National Bank to Sell $110 Million to Stabilize Riel’s Exchange Rate

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

National Bank to Sell $110 Million to Stabilize Riel’s Exchange Rate

Post by phuketrichard »

I'm not an Economist but, something about this just seems wrong>
PHNOM PENH – The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) is releasing another $30 million in addition to the $80 million already released in auction throughout September to stabilize the riel currency exchange rate and to rebound the economy.

The $30 million auction will be done on Sept. 27 and Sept.29 with $15 million to be released on each date, according to an NBC statement dated Sept. 22.

The NBC has held several US dollar auctions with all banks, microfinance institutions and money changers since Sept. 6, totaling $80 million being released since the beginning of the month.

NBC released $10 million on Sept. 6, $15 million on Sept. 8, $10 million on Sept. 13, $25 million on Sept. 15, $10 million on Sept. 20 and another $ 10 million on Sept.22
.....On Sept. 22, the US dollar rose to its highest levels against the euro, the pound and the yen since at least March. After falling as low as 104.66 earlier in the day, the U.S. dollar index was higher at 105.6 prices as of Sept. 25.

The release of $80 million has helped maintain the riel exchange rate against the US dollar to an appropriate level for the market situation, but the National Bank will continue to intervene until the exchange rate situation in Cambodia stabilizes.
https://cambodianess.com/article/nation ... hange-rate
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: National Bank to Sell $110 Million to Stabilize Riel’s Exchange Rate

Post by khmerhamster »

Why does it seem wrong?
It’s one tool the NBC has to control price of Riel. It’s a fairly common practice. A couple of years ago they did it fairly regularly throughout the year.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm not an economist, but I guess the strong dollar will become a major headache for Cambodia.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 am Why does it seem wrong?
It’s one tool the NBC has to control price of Riel. It’s a fairly common practice. A couple of years ago they did it fairly regularly throughout the year.
Yes, all mational banks do it to manage the exchange rate of their currency. If they want to weaken their currency it is no problem, they simply print it and sell it. However, if they want to strengthen it , there is a limit to how much USD they hold and can sell. As Thailand discovered in 1997.
Hopefully it will be all right because the US deficit position is so bad that sooner or later the USD must crash. With a lot of government debt (at low rates) coimg due, it must be replaced by new debt at 4.5% + and then the US will be spending a large part of their tax revenue simply paying interest on their debt, and meanwhile they are showing no signs of reducing spending, quite the opposite in fact.
If they don't curb public spending radically, they either have to tax the hell out of corporations and individuals or carry on with an increasing deficit - and that will lead to a USD crash and probably the end of reserve currency status.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Yes, they're probably trying to get rid of as many federal reserve notes as possible because the US Gov't is on the brink of having another shutdown

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

No problem. When 2025 gets here all the “tax breaks” individual tax filers received in the 2017 law will revert back to the old tax brackets, although the Corporate tax cuts are permanent.
Nona
Tourist

Post by Nona »

Alex wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:43 pm I'm not an economist, but I guess the strong dollar will become a major headache for Cambodia.
The value of dollar was originally due to its gold standard, after which the entire oil market was done in dollars, but now even European countries buying oil in RMB and BRICS already released a international remittance system for trading in their respective currencies, the dollar has only one direction, down.

Reckless lending policy and regulations(as most regulators mysteriously gets hired by the banks they were supposed to regulate) and fines and penalties being only a fraction of the profit gained on illegal manipulation of markets, is not helping the situation. Despite the US government is entitled to the profit(but not dividend) of the federal reserve, it's still owned by other banks. So the same criminals who manipulate the market in their favour and bribes the regulators with 7 figure employment deals, are the same who decide how much interest you pay on your mortgage, and. A few years ago anyone I'm the US could get a mortgage with no cash saved up, and interest rates where 1.5%. Now the same banks decide you have to pay them 5%, and they hope you can't, because it's really your house they are after.

In any normal country the financial regulations are done by the government to ensure a stable market, not by the private sector who seeks to make profit on unstable markets. To believe the US government has any control is foolish, they have since long been serving only the banking and military industry eg. Ukraine, private banks creating debt out of thing air, which mostly goes to the military industry. What the taxpayers get is the responsibility to pay this debt.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Nona wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:22 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:43 pm I'm not an economist, but I guess the strong dollar will become a major headache for Cambodia.
The value of dollar was originally due to its gold standard, after which the entire oil market was done in dollars, but now even European countries buying oil in RMB and BRICS already released a international remittance system for trading in their respective currencies, the dollar has only one direction, down.
And yet, it has been quite strong recently, let's say against CNY and THB. Whatever the longterm prospects of the USD may be, this will now become a problem for Cambodia.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Alex wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:02 pm
Nona wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:22 pm
And yet, it has been quite strong recently, let's say against CNY and THB. Whatever the longterm prospects of the USD may be, this will now become a problem for Cambodia.
Cambodia export allot to the US so they should benefit from it as a stronger dollar makes it even cheaper to import products from Cambodia vs domestic production.

The downside is that imports paid for with usd will be more expensive at the same time but i dont know how much Cambodia imports with the payment in usd or what impact that would have. But most products are from Thailand and Vietnam i believe? How much does this impact the KHR/THB/VND rate?
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

I think @phuketrichard attempted to say is selling $110 millions can't make a dent to the current strength of USD.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic