Riverside - October 2023

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Riverside - October 2023

Post by Phnom Krom »

ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am Why wouldn't posters share their opinions on the fireworks, ken? Are you one of those toxic positivity types who force those around you to pretend to be happy about everything all the time?

Anyway, my question is why were there so many heavily armed police marching up and down the streets? Is there a terrorist threat that I'm unaware of?
FWIW...13 years ago over 500 people died in a electro stampede on Day 2 of WF. Since then basically no WF except for 2 small ones in 2018/19.

So, this was the first biggie in 13 years and still smaller than 09/10....hence security to prevent the total f.up of 2010.

IMO.

It went well and was a great event. Kudos to all who pulled it off.

Why so paranoid about security? Whatcha scared of?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There was plenty of security around in 2010 but they were not doing their jobs. Since then they have been forced to be much more disciplined.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Kenr wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:55 pm
ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am Why wouldn't posters share their opinions on the fireworks, ken? Are you one of those toxic positivity types who force those around you to pretend to be happy about everything all the time?

Anyway, my question is why were there so many heavily armed police marching up and down the streets? Is there a terrorist threat that I'm unaware of?
And I can’t share my opinion on how silly of an issue it is when someone is trying to compare it to a western fireworks show? After all, these events aren’t for the visitors in this country, it’s for the locals.

And to your second question, it’s kind of a stupid question/remark on your part.
in my first post i did not compare it to a western show, i did in the 2nd, but i might add some of the best firework shows i have seen were in China and Thailand, so nothing really to do with any specific location, it was just a really shite firework display. countless people i have spoken with and was with at the time all agreed, including Cambodians. Jeez they couldnt even get the start time right, it was meant to begin at 7pm but started just before 6, we reckoned that someone had accidently let one off hence the shite display after, he carried on running around letting them all off at random.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Btw, who won?
Which province's boat?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Soriya wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:47 am
Kenr wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:55 pm

And I can’t share my opinion on how silly of an issue it is when someone is trying to compare it to a western fireworks show? After all, these events aren’t for the visitors in this country, it’s for the locals.

And to your second question, it’s kind of a stupid question/remark on your part.
in my first post i did not compare it to a western show, i did in the 2nd, but i might add some of the best firework shows i have seen were in China and Thailand, so nothing really to do with any specific location, it was just a really shite firework display. countless people i have spoken with and was with at the time all agreed, including Cambodians. Jeez they couldnt even get the start time right, it was meant to begin at 7pm but started just before 6, we reckoned that someone had accidently let one off hence the shite display after, he carried on running around letting them all off at random.
I never specified which post you mentioned it in, and you did reference a specific location and event, Water Festival in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. And from my experience here, 7 pm Cambodian time could be between 6 pm to 8 pm.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I walked through Wot Botum park, and along the prom passed the palace to street 148. They may have cleared up most of the rubbish, but they need to do some serious cleaning of the pavements, they are caked in filth. A few days and a few teams with pressure washers and it'll be shining in no time.

I seriously hope the won't just let rain clean it in 6 months time.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:49 pm I walked through Wot Botum park, and along the prom passed the palace to street 148. They may have cleared up most of the rubbish, but they need to do some serious cleaning of the pavements, they are caked in filth. A few days and a few teams with pressure washers and it'll be shining in no time.

I'd guess that they'll send in the cleaners just on time for the next major event.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:49 pm I walked through Wot Botum park, and along the prom passed the palace to street 148. They may have cleared up most of the rubbish, but they need to do some serious cleaning of the pavements, they are caked in filth. A few days and a few teams with pressure washers and it'll be shining in no time.

Khmers do not have any concerns about pollution, in fact the youngsters are worts than the previous generations. Cambodia is a fourth world country, and it is not about to change.
Boredom is like a shroud
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Same on Riverside, it is mostly black now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic