Self Transfer - Hand Luggage - online Check-in

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Self Transfer - Hand Luggage - online Check-in

Post by Doc67 »

I am mulling a trip to Penang. Sky Scanner came up with:

Air Asia PNH - KL and;

Batik Air Kl - PEN.

The return is that same; Batik and then Air Asia.

The website says self-transfer, but if I have hand luggage only AND I check in online and have a boarding card, then I can stay airside. If I have checked luggage then I am stuck with with immigration, getting luggage, customs, baggage drop and security again.

Am I missing anything? Is there any reason I will not be able to stay airside as long as I have checked in online and have a digital or printed boarding pass for my onward journey. The flight times are perfect and the layover times are great if I stay airside, but are very tight if I have to carousel out and back through.

People have mentioned that KL has problems with transits.

Any thoughts and advice about this plan and dealing with KL transits?

AM34
Expatriate

Re: Self Transfer - Hand Luggage - online Check-in

Post by AM34 »

AFIAK, Batik flies out of KLIA1, (while AirAsia is always KLIA2) so you'll have to go landside and take the train between terminals. Would think 1.5 hours is enough, but tight.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Since post- covid, I have made 5 trips through KL with onward flights, all with Air Asia. It appears that you now have to disembark and enter Malaysia then turn around and go through departures again,, cannot go through International or Domestic Transfers.

Pre-covid it was no problems getting a boarding pass for the onward connecting flight but now even when arguing with the book-in counter I have been unable to get the onward boarding pass.

Luckily I dont travel with baggage but if someone did it would be a hassle if your connecting flight was only 2 or 3 hours after landing.

I have my next Air Asia flight from OZ to PP tomorrow morning so we will see if the same problem as before.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Is this booking on one through ticket or are there two separate tickets? And what does it say when you click on "risks of this travel hack"?
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I just had this situation on Monday in Singapore and the attempt had cost me S$168...
The situation in KLIA is quite similar, since you have huge ways between the terminals, however some of the Airlines have transfer CheckIn counters (not sure if they do domestic check ins there as well)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

A travel hack is when you are using different airlines for a cheaper price to reach a destination. That’s why you have to self-transfer.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bluenose wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:45 am Is this booking on one through ticket or are there two separate tickets? And what does it say when you click on "risks of this travel hack"?
It's offered through Kiwi and MyTrip.

MyTrip explain that while I see a flight itinerary, the individual airlines - who are not connected and do not talk to each other - only see one flight, namely the one you are booked with them. This does not matter if you have hand luggage, but it does matter if you want your luggage booked through to your final destination. As we can now check in online, this also removes the need of going to a check in desk.

My problem seems to be at what point I clear immigration, and it seems that must be at KL. As the flights may be from a different terminal, this seals the deal - it's immigration at KL and then back through the sausage factory!

And at 01:40 and 01:30 layover time, this is going to be tight.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:20 pm
Bluenose wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:45 am Is this booking on one through ticket or are there two separate tickets? And what does it say when you click on "risks of this travel hack"?

MyTrip explain that while I see a flight itinerary, the individual airlines - who are not connected and do not talk to each other - only see one flight, namely the one you are booked with them. This does not matter if you have hand luggage, but it does matter if you want your luggage booked through to your final destination. As we can now check in online, this also removes the need of going to a check in desk.

My problem seems to be at what point I clear immigration, and it seems that must be at KL. As the flights may be from a different terminal, this seals the deal - it's immigration at KL and then back through the sausage factory!

So two separate airline tickets? I wouldn't want to do that with those layovers, especially at KLIA. Some of the gates at KLIA2 are a long way from where you get the transfer bus or train.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’d be contacting both airlines directly, especially in view of the short transit time.
I’ve done similar going to the US, previously, with two different airlines, UK-New York with continental, and then New York to Seattle with Delta, and wholeheartedly say that I will never do that again with anything less than a 3hour stopover, if I have to recheck baggage. It’s not just immigration, there’s the customs part, too.

That said, I’ve just travelled to London with Emirates, who now also use Malaysian and KL, in addition to Bangkok Airways/BKK and Jetstar/SIN, to handle the Phnom Penh portion of the route.

It worked quite well; however-
There was no option for online check-in. 2 different airlines, so a Desk check in at PNH, and a transfer desk check-in in KL, which doesn’t open until three hours prior to departure of the next flight, which works wonders* with a 5 hour stopover.
Bags were checked all the way through, though.

Having done the route with Jetstar, I can say that they are the fourth choice in a three horse race.

Tiniest sip of sarcasm
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:20 pm

You would have to clear immigration in KL even if the flights used the same terminal, KL-Penang is a domestic flight.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic