drug preferences?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic