Riverside - October 2023

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Riverside - October 2023

Post by Soriya »

hanno wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:19 am I had attended the Water Festival in Siem Reap a few times but never in Phnom Penh. I am not big on crowds but I figured that I had to check it out. Walking from the Hotel Cambodiana wasn't too bad at first, but once I reached Chaktomuk conference hall, things got a little busy. I did see of the racing boats sink, but rescue was there in no time. There was no chance of actually seeing the races, the crowds were solid.

This boat was out of the race.

I met a friend at Touk restaurant. They wanted a minimum consumption of $12.50 per person to sit along the balcony railing. That was not a problem as we were planning to have lunch and a few cold ones. Crowds were not too bad as there was obviously no traffic on Sisowath Quay. Well, apart from the odd "VIP" with vanity plates that had to push his SUV through the crowd.

Police were everywhere, makes you realize just what a police state this has become. I counted 9 different uniforms, but there were plenty of undercover cops as well. Some pickpocket grabbed a phone but got caught immediately by plainclothes police. The crowd was not happy but the police were adamant that there would be no mob justice today. I did see a spotter and sharpshooter on a roof overlooking the whole area.

Coppers everywhere.

Even on the roof tops.

By 18:00, the crowds were just mind blowing. Kudos to the police though, they directed the masses well, sending incoming people up 178 Street. Someone got roasted on here for saying the fireworks were nuff. Well, they were, at least yesterday. A few random rockets and that was it.

I walked back after the fireworks. We went back past the palace as Riverside was just way too packed. I had a flip-flop blow-out soon after leaving, had to make my way barefoot. Luckily ot was nothing like say New Year's Eve in Germany, where the streets would be covered in broken glass.

There is always one.

All in all, very enjoyable. I will try and wangle my way into the tourist/barang tent tonight for better views. Though it does seem that they are not serving beer in there.
They are giving out free beer in there today

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Soriya wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:38 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:17 am
hanno wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:19 am I

I walked back after the fireworks. We went back past the palace as Riverside was just way too packed. I had a flip-flop blow-out soon after leaving, had to make my way barefoot. Luckily ot was nothing like say New Year's Eve in Germany, where the streets would be covered in broken glass.
Great report. The previous discussion about the fireworks related to Sunday's display, which lasted one hour.

1 hour of random rockets, no actual choreographed display that would of improved it massively.
I live within the pressure wave of the fireworks and whenever they set them off, which is all year round for various reasons, I get to see them. They seem to have one display, it's always the same and is dull after a few minutes. The one-hour display seems to be the 20 minute display repeated 3 times. But, the locals like it, and this is for their benefit, not ours.

On the bright side, it's nice to see the crowds enjoying themselves and behaving very well. Far better than 250,000 Brits would be in such a confined space after a day of beer drinking.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Of all the things to bitch about not meeting western standards here, fireworks is what a few on here go with? Wow!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

It was the 3rd, and last, day of this year's Water Festival and I braved the crowds once more. But first I checked out the garden at the hotel. Turned out to be pretty good business for us. Numbers of visitors had doubled on the second day and doubled again yesterday.

There were even more people on the streets than the day before, as unlike as that seems. I headed for the "barang" tent, not an easy undertaking. Whilst the promenade was packed, the crowds at least moved. This changed once I got closer to the Royal Palace. It would appear that the King was there for the final fireworks. This meant that most of Sisowath Quay was blocked by cars and the security cordon around them. It took me a good 20 minutes to cover 800 meters.

I did make it to the tourist tent eventually, passing metal detectors and security. The tent, and the area around it, was also quite full, albeit nothing like the public areas. @Soriya not only had they run out of beer, they had run out of everything. Pretty much as soon as I arrived, the floating boat parade started, followed shortly by the fireworks. Quite a spectacle, even if the fireworks were a little more of the same (no negativity, just fact). I stayed for about 30 minutes before heading out in search for a beer.

I had lost my friend along the way and the phone did not work, I am. guessing the networks were completely overloaded. We had agreed to meet at 7-11 if we got separated, but that proved to be impossible. I let the crowds carry me down Street 178 and to the U&I Mart. They had Wifi and I managed to contact my friend who took a little while to get there.

From there, we went to Street 172, which was very quiet, for a couple of more beers. We agreed that it was a pretty good event: festive mood, very well organized overall, and I never felt too uncomfortable in the massive crowds.

I did go for a run this morning, expecting to be knee-deep in rubbish, but the little gremlins had obviously been busy all night. Sure there was rubbish, to be expected with the amount of people, but I have seen much worse after music festivals in Europe.

ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Why wouldn't posters share their opinions on the fireworks, ken? Are you one of those toxic positivity types who force those around you to pretend to be happy about everything all the time?

Anyway, my question is why were there so many heavily armed police marching up and down the streets? Is there a terrorist threat that I'm unaware of?
Scarier than malaria.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am Why wouldn't posters share their opinions on the fireworks, ken? Are you one of those toxic positivity types who force those around you to pretend to be happy about everything all the time?

Anyway, my question is why were there so many heavily armed police marching up and down the streets? Is there a terrorist threat that I'm unaware of?
I would wonder also , my embassy sent me an email saying “ be careful “ don’t go out -
with many warnings to be careful of
I wouldn’t even go out in siem reap , but wouldn’t have any miss givings about anything
at sihanoukville in the old days , don’t know about nowadays but there ain’t no traffic on beaches .
I only ever go to Pp for business and get out and away again quickly.
No lolly gagging .

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am Why wouldn't posters share their opinions on the fireworks, ken? Are you one of those toxic positivity types who force those around you to pretend to be happy about everything all the time?

There are sooo many that are already on the payroll that it's probably better that they put in a few days work to make them feel as if they are really doing an important job, rather than have them sit around drinking with their mates.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am my question is why were there so many heavily armed police marching up and down the streets? Is there a terrorist threat that I'm unaware of?

Perhaps Hanno’s observation explains it, if the King, and any attending foreign dignitaries, were present.
hanno wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:56 am It would appear that the King was there for the final fireworks. This meant that most of Sisowath Quay was blocked by cars and the security cordon around them. It took me a good 20 minutes to cover 800 meters.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:58 am
ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am my question is why were there so many heavily armed police marching up and down the streets? Is there a terrorist threat that I'm unaware of?

Perhaps Hanno’s observation explains it, if the King, and any attending foreign dignitaries, were present.
hanno wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:56 am It would appear that the King was there for the final fireworks. This meant that most of Sisowath Quay was blocked by cars and the security cordon around them. It took me a good 20 minutes to cover 800 meters.
No, they were doing that every day. The BHQ seem to be some elite unit(?) but they were friendly enough, letting people take photos with them. The guys patrolling up and down seemed to be less elite, quite a few pouches among them, but they violently objected to anyone trying to pose with them. As I mentioned earlier: the police/army/gendarmerie presence was astonishing. And that is without all the plain-clothes guys milling about. When I say guys: very few uniformed ladies about.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

And I can’t share my opinion on how silly of an issue it is when someone is trying to compare it to a western fireworks show? After all, these events aren’t for the visitors in this country, it’s for the locals.

And to your second question, it’s kind of a stupid question/remark on your part.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic