Apartments when they building is bought out?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Apartments when they building is bought out?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I've dabbled with the idea of buying an apartment in Phnom Penh for quite a while. Recently I found a few that I like.

However, what concerns me is the possibility of a takeover to build a high-rise, and the potential for demolition. Does anyone know what normally happens when an apartment block is in the way of some big developer that wants to build a high rise? In most countries I'd assume they have to buy out all the owners, but am not sure here.

TIA :thumb:
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Apartments when they building is bought out?

Post by Bluenose »

What kind of title is being offered? If it's a strata title in a building authorized to have them, you will be as safe as you can be in Cambodia - and it's probably a new high rise building anyway. Anything less, I hope you're not investing your whole life savings...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

By apartment are you referring to a shop house type building? The only property type foreigners can legally own 100% of is Strata Titled properties, Strata Titles are only issued to eligible co-owned buildings (condos).
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:53 pm By apartment are you referring to a shop house type building? The only property type foreigners can legally own 100% of is Strata Titled properties, Strata Titles are only issued to eligible co-owned buildings (condos).
It's not a strata titled property, I would probably purchase through my wife, a company or a mixture of those two.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:25 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:53 pm By apartment are you referring to a shop house type building? The only property type foreigners can legally own 100% of is Strata Titled properties, Strata Titles are only issued to eligible co-owned buildings (condos).
It's not a strata titled property, I would probably purchase through my wife, a company or a mixture of those two.
If buying above ground floor then there is no hard title, as Hard Titles are only issued to land, not structures, or parts of structures. If the person who owns the land decides to sell then not much you can do about it, whether you'd be compensated financially I can't say for sure, I'd advise you to consult a professional real estate agency and lawyer.before sinking money into an apartment.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:52 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:25 pm
If buying above ground floor then there is no hard title, as Hard Titles are only issued to land, not structures, or parts of structures. If the person who owns the land decides to sell then not much you can do about it, whether you'd be compensated financially I can't say for sure, I'd advise you to consult a professional real estate agency and lawyer.before sinking money into an apartment.
Hi PSD Kiwi, that is good to know about titles. That sounds like a good idea to discuss with several real estate professionals. Thanks for your reply!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic