Freezer Trucks - Thailand - Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Freezer Trucks - Thailand - Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Anyone aware of freezer trucks that operate between Bangkok and Cambodia. Ideally that are shared.

There used to be one from a yogurt manufacture but he sold his truck.

Looking to import products from Bangkok.

Thanks so much.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: Freezer Trucks - Thailand - Cambodia

Post by YaTingPom »

I know a guy who imports stuff from Australia. He said the staff at the port turn off the motor for the freezer/chiller to "save on fuel" plus they are thick. He said that is why, particularly chocolate where it goes white, shows signs of melting and refreezing. Lots of stuff is junked if they think they can't sell it.

I would not trust any cross border refrigerated products.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Unless you want to go completely "unofficial" you can't really share refrigerated trucks, the legitimate supply chains don't work that way. The other problem with small loads is that the product has to be transferred from one truck to another at the border and that will probably be done at ambient temperature.
Reefer containers are possible but start around $2400 all-in door-door Bangkok-Phnom Penh.
The only other option is using something like the big polystyrene boxes with dry ice.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. Trying to import pepperoni but distributor seems concerned by the lack of freezer and I don’t think is open to ice boxes which is pretty common at a local level. Also asked for Thai business license.

I’ve learned VET offers a services for about 2000 baht for 40 kilos. So that seems an option but still need assistance getting product to them (if they will even sell it to me)

Thanks to member who sent me a PM as well.

If anyone else has experience importing deli meats from Bangkok would be appreciated.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Of course the distributor is concerned, they don't want their name to be associated with multiple cases of food poisoning or of their products appearing on the market without it having gone though Customs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic