Riverside - October 2023

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Riverside - October 2023

Post by Soriya »

Gazzy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:33 am
Soriya wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:36 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:16 pm On riverside itself it is a glorious spectacle. The road is closed to all traffic and people are strolling along the full width of the road and the promenade.
A one hour long fireworks display has just ended and a procession of superb illuminated boats glide by.
It’s as good a show as you would see anywhere
That was the worst hour of fireworks i have ever witnessed.
In what way?
It just seemed like random fireworks being let off, not a spectacle that many western firework displays put on.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Soriya wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:02 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:16 pm On riverside itself it is a glorious spectacle. The road is closed to all traffic and people are strolling along the full width of the road and the promenade.
A one hour long fireworks display has just ended and a procession of superb illuminated boats glide by.
In what way?
It just seemed like random fireworks being let off, not a spectacle that many western firework displays put on.
Yeah, I forgot you’re supposed to have a degree in firework setting off or nobody will enjoy it. My biggie.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Gazzy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:28 am Wonder what 136 and 130 bars were like, last night?
They were amazing, They had all turned inside out, with their furniture arranged carefully on the street and pool tables and everything. Hostesses were entertaining punters out in the open, much to the amusement of passing rural kids. It was like a block party of whoring and decadence.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

In what way?
Then maybe your explanations were too high. Everything was good from where I was at.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:06 pm
In what way?
Then maybe your explanations were too high. Everything was good from where I was at.
Gaza or West Bank ?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:51 am
Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:06 pm

In what way?
Gaza or West Bank ?
Does it matter?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I was sitting sunday-afternoon outside nipping from my beer, never seen so much people on the riverside, ofcourse also because the road was closed. Walking on 136 or 144 was pretty normal until the crossroad from 5, there was a policeman who blocked the road for traffic simply with a cord (the african-toll-gate-system hahaha). Works perfect i would say. The place where i was nipping from my beer was in or outside pretty normal-busy for a sunday. The firework doesnt intrest me at all, went around 8 to have dinner at 110 and also there it was pretty normal-busy. Traffic was terrible and because of that during the day it was very busy at the restaurant they said. Went around 10 to 104 and also bussiness as useal. The crowds are 99% khmers ofcourse, which barang plans a holiday to come here for the waterfestival ?? None ofcourse. The useal expats do their useal things.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I had attended the Water Festival in Siem Reap a few times but never in Phnom Penh. I am not big on crowds but I figured that I had to check it out. Walking from the Hotel Cambodiana wasn't too bad at first, but once I reached Chaktomuk conference hall, things got a little busy. I did see of the racing boats sink, but rescue was there in no time. There was no chance of actually seeing the races, the crowds were solid.

This boat was out of the race.

I met a friend at Touk restaurant. They wanted a minimum consumption of $12.50 per person to sit along the balcony railing. That was not a problem as we were planning to have lunch and a few cold ones. Crowds were not too bad as there was obviously no traffic on Sisowath Quay. Well, apart from the odd "VIP" with vanity plates that had to push his SUV through the crowd.

Police were everywhere, makes you realize just what a police state this has become. I counted 9 different uniforms, but there were plenty of undercover cops as well. Some pickpocket grabbed a phone but got caught immediately by plainclothes police. The crowd was not happy but the police were adamant that there would be no mob justice today. I did see a spotter and sharpshooter on a roof overlooking the whole area.

Coppers everywhere.

Even on the roof tops.

By 18:00, the crowds were just mind blowing. Kudos to the police though, they directed the masses well, sending incoming people up 178 Street. Someone got roasted on here for saying the fireworks were nuff. Well, they were, at least yesterday. A few random rockets and that was it.

I walked back after the fireworks. We went back past the palace as Riverside was just way too packed. I had a flip-flop blow-out soon after leaving, had to make my way barefoot. Luckily ot was nothing like say New Year's Eve in Germany, where the streets would be covered in broken glass.

There is always one.

All in all, very enjoyable. I will try and wangle my way into the tourist/barang tent tonight for better views. Though it does seem that they are not serving beer in there.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

hanno wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:19 am I

I walked back after the fireworks. We went back past the palace as Riverside was just way too packed. I had a flip-flop blow-out soon after leaving, had to make my way barefoot. Luckily ot was nothing like say New Year's Eve in Germany, where the streets would be covered in broken glass.
Great report. The previous discussion about the fireworks related to Sunday's display, which lasted one hour.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:17 am
hanno wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:19 am I

Great report. The previous discussion about the fireworks related to Sunday's display, which lasted one hour.

1 hour of random rockets, no actual choreographed display that would of improved it massively.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic