Booking dot com not paying hoteliers in Thailand and elsewhere

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Booking dot com not paying hoteliers in Thailand and elsewhere

Post by armchairlawyer »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ical-issue

I believe the company is based in the Netherlands.
As the old saying has it:
It’s not very easy doing business with the Dutch
They ask for a lot and they don’t give much
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Booking dot com not paying hoteliers in Thailand and elsewhere

Post by phuketrichard »

yikes:
Global scandal:
Booking.com is not paying to properties (bank transfer method), they are keeping our money.
This is a global scandal that Booking.com can no longer hide: they are withholding 100% of the money from our reservations (payments by bank transfer), they have not paid the owners for several months and they continue to issue commission invoices. At this moment, this is already a question of survival for thousands of properties that are already facing very serious scenarios of potential business insolvency. Each of us needs to create strategies to survive this gross Booking.com default scenario. Thank you in advance to anyone who wants to suggest solutions.

What could be one of the most tragic corporate collapses after 2008 is already happening. Booking.com has been in default for more than 3 months with small accommodations that receive their payments by bank transfer.

There are already thousands of cases that will represent many millions of debt and thousands of legal proceedings.

In some countries, Governments are already intervening to give a voice to small accommodations that could disappear in a few WEEKS due to Booking.com's gross failure to comply.
https://partner.booking.com/en-us/commu ... rties-bank

and from 4 weeks ago:
Booking.com claims the failure to pay hotels worldwide is because they are grappling with payment system woes. The problem emerged as Booking.com’s finance system encountered technical difficulties, resulting in delayed payments for some hotels.

A message in late June promised payouts for reservations checked out between June 28 and July 19, 2023, to be processed by July 24, 2023. However, as one host pointed out, the promised date came and went without any money transfer.

After a prolonged silence, Booking.com sent a new message to hotels on August 1, pushing the payout deadline to August 4, 2023. A few properties started receiving payments but thousands are still in the dark and on the hook for big money.

This delay, coupled with the lack of communication, has fueled frustration and mistrust among hosts and has prompted many to speculate on the solvency of Booking.com. Did their finance system really get so messed up that it can’t be fixed in six months? Or are they hoarding cash, or struggling to pay costs or debts and avoid bankruptcy?
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism ... -go-unpaid

priceline (the owner; Booking holidays ) Must be shitting in their pants

Guess time to shift to Agoda Or hotels.com
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:49 pm As the old saying has it:
Could be an Indonesian proverb, they know all about it.

They ask a lot because they have little, they don't give much for the same reason, well look at their land itself and see how generous it is, no wonder here ^^
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Intriguing.

Wonder if their finances are really in the shit or if they suffered some kind of malware attack?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:54 pm
Booking Holdings, owns both bookings.com and agoda, plus a bunch more booking sites
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:49 pm https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ical-issue

I believe the company is based in the Netherlands.
As the old saying has it:
Booking and agoda wouldn't pay by transfer for years already. Their account system seemed to work by sending businesses a virtual card with the amount they owed loaded onto it
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

crob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:34 am
Booking Holdings, owns both bookings.com and agoda, plus a bunch more booking sites
I wonder if all those acquisitions and the debt pile is getting too much to handle? $3billion in one year is quite a lot.

I've used them a lot recently, perhaps it's time to delete my payment details from their systems.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

like I said in many occasions, deal directly with the hotel avoid the third party and hick up.
Boredom is like a shroud
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

cabron wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:18 am
like I said in many occasions, deal directly with the hotel avoid the third party and hick up.
The problem with dealing direct is many small hotels don't operate websites that work and communication is often difficult and delayed via email. Furthermore, they can't offer any rates that are less or equal to the online price - I believe that is part of their deal with online bookers like Bookings.com

Plus, I don't want to give my payment card details to random hotels in sketchy parts of the world to secure a booking.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cabron wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:18 am

if a hotel uses a booking engine,they can NOT offer a lower price online >

Even walk in you seldom get a lower price>many many times i have arrived and asked for a lower price than shown online and they just tell me to book online
EVEN thou they will make more $$$
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic