Lone Pine Cafe closing for good October 7

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Lone Pine Cafe closing for good October 7

Post by Freebirdzz »

Just saw the announcement on Facebook. This is a shame, they do excellent food.

I always thought they had too many young Khmer dudes working in the place though.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Lone Pine Cafe closing for good October 7

Post by ressl »

I wonder if the name was inspired from "Back to the Future" (the name of the Twin Pine Mall changed to Lone Pine Mall, after Marty drove the DeLorian over the other pine in 1955)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

ressl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:48 pm I wonder if the name was inspired from "Back to the Future" (the name of the Twin Pine Mall changed to Lone Pine Mall, after Marty drove the DeLorian over the other pine in 1955)
Maybe they saw their future and one solitary last customer alone pining.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Freebirdzz wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:27 pm Just saw the announcement on Facebook. This is a shame, they do excellent food.

I always thought they had too many young Khmer dudes working in the place though.
Food is good, but agree, last time I went, there were like 10 guys sitting in the back, playing on their phones.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Last time I was there must be 2017 by now

Good food, but overpriced - certainly then but prob normal prices by today's PP

Slow service but I guess the rooster gallery of spare pricks on their phone came later as I don't recall it

Lone Pine named after some town in rural California
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Lone Pine named after some town in rural California

I think somewhere around Joshua Tree.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

So... Well established for years. Good reputation for food. Google rating of 4.6. Trip Advisor 4.5. Not in a high-rent area.

If a place like this decides to chuck in the towel, there must be something badly wrong with the restaurant scene around here.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

ah drove through Big Pine and Lone Pine when I visited USA I was going from San Francisco to LA initially around Lake Taho but a huge forest fire there meant I had to choose me another route on my AAA maps my uncle git for me. ...I went from SF to Sonora then on down thata way
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:31 am So... Well established for years. Good reputation for food. Google rating of 4.6. Trip Advisor 4.5. Not in a high-rent area.

If a place like this decides to chuck in the towel, there must be something badly wrong with the restaurant scene around here.
IDK - maybe the owner felt it was time for a new venture

I seem to recall that LP owners had another well regarded f&b biz before/around the time LP was opened - but can't remember what it was!

If anything in PP lately it seems like an overabundance of choice might not be great for all businesses
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:16 am
Doc67 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:31 am So... Well established for years. Good reputation for food. Google rating of 4.6. Trip Advisor 4.5. Not in a high-rent area.

IDK - maybe the owner felt it was time for a new venture

I seem to recall that LP owners had another well regarded f&b biz before/around the time LP was opened - but can't remember what it was!

If anything in PP lately it seems like an overabundance of choice might not be great for all businesses
Agreed. And a lack of newcomers to try them out. Hard times, even for the good ones.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic