Have you put on weight since moving to Cambodia? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How much weight have you gained since moving to Cambodia?

1. My BMI is usually pretty good wherever I am.
23%
2. Put on one or two extra kilos. 1-5kg
9%
3. Now carrying more than a few extra kilos. 5-10kg
23%
4. Stacked on a bit more than I should have. 10kg-15kg
5%
5. It's got away from me a bit. 15-20kg
5%
6. I'm now renting out the front of my shirt as advertising space. 20+kg
5%
7. I've lost weight.
32%

Total votes: 22
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Have you put on weight since moving to Cambodia? Poll.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Have you put on weight since moving to Cambodia? Has retirement to the KOW seen your spare tyre go from fitting a lean sporty sedan to now being able to support earthmoving equipment? Or Is your body a temple wherever you roam and your BMI mostly always in the green zone?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Have you put on weight since moving to Cambodia? Poll.

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Getting fat is not for me

If anything; I could use another few kilos
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I guess we could also How often do you eat out, exercise, go to the gym,..?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:27 pm I guess we could also How often do you eat out, exercise, go to the gym,..?
exactly:
my 500 riel
eating out, one will gain
cooking at home you control the servings and eat better
also depends on ur age, as i found the older you are, ur metabolic rate changes

didn't vote
i stayed the same, (+,-kilo ) ate out 1-2 meals /week only
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I typically gain 2-3 kilos when in Cambodia. Easy enough to lose the extra weight again once I'm back in Thailand.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I put on about an extra 13 or 15 kgs during Covid period, not in Cambodia, but at the camp I was staying on in Iraq. My clients segregated me into a fenced off quarantine zone until October last year! No gym access, no running track access, no dining facility access, all meals (which were absolute shite) delivered in a polystyrene box...their reason being that I was out on the ground interacting with the local population on a daily basis, whereas all the clients (extremely risk averse, well known US Oil & Gas company) remained in their "safe space" to avoid the risk of contracting the virus.

I knew I'd put some weight on, but it wasn't really until I saw some pics my wife took of me and the kids at the water park a few months back that I realised I had become a fat bastard and seriously needed to get back in shape, managed to lose 8kg in 5 weeks during my last rotation in the sandpit, still not where I need to be weight wise, but working on it.

P.S. all the beer I drink when I'm back home in Cambodia probably doesn't help 😉
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

I've lost a considerable amount of weight since I've come to Cambodia. I used to be chubby, now I'm almost in abs-form, and I think a lot of it is down to the smaller quantities we tend to eat in this country, the farm-fresh quality of ingredients, and the fact that I tend to walk to town, which a lot of Khmer people think is silly or weird but then I enjoy morning walk into Krong Siem Reap.

I feel like it's easy to fall into a sedentary pattern while living here, but it's also very easy to use a lot of energy in the daily routine, whether it's using an អង្រែ or carrying stuff on the walk home, but I still want to cut down even more and get a lower bf%.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

I initially put on a lot of weight when I left Cambodia which I put down to no longer getting the shits on a semi regular basis. I ended up buying a treadmill which I use during certain work meetings (the ones where i have to be present but dont need to contribute much) and doing sets of push-ups throughout the day. Best shape I've ever been in.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:27 pm I guess we could also How often do you eat out, exercise, go to the gym,..?
Been to the gym once in 40 years.

A horrible place, filled with sweaty narcissistic types
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

only there in summers but when in Cambodia I lose weight. It's too hot to eat lol
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic