Vague post by British Embassy

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Vague post by British Embassy

Post by ItWasntMe »

But wait ... the tweet I posted is more than a year old, how is that news now?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:40 am But wait ... the tweet I posted is more than a year old, how is that news now?
That's quick for the British embassy.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I was wondering if this was actually going to be related to some old event from a while back, which has only just been brought to their attention. Resurrecting old obscure topics online seems to be an internet wide problem. Or maybe Monkey-human interactions are increasing? It’s not a new phenomenon.
It might explain the exceptional vague statement- caution while getting the facts together.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:46 am I was wondering if this was actually going to be related to some old event from a while back, which has only just been brought to their attention. Resurrecting old obscure topics online seems to be an internet wide problem. Or maybe Monkey-human interactions are increasing? It’s not a new phenomenon.
It might explain the exceptional vague statement- caution while getting the facts together.
I would have thought the diplomats manual would suggest saying nothing until you know all the facts and then say nothing unless you absolutely have to. When the subject matter is primate on human fellatio, this might be one to say nothing. A 'holding' statement, like the one they have made, makes it harder for them to say nothing later.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:02 am
Freightdog wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:46 am I was wondering if this was actually going to be related to some old event from a while back, which has only just been brought to their attention. Resurrecting old obscure topics online seems to be an internet wide problem. Or maybe Monkey-human interactions are increasing? It’s not a new phenomenon.
I would have thought the diplomats manual would suggest saying nothing until you know all the facts and then say nothing unless you absolutely have to. When the subject matter is primate on human fellatio, this might be one to say nothing. A 'holding' statement, like the one they have made, makes it harder for them to say nothing later.
You and I are relics of an era when what we think made sense.

I’ve no idea if that article in the Thaiger that I linked to is the matter of concern. It’s the most recent news article that I found that might generate sufficient discussion. Albeit, it’s in English, not Khmer, and it’s a Khmer language topic around a video on Facebook that seemingly has prompted British expats to contact the embassy.
According to the person responding as the Ambassador, the statement is to assure those that have seen the video that they’re looking into it.

The other half has a habit of sending me links to Facebook discussions about stuff that is two/three weeks old and already reported here as CEO news. It would not come as any surprise to find that people are getting bent out of shape over something that happened last year.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:34 am

I’ve no idea if that article in the Thaiger that I linked to is the matter of concern. It’s the most recent news article that I found that might generate sufficient discussion. Albeit, it’s in English, not Khmer, and it’s a Khmer language topic around a video on Facebook that seemingly has prompted British expats to contact the embassy.
According to the person responding as the Ambassador, the statement is to assure those that have seen the video that they’re looking into it.

The other half has a habit of sending me links to Facebook discussions about stuff that is two/three weeks old and already reported here as CEO news. It would not come as any surprise to find that people are getting bent out of shape over something that happened last year.
It could be some pissed and angry old git slagging off the government while walking along Riverside with his selfie stick. The all-seeing eye of the cyber unit saw it and now he languishes in Prey Sar. And everyone else missed it due to his lack of friends and followers. Sounds more plausible that a blowjob by a macaque.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:46 am
Freightdog wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:34 am

It could be some pissed and angry old git slagging off the government while walking along Riverside with his selfie stick. The all-seeing eye of the cyber unit saw it and now he languishes in Prey Sar. And everyone else missed it due to his lack of friends and followers. Sounds more plausible that a blowjob by a macaque.
Taking into account the recent pandemic caused by bats, maybe some concerned citizens thought it would be a good idea to follow up on this otherwise perfectly normal interaction with nature.

I blame thread necromancy on the global level.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:46 am
Insufficient friends and followers, but generated 500k views, some excitement on FB, and prompting enough concerned people to contact the embassy to warrant a statement…

I’m actually still expecting this to be some old news that, in the way that Facebook can, has become ‘relevant’ simply because it’s being talked about now.

That no one on CEO, let alone resident Brit’s, has offered any genuine enlightenment speaks volumes as to its potential to be ‘nothing to see, here’.
It may be that the person previously responsible for writing the UK foreign office travel advisories has been promoted.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Why doesn't someone post a link to the actual video?

All the above is speculation that seems to have got derailed after the third wild guess, "Maybe it's this video in Thailand?" Huh?

Lost me 100% Not a clue what you guys are talking about ...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

orichá wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:44 am Why doesn't someone post a link to the actual video?

All the above is speculation that seems to have got derailed after the third wild guess, "Maybe it's this video in Thailand?" Huh?

Lost me 100% Not a clue what you guys are talking about ...
Short recap-

Apparently, there’s a video on Facebook, involving a British male.
The video (dialogue?) is in Khmer.
It’s generated some considerable interest.
Prompting the UK embassy to issue a vague notice.
A thread on the subject has been started, here
asinine-arena-enter-your-own-risk/vague ... 56726.html

The clue as to why no one has posted a link is because nobody so far knows what video has caused all of the excitement
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic