Self Transfer - Hand Luggage - online Check-in

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Self Transfer - Hand Luggage - online Check-in

Post by armchairlawyer »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:02 pm

Yeah seems October they have had more than normal delays and one over 1 hour delay. But still if looking any other month, mostly flights have arrived ahead of time to Bangkok so I wouldn't not say flights are often an hour late.

https://www.flightera.net/en/flight/Tha ... light_list
I haven't flown much with AirAsia since Covid but did so a lot 2011-19. I found them highly reliable. Generally, flight delays in SE Asia are minor compared to Europe and N. America. I have rarely had a problem with any airline in this region. Partly because much less congestion in the air space, airports operating well within capacity, less strikes etc. I find air travel one of the big plus factors for living here.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

A lot of delays at PNH over the last month were due to weather, mainly heavy rainstorms over the airport, especially in the afternoons.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Nobody has mentioned immigration in KL. Just 10 days ago I landed at KLIA1 and it took a fucking hour! They never seem to have enough staff to handle the number of passengers incoming. As I recall it was the same a year or 2 back as well, and half an hour just to get out again. Anyone with a tight connection may well be fucked.

On another note flying in and out of BKK in a couple of months. It has been years since I flew in or out of Thailand. Those of you who do so frequently, how would you rate immigration there?
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I went to KL on the 18th (afternoon) and had only 2 or 3 person in front of me at the immigration.
A lot of people seem not to like KLIA, I don't get why. I guess they have never been in the chaotic crowd management of Schiphol Airport
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Well as we can see even just here, experiences vary wildly from day to day. I wouldn't count on making a connection that includes clearing immigration within 1.5 hours, anywhere.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

in the context of 1½ hours: Worth to mention that CheckIn counters usually close one hour before departure and the times of the flight are touchdown times without taxi and unboarding. So if you can't do online check in, you have roughly 15 minutes once outside the plane to go to and through immigration and find your check in counter. Good luck
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

truffledog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:26 pm Image
Buses between the terminals???
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

My Air Asia flight PNH-DMK this week was about an hour late. Thai Immigration was swift.

I've done the sleeper train from Bangkok to Penang but much as I like trains it was horrendous. The new service that requires a change of train at the border may be an improvement.

I find it much more comfortable to travel in shorter hops with more frequent stops, rather than to rush to one specific destination.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

New Plan. Better Plan.

Go to Bangkok for a few days, and see friends there.

Go direct to Penang from DMK, return, for $66 with Firefly
https://booking.fireflyz.com.my/Select.aspx

Come back to Bangkok for a few more days.

Come back to Phnom Penh.

Total cost for 4 flights is less than $200. Two holidays for the price of one and a lot less agro.

Living in Bangkok gives you so much choice for short direct trips abroad. There are FOUR operating Bangkok to Penang route alone: Firefly, Air Asia, Thai and Thai Smile, from both BKK and DMK.
:chin:
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:20 am
truffledog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:26 pm Image
Buses between the terminals???
The transfer bus is free, the train is the airport-KL Sentral service that you have to pay for
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic