What you wanna do when you"ll be 80?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: What you wanna do when you

Post by Earl of Mercia »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:04 am
Earl of Mercia wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:54 am
YaTingPom wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:29 am Hopefully be alive.

Actually want to still be alive after surgery tomorrow. If I’m lucky. If I don’t stroke out, have a heart attack or a million other things that could go wrong. And take 2 months to recover enough to drive.
You are a very positive person so you should be ok.
Feel like a split rotisseries chicken. Breathing tube out 2 days ago. Chest tubes out yesterday. With luck pacer wires out tomorrow. Recovery will be long and brutal and expensive.
Did you have a bypass or something I thought you were a fiftysomething seems awful young?
Stress of work abuse left me with severe multivessel coronary artery disease.

Now I gotta take care of me.

There will be months of recovery on disability, and payments to be taken out of the paycheck when I start working again. Cutting back on hours so 33% less income, also losing the extra overtime, more like 40% less.

The bills will be high and money will be tight. 5K for school tax, another 30K for property tax, income tax around the corner. Not even sure about the final hospital and rehab bill.

But I will escape on Halloween in miserable cold rainy weather. Must stay positive to make it to 80.
Haven’t told my parents yet.
I'm almost afraid to ask but is your wife still around to at least help to take care of you?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Earl of Mercia wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:50 am
Earl of Mercia wrote:
YaTingPom wrote: You are a very positive person so you should be ok.
Feel like a split rotisseries chicken. Breathing tube out 2 days ago. Chest tubes out yesterday. With luck pacer wires out tomorrow. Recovery will be long and brutal and expensive.
Did you have a bypass or something I thought you were a fiftysomething seems awful young?

There will be months of recovery on disability, and payments to be taken out of the paycheck when I start working again. Cutting back on hours so 33% less income, also losing the extra overtime, more like 40% less.

The bills will be high and money will be tight. 5K for school tax, another 30K for property tax, income tax around the corner. Not even sure about the final hospital and rehab bill.

But I will escape on Halloween in miserable cold rainy weather. Must stay positive to make it to 80.
I'm almost afraid to ask but is your wife still around to at least help to take care of you?
The one whose last Cambodia trip cost a million dollars and gave her a brain tumor?
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

Alex wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:51 am
Earl of Mercia wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:50 am
Earl of Mercia wrote:

The one whose last Cambodia trip cost a million dollars and gave her a brain tumor?
Yes that one,on reflection sending USD $5,000 per week to Cambodia,for her and her friends and relatives to spend was probably unwise given hindsight?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What you wanna do when you"ll be 80?

Post by John Bingham »

Give the guy a break, he's not well. There's no point in dragging all that up again.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Getting out of the hospital today, on Halloween. I am useless - feel like 80. Missus helps me get up, lie down, shower, feeding, walking around. Will be useless for a long time as I recover and look forward to having some meaning and use.
Not just deadweight.

Life is unpredictable. Who would have thought it would turn out like this?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well at least you are not on your own. Hope things go okay for you.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:12 pm Getting out of the hospital today, on Halloween. I am useless - feel like 80. Missus helps me get up, lie down, shower, feeding, walking around. Will be useless for a long time as I recover and look forward to having some meaning and use.
Not just deadweight.

Life is unpredictable. Who would have thought it would turn out like this?
Yin and Yang such is life unfortunately you cannot escape Karma,I mean the SEA version not good or bad but simply what is.

In the words of the great Sir Winston Churchill "If you're going through Hell,keep going!"
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

I thought the buildup of cholesterol in the arteries was caused by other things. Diet, obesity, family history, etc.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

My brother, age 64, just had triple bypass surgery for the same condition. He was told it was not due to diet, obesity, or family history. First he knew there was a problem was when he suffered a stroke. Not preventable. When I heard, I had Raffles do a cholesterol screening. Mine is normal.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

BaltimoreJack wrote:

I thought the buildup of cholesterol in the arteries was caused by other things. Diet, obesity, family history, etc.
Cholesterol is a helper for the arteries. If there is a cut or damage to the artery wall, cholesterol patches over the damage. The problem occures when there are foreign items in the blood that imbed in the the artery wall. Cholesterol patches over these items, and in time if more buildup of these foreign items migrate to the same area, cholesterol keeps patching over until there is an abnormal buildup of cholesterol in that area.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic