1st visit Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Timms1988
Tourist
Netherlands

1st visit Cambodia

Post by Timms1988 »

Hey guys,

I'm new here, my name is Timothy, I live in Thailand and planning now my frist trip to Cambodia (Phnom Penh).
Nice meeting you all.
I've already done some homework but many sites and forums have old information therefore i'm not quite sure how valid all this data is as of 2023.
So the questions I have are:

* Which area to stay?
I prefer to stay in an area which is central to girly bar night life, I know there are more areas but I would like to have you guys oppinion about this.

* Hotel reccomendation:
Within the prefered area, which hotel do you suggest which is guest friendly?
Preferable 5 stars and else 4 stars.

* Where can I get dollars? From every ATM around the area?

Would highly appreciate your feedback :).
Best regards,
Timothy.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 1st visit Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Riverside is area with the bars. You don't need to stay there, with grab tuk tuk everything is reachable within 15 min (not in rush hours). But if you want to stay in the middle of happening, my friend always stay at the Lux hotel on st.136.
Bring some change in $ for taxi and first day when you arrive, ATM"s are everywhere.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I have stayed at the lux as well< great value for $22 ( or $25 with breakfast.. although better breakfast outside the hotel ) 2 star
right in the center of things, Never need a tuk tuk unless u want head to toul sleng and the killing fields
as ur coming from Thailand no reason to visit any of the malls
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Asking for a ***** hotel, you get recommendations for a ** hotel :facepalm:
It might be risky asking directions for girls, just sayin '^^

Happy exploring !
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:56 am Asking for a ***** hotel, you get recommendations for a ** hotel :facepalm:
It might be risky asking directions for girls, just sayin '^^

Happy exploring !

Booking shows 4 stars.
https://www.booking.com/hotel/kh/lux-ri ... #hotelTmpl
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Sun moon hotel on 136 is better than lux.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Soriya wrote:Sun moon hotel on 136 is better than lux.
I would second this. Sun and Moon was always one of the top choices when I stayed in Phnom Penh. Always good service, rooftop bar and pool, good breakfast buffet. Room price and deposit kept out the backpackers and druggies. Always saw dressed (business suits and evening gowns) Khmer and foreigner guests.

Street 136 to Riverside is full of foreigner girlie bars and restaurants. Gay bar is right next door.

It’s not a five star like the Rosewood Hotel. Only the blind foreigner has stayed at the Rosewood that I know of.

Good luck!
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

get a Cambodian SIM when you arrive with data on it ...then get pass app app... local tuk tuk hailing app...you can enter destination and it comes up with cost of journey so no haggling with tuk tuks ....who half the time dont know where your asking them to take you... it will save you time and money if you want to go anywhere in PP ..works in other cities as well
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fyi:
my bad, never stayed at the lux<
meant the silver mounts hotel
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... _Penh.html
Hotel is clean, air con good, wifi good> all u need at a great price
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic