Usd to vnd in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Usd to vnd in Phnom Penh

Post by HappyChappy »

Hi

I am going on holiday to Vietnam and am looking for a place with good rates to exchange my $$$. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Usd to vnd in Phnom Penh

Post by Bluenose »

HappyChappy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:27 pm Hi

I am going on holiday to Vietnam and am looking for a place with good rates to exchange my $$$. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
11 days ago, I did what I normally do and changed at one of the travel agents that are mixed in with the bus offices on Pham Ngu Lao (where Giant Ibis and Danh Danh stop). I got 24200 to the $ and the mid-rate that day was around 24350, that's not unreasonable.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Any of the money changers near larger markets or Ly Hour Exchange.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

It's not clear if you want to change it in PP or Saigon.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

johnny lightning wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:07 pm It's not clear if you want to change it in PP or Saigon.
"in Phnom Penh" seems pretty clear to me.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
steevee
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by steevee »

where is the best place to change US$?....in PP or Saigon???
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

steevee wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:22 pm where is the best place to change US$?....in PP or Saigon???
I got 24200 to the $ and the mid-rate that day was around 24350,

With such a tight spread of 0.006% here, that's $6 per $1000. You can't really better that. And as Cambodia is a $ economy I would imagine getting rid of Dong for $'s is a better trade here than in HCMC. I don't think you can spend $'s in Vietnam so the changers will need to bank what $'s they get or find someone to buy them. The changers here can spend them, pay their rent, pay their wages etc.

I wonder what the rate is here for the reverse trade; from Dong for $'s? It might not be such a tight spread. You might find getting rid of any unspent Dong should be done in HCMC rather than here.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:35 pm
steevee wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:22 pm where is the best place to change US$?....in PP or Saigon???

With such a tight spread of 0.006% here, that's $6 per $1000. You can't really better that. And as Cambodia is a $ economy I would imagine getting rid of Dong for $'s is a better trade here than in HCMC. I don't think you can spend $'s in Vietnam so the changers will need to bank what $'s they get or find someone to buy them. The changers here can spend them, pay their rent, pay their wages etc.

I wonder what the rate is here for the reverse trade; from Dong for $'s? It might not be such a tight spread. You might find getting rid of any unspent Dong should be done in HCMC rather than here.
From what I understand, a lot of Vietnamese see US$ as a commodity like gold, a safe place to store your wealth, so the changers there have a market.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:40 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:35 pm

From what I understand, a lot of Vietnamese see US$ as a commodity like gold, a safe place to store your wealth, so the changers there have a market.
I think you have a good point.

Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Hotels are usually more than happy to accept Dollars in Vietnam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic