Why is this butter so inexplicably cheap?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Why is this butter so inexplicably cheap?

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

A lot of supermarkets in Siem Reap (e.g, AAA Supermarket, Asia Supermarket, etc.) will sell generic, unbranded butter at ~5USD/kg, which is extremely cheap compared to how much butter usually costs when you buy the imported French stuff.

I was extremely skeptical at first, but tbh...it doesn't taste bad at all, and actually akin to Anchor butter from New Zealand. A slight grassy aftertaste, very rich, yellow colour, and no signs of adulteration or mischief. I just baked some chocolate chip cookies with it, and it honestly came out really tasty.

What explains this? Is this local butter from Khmer farmers? Is this illegally obtained butter? It's never branded and always comes in generic grocery store plastic-wrap:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Why is this butter so inexplicably cheap?

Post by Ghostwriter »

The legend says it's made of breast milk leftovers, collected from a string of maternities, resold in bulk to a dairy transformer who makes affordable butter and pizza cheese for Siem Reap top gourmets willing to support alternative & middlemen-free local business initiatives.
Spoiler:
The hints of almond and chestnuts are from of the various knob cheese contributions, scraped from the bin-collected condoms with a spoon
Tasty eh ?^^ Image
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

OT, is Ghee (clarified butter) sold in Cambodia?
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

stevenjb wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:37 am OT, is Ghee (clarified butter) sold in Cambodia?
You can get it at various Indian marts in Phnom Penh. Not sure about other cities
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:45 am Image

A lot of supermarkets in Siem Reap (e.g, AAA Supermarket, Asia Supermarket, etc.) will sell generic, unbranded butter at ~5USD/kg, which is extremely cheap compared to how much butter usually costs when you buy the imported French stuff.

I was extremely skeptical at first, but tbh...it doesn't taste bad at all, and actually akin to Anchor butter from New Zealand. A slight grassy aftertaste, very rich, yellow colour, and no signs of adulteration or mischief. I just baked some chocolate chip cookies with it, and it honestly came out really tasty.

What explains this? Is this local butter from Khmer farmers? Is this illegally obtained butter? It's never branded and always comes in generic grocery store plastic-wrap:
It's possibly the home-made 'butter' that they nam pang sellers make and use.
I could be wrong, but I think it's made from hand-whipped cooking oil with egg yolks.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

stevenjb wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:37 am OT, is Ghee (clarified butter) sold in Cambodia?
Yeah
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have seen this stuff marked as "Australian butter" in minimart. I presumed that "Australian butter" is code for Margarine
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I doubt it's real butter given the prices of milk.

It doesn't look as nice as a well packaged piece of butter as I know it too.... More like margarine which wasn't properly cooled all the time.
Spoiler:
On the other hand, in a 'supper market' you'd expect real butter of the finest quality.... :stir:
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thing is, it tastes like real butter (even has a slightly grassy aftertaste), melts in one's hands like real butter, and makes really good cookies like real butter; if it was eggs whipped with oil, it wouldn't work in recipes and if it was margarine, it would taste like margarine and melt like margarine (especially considering that palm oil and soybean oil, the two most likely replacement oils, don't melt like butter do), but it's almost certainly real butter, I just don't know where from or of what origin.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

According to Selina Wamucii (a Kenyan agricultural collective that works with farmers in the 3rd world and also does analytics), the price is well in line with the wholesale price of generic butter in Cambodia:
The retail price range for Cambodia butter in October is between US$ 5.31 and US$ 9.8 per kilogram or between US$ 2.41 and US$ 4.44 per pound(lb).
So I have no doubt that it's real butter, as that's well within the price range of bulk, generic butter. Perhaps it's made from butterfat leftover from the yogurt industry? Imported from India (it does taste somewhat like Amul now that I think of it)?
Last edited by HaifongWangchuck on Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic