Speed boat Phnom Penh to HCMC

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Speed boat Phnom Penh to HCMC

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Anybody have recent experience traveling Phnom Penh to HCMC via speed boat?

Do USA passports still need visa or is there an exemption now!

Do you change boats at Chau Doc for onward travel to HCMC?

Also was wondering if I could transport a crate with household effects and professional gear via river cargo and ride with it? I have about 250kgs of stuff in storage I need to get from HCMC back to Phnom Penh.

Thanks.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Speed boat Phnom Penh to HCMC

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I believe the boat only goes to Chau Doc. There is no boat to HCMC,

US citizens need a visa and can apply for visa online.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Yes, thanks. Is it possible to catch a different boat from Chau Doc to HCMC?
AM34
Expatriate

Post by AM34 »

There's no commercial service, but possible to do a private charter. I paid about $100/day for a slow boat to drive around the delta backwaters for a week from Chau Dac, but you could also go to HCMC this time of year.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Is it possible to pack your stuff so it will fit underneath in a bus? If so, then speak to one of the bus companies as they allegedly have ways of it miraculously getting completely ignored by Customs at the border.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

The speedboats between PP and HCMC and Chau Doc and HCMC stopped years ago.

When I was in charge of the speedboats years ago, I often brought staff across the border by boat as the boats were not checked. Obviously, we are talking pretty small packages here, not big massive crates.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

hanno wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:39 am The speedboats between PP and HCMC and Chau Doc and HCMC stopped years ago.

When I was in charge of the speedboats years ago, I often brought staff across the border by boat as the boats were not checked. Obviously, we are talking pretty small packages here, not big massive crates.
I was thinking more for for the return ride back to send via a commercial slow boat container barge type deal.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

hanno wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:39 am The speedboats between PP and HCMC and Chau Doc and HCMC stopped years ago.
Why did they stop?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Yobbo wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:23 am
Why did they stop?
Way to expensive to run. If the boat wasn't full, we'd lose tons of money. I did PP to HCMC a few times, it was not a pleasant trip.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic