What you wanna do when you"ll be 80?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: What you wanna do when you"ll be 80?

Post by YaTingPom »

rgrowden wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:58 am My brother, age 64, just had triple bypass surgery for the same condition. He was told it was not due to diet, obesity, or family history. First he knew there was a problem was when he suffered a stroke. Not preventable. When I heard, I had Raffles do a cholesterol screening. Mine is normal.
Does your family have a history of heart attacks or issues with the heart?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

YaTingPom wrote:
rgrowden wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:58 am My brother, age 64, just had triple bypass surgery for the same condition. He was told it was not due to diet, obesity, or family history. First he knew there was a problem was when he suffered a stroke. Not preventable. When I heard, I had Raffles do a cholesterol screening. Mine is normal.
Nope. Purely job stress. I had fun and interesting job close to home. Then got cast out to far away land and told to do the same job with impossible expectations and next to nothing to do the job with. There to be blamed and scapegoated. And ground to dust working impossible hours.

Knew that it would kill me a lot sooner and my time was running out fast. Bought a huge insurance policy and a house to cover missus when that happened.

Got all sorts of serious medical issues by now.

The severe heart disease, and resulting surgery, has made me take a huge step back and re-evaluate my life.

I won’t have close to enough to retire (10-15x salary) by age 80, but I will be alive to enjoy my time, possibly in Cambodia and elsewhere where it’s cheaper to live.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: What you wanna do when you

Post by YaTingPom »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:30 pm
YaTingPom wrote:
Nope. Purely job stress. I had fun and interesting job close to home. Then got cast out to far away land and told to do the same job with impossible expectations and next to nothing to do the job with. There to be blamed and scapegoated. And ground to dust working impossible hours.

Knew that it would kill me a lot sooner and my time was running out fast. Bought a huge insurance policy and a house to cover missus when that happened.

The severe heart disease, and resulting surgery, has made me take a huge step back and re-evaluate my life.

I won’t have close to enough to retire (10-15x salary) by age 80, but I will be alive to enjoy my time, possibly in Cambodia and elsewhere where it’s cheaper to live.
Sorry to hear that, however, I hate to break it to you but if you are having "severe heart disease" in your 50s there is no way you will reach 80. It doesn't just go away even after surgery. There's lasting damage, not only to the heart but the central nervous system and all things connected to it.

:?
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

YaTingPom wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:32 am
None.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Pretty much every disease and/or illness can be cured via fasting/diet ... just sayin'
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Fridaywithmateo wrote:Pretty much every disease and/or illness can be cured via fasting/diet ... just sayin'
Right now, I must eat every 2-3 hours or I vomit. I can’t eat much every time. Must weight everyday. Can’t let my weight drop.

I came into the surgery with severe coronary artery disease, but normal heart function and no cardiac ischemia on stress test

Maybe I’ll make it to 80.

Work diet is not working good. Emphasis is on production rather than actually given time to eat. So prolonged forced fasting with binge eating in the few free minutes is the norm.

All stuff that needs to change for me.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: What you wanna do when you

Post by Earl of Mercia »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:30 pm
YaTingPom wrote:

TEFLing isn't for everyone!

Btw DO NOT tell the missus about your life insurance policy with the huge payout!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic