What make khmer440.com Cambodia forum so infamous?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Re: What make khmer440.com forum so infamous?

Post by Kampong Spooner »

wasabi wrote:Back on topic.........

To the OP - Samouth. If you wanted to know something about Apple - would you call up Samsung and ask their advice on Apple products? Let's say one wanted to know about Buddhism, would you recommend me to go find out from a Muslim?

You're doing something quite similar with this type of question.

I certainly don't agree with your observation here....
Samouth wrote:Thanks everyone for your inputs. It seemed like many people have bad experiences with Khmer440 rather than good experience. This really helped me to learn more about khmer440.
I have posted on K440 for 10 years, and the negative experiences are no different to what you might get here in general.
For example - let's say you posted on K440 the first thread you created on CEO "Days, Months, Seasons (In Khmer Language)"
I am sure that you would have got very positive comments even praise.

But let's say you started a thread saying that you met a taxigirl and have fallen madly in love with her and will help her break the cycle by looking after her with all you money blah blah blah ..... then rightfully, you will find the comments will generally be negative, and vitriol thrown in your direction.
It is true that there is an element of cliques over there, but IMO it is not much different over here either.
You have to remember that K440 started in the days when Phnom Penh was wild and raw for foreigners - and so some of the legendary posters over there such as Horse, Peaceman, Felgerkarb, Hanky and the like - reflected the wild-natured type of foreigner living here at that time. Discussions frequently centred on booze, drugs and women. That is not to say that more useful topics of discussion were not also part of the forum. There were many posters - and I'll mention here a couple - SunSan (RIP), your very own Vlad, Laud John, AiA etc - who were sources of local knowledge, or generally providers of interesting information and topics.
As the foreigner demographic in Cambodia has changed, so did the type of poster - and interestingly, there didn't seem to be much of a transition. So from the raw, hard-edged to all of a sudden woosey, poofy, attention seekers who like to sip lattes as opposed to having a all night binge appeared. Some of the posts from these ones bordered on the inane, to the out-right "why the fuck are you here" type poster. Some of these have moved to this forum, because they didn't like "the vibe" over there. Others moved here because they were personally attacked by an owner who became more and more paranoid as the years went on (I always liked KIR - he was a decent chap early on, but in the end, I think the whole forum war etc - probably also contributed to his increasingly become a cnut big time, and likely to his untimely death as well).

I would challenge you to post over there as well - introduce yourself like you did here, and I am sure that you would get a welcomed reception. You seem like an intelligent fellow, and with a whole lot more depth than the resident Cambodian over there. But if you start another "I am bored" thread - then you will get absolutely no sympathy from me as they can kick your sorry arse back over here :beer3:

Best post on an otherwise pointless thread. :hattip:
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
bendix
Expatriate

Post by bendix »

General Mackevili wrote:
vladimir wrote:
Fwiw, the discussion/ conversation I had with scooby re not returning was via facebook.

I personally don't see the relevance of what media was used, but that's just me.
:thumb:

Now that vladimir has clarified that the exchange wasn't via a series of Private Messages (it couldn't have been as he was banned at the time), is Gen Mac now saying that Facebook exchanges about forum matters should be privileged and not be communicated on the forum also?

And if that is the case, how would he deal with his own telling the story a couple of times on CEO threads of how I wouldn't reopen is cambod account on 440? That conversation happened via a Whatsapp exchange, but he was happy to reveal the contents here.

I had no problem with that; indeed it seemed perfectly acceptable to me. I just want to be clear that we are all acting in accordance with the General's high moral standards, including himself. Just for the sake of consistency, of course.

What a load of drama queen bollocks :facepalm:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Kampong Spooner wrote:
wasabi wrote:Back on topic.........

To the OP - Samouth. If you wanted to know something about Apple - would you call up Samsung and ask their advice on Apple products? Let's say one wanted to know about Buddhism, would you recommend me to go find out from a Muslim?

You're doing something quite similar with this type of question.

I certainly don't agree with your observation here....
Samouth wrote:Thanks everyone for your inputs. It seemed like many people have bad experiences with Khmer440 rather than good experience. This really helped me to learn more about khmer440.
I have posted on K440 for 10 years, and the negative experiences are no different to what you might get here in general.
For example - let's say you posted on K440 the first thread you created on CEO "Days, Months, Seasons (In Khmer Language)"
I am sure that you would have got very positive comments even praise.

But let's say you started a thread saying that you met a taxigirl and have fallen madly in love with her and will help her break the cycle by looking after her with all you money blah blah blah ..... then rightfully, you will find the comments will generally be negative, and vitriol thrown in your direction.
It is true that there is an element of cliques over there, but IMO it is not much different over here either.
You have to remember that K440 started in the days when Phnom Penh was wild and raw for foreigners - and so some of the legendary posters over there such as Horse, Peaceman, Felgerkarb, Hanky and the like - reflected the wild-natured type of foreigner living here at that time. Discussions frequently centred on booze, drugs and women. That is not to say that more useful topics of discussion were not also part of the forum. There were many posters - and I'll mention here a couple - SunSan (RIP), your very own Vlad, Laud John, AiA etc - who were sources of local knowledge, or generally providers of interesting information and topics.
As the foreigner demographic in Cambodia has changed, so did the type of poster - and interestingly, there didn't seem to be much of a transition. So from the raw, hard-edged to all of a sudden woosey, poofy, attention seekers who like to sip lattes as opposed to having a all night binge appeared. Some of the posts from these ones bordered on the inane, to the out-right "why the fuck are you here" type poster. Some of these have moved to this forum, because they didn't like "the vibe" over there. Others moved here because they were personally attacked by an owner who became more and more paranoid as the years went on (I always liked KIR - he was a decent chap early on, but in the end, I think the whole forum war etc - probably also contributed to his increasingly become a cnut big time, and likely to his untimely death as well).

I would challenge you to post over there as well - introduce yourself like you did here, and I am sure that you would get a welcomed reception. You seem like an intelligent fellow, and with a whole lot more depth than the resident Cambodian over there. But if you start another "I am bored" thread - then you will get absolutely no sympathy from me as they can kick your sorry arse back over here :beer3:

Best post on an otherwise pointless thread. :hattip:
I don't know how you define it as pointless thread? I did read his post and also increased his karma for this great information and stuff.

Sorry folk as you spent time write on this pointless thread.

Kampong Spooner, i will have to see you on 31. Please say hello. haha.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

bendix wrote:Now that vladimir has clarified that the exchange wasn't via a series of Private Messages (it couldn't have been as he was banned at the time), is Gen Mac now saying that Facebook exchanges about forum matters should be privileged and not be communicated on the forum also?

And if that is the case, how would he deal with his own telling the story a couple of times on CEO threads of how I wouldn't reopen is cambod account on 440? That conversation happened via a Whatsapp exchange, but he was happy to reveal the contents here.

I had no problem with that; indeed it seemed perfectly acceptable to me. I just want to be clear that we are all acting in accordance with the General's high moral standards, including himself. Just for the sake of consistency, of course.

What a load of drama queen bollocks :facepalm:
Here, you forgot this :stir:

Don't forget to bring that hatchet on Friday. :wink:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I'm bringing my cricket box.

imagine the trauma millions of beautiful women will suffer if the crown jewels get damaged by a head-butt/biting.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Oh man...it's going to be a massacre.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

scobienz wrote:Vlad' return is odd because he has been slamming 440 on CEO for the last few months and I still have his messages to me from the middle of May swearing he would never post here again.
bendix wrote:
Now that vladimir has clarified that the exchange wasn't via a series of Private Messages...
LoL, those WERE Private Messages, as you so clearly boasted about saving. I didn't know what platform they were on. (Unless you are saying that they were public posts on your/his Facebook wall, which would beg the question of why you were calling them "messages.")

I was only commenting that you wouldn't unban Cambod, not throwing PM's in your face and saying I saved them to use against you later, like you were doing with Vlad. :facepalm:

I assume you can see the difference. Seemed the only reason you would have posted that you have messages from Vlad that you saved with him saying he'd never post on your forum is because of your mean streak. Image
bendix wrote:
I had no problem with that; indeed it seemed perfectly acceptable to me.
Of course it was acceptable. I use good judgment and never use PM's to embarrass members or prove that I'm "right." I was just commenting that you wouldn't unban me, I wasn't trying to publicly ridicule you or use your Private Messages against you to make you look bad, like you were clearly doing with Vlad. The fact that you said you "saved" them makes it obvious you were being malicious in your intent.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Username Taken wrote:
Don't forget to bring that hatchet on Friday. :wink:
Can we all leave our hatchets at home and bury them there BEFORE we come to the party? :assassin:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

bendix wrote:What a load of drama queen bollocks
And magically here you are.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote:I'm bringing my cricket box.
Jiminy, just how many crickets do you have?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Locked Previous topicNext topic