Breakfast in Daun Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Breakfast in Daun Penh?

Post by Freightdog »

orichá wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:18 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:11 am
orichá wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:28 am Please don't mention Harry's... I think the prices there are laughably high... only a fool with too much money... Can afford it...
Sorry, missed that one.

In that case avoid Brown.
PU Rock cafe looks reasonable, good reviews, simple omelette.... Not overpriced like nearly almost all restos in Phnom Penh. Coffee in Phnom Penh is 2 dollars. In Siem Reap, only 1 dollar... Sad times.

It's really sad hoedown ...
I’m guessing that Siem Reap is too far out of your way?

Khmer food, St136, corner of 13.
Front bar, St18
Phsar Chas, plenty of Khmer noodles and stuff inside. Actually, I go to Harry’s when she goes to Phsar Chas. Total bill for breakfast is then quite reasonable.

Not in Daun Penh, (have bike, no need to travel) but there’s a little place close to me, does an adequate Bacon and eggs, pot of tea, or decent coffee.
Downside- One needs own frying pan, gas hob, ingredients, kettle, water, tea bags. My lad likes it, though.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Yes, I forgot the 2000 real local coffee. Which is actually pretty good if you are lucky to hit the right cafe.

I do know there are quite a few places up there that serve local bbq breakfast or chicken with rice...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Restaurant du Coin, on riverside just north of st 130. Breakfast including coffee $3. Or omelette including choice of 2 fillings, juice and coffee $3.80.

Or Golden House hotel on 136, just east of st 5 - omelette breakfast with choice of 3 fillings, toast and very good coffee $4.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

"Overpriced" is relative - I suspect quite a few of the 6000-12000R breakfasts at small stalls and cafes have a greater profit margin for the operators than many $5-10 breakfasts at venues with obscene monthly rents, too many lazy staff, taxes, & massive utility bills on top of a rather huge initial fitout

Pork and rice two doors down st 19 from corner of 136, open 5am to 10am around 5000R - heavenly
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

orichá wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:22 am
Bluenose wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:12 am What constitutes "early" for you?
Oh maybe 8 a.m.or 9 a.m. ... I guess I keep thinking that since COVID there have been fewer options available in the tourist zone ... I know about a good old Indonesian restaurant for lunch, but that's about it ..
Half the Khmer breakfast stalls will be packing up by then!
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:37 am
orichá wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:53 am Stupid question....

I have to ride my bicycle to the post office some early morning this week.

Are there any places open very early in the old Daun Penh area where you can get a fair breakfast of some kind? Probably not... But just asking...
Brown coffee on the Riverside is close and has some decent sandwiches.

I pity you guys living there ..
I wonder if all Browns are created equal ? I don’t ever go to them coffee joints for cawfee .
I will check the one in siem reap to see if they have any “ decent “ sandwiches
I don’t like the looks of them at the supermarket , & habit burgers stuff is too breaddy .
( and terrible waste of packaging “to go “ at habit burger)
I go for 5 star chicken but not the local “ no name “ version of fried chicken 🍗
I can’t f🤬🤬 wonder why the big ankgor supermarket here don’t install a delicatessen..
Or why the chicken sellers here don’t offer sticky rice .. like in 🫣🤫 thailand 🇹🇭
I got 3 rice cookers but I can’t even cook rice
I’m afraid to go eat at most places except for Burger King 👑
พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

orichá wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:38 am Yes, I forgot the 2000 real local coffee. Which is actually pretty good if you are lucky to hit the right cafe.

I do know there are quite a few places up there that serve local bbq breakfast or chicken with rice...
I got about a million hard plastic glasses from those 50¢ drinks come in ..
the whole world is a mess , wherever I go I bring my own plastic and tell them to
“ hold the plastic “ spoons , forks , and sporks -
I keep wondering if I will ever have a party and use them all again
I can’t throw them away , all clean and waiting to be recycled sometime

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

There is a café at the Main Post Office on the left end of the building near to all of the ATMs, that opens early and serves both Khmer and Western food and decent coffee too. I often use it when catching a Post Office VIP Van to another destination.

OML
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Doesn't Larry's serve breakfast?
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:37 am Doesn't Larry's serve breakfast?
Like he can afford there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic