KFH's very average travel blog.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

KFH's very average travel blog.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The mass of humanity above filled the Kathmandu airport Arrivals all the way back to customs, forty meters or more, as people wait to use two small lifts.

It was 36 hours between the time I got on a train to Perth Airport and arriving at a guesthouse in Kathmandu - the longest haul so far in eight trips to Nepal with a flight delay and 12 hour stopover for connection in KL.

Malaysian Airlines were pretty average I thought what with the initial long delay forcing a night in Perth Airport, and their meals/food portions on both flight were ridiculously small consisting of only a few bites - the food was fresh and tasted OK however. Entertainment systems were all working with plenty of films/games/options, but I thought leg room was tight and not much better than a low cost carrier.

Kathmandu's Tribhuvan International Airport seems a little more organized since the last trip in 2019 making immigration processing wait times considerably less and the whole affair of entering the country easier. The 3 month visa on arrival was $AU200 which is quite a jump from previous years.

The $US12 a night room 200m from the airport I'm in is old and tired, but staff are outstandingly generous with their time and attention. Intenet is 80mbs down and up. The room is clean and fine for late arrivals and if you're worn out and just need to collapse after a long day r two of travel.

Into Thamel (Kathmandu's tourist ghetto) tomorrow to open a bank account, scout some locations for Youtube vids, get some medication needed, and no doubt have a few beers with some live music at night.

This will be a pretty haphazard, cheap phone pic quality, very average travel blog.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: KFH's very average travel blog.

Post by truffledog »

Does it still rain in at Tribhuvan airport building?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

truffledog wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:04 am Does it still rain in at Tribhuvan airport?
No rain tonight.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Looking forward to this, never having been there. :beer3:

I'm surprised that tourists can still open bank accounts there. That in itself is almost a reason to visit. :Yahoo!:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:24 am Looking forward to this, never having been there. :beer3:

I'm surprised that tourists can still open bank accounts there. That in itself is almost a reason to visit. :Yahoo!:
Me to;
was last up there in 2019
let us know how tourism is> trekkers now need guides to head out ;
will hurt the economy of all the small lodges on the most popular trekes

"“This decision has been made for the tourists' benefit," Maniraj Lamichhane, director of Nepal Tourism Board, told API. "While going on solo treks, tourists often get lost and might face insecurities. In order to mitigate that we have come to the decision to put a ban on solo treks. Starting from April 1, guides are mandatory for adventure tourism.”" LOL

In 2019, more than 50,000 tourists trekked in Nepal without a guide or porter according to data from the Nepal Tourism Board.

To trek independently in Nepal’s wilderness, tourists need an official route permit and a Trekkers Information Management System card. The cost of this permit is 2,000 Nepalese Rupees per person ($15) — which increased from 1,000 per person for those travelling in groups — and travellers will no longer be able to apply for the permit without booking a guide to accompany them.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/travel/ ... m-april-1/

why do you want a bank account?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:37 am
let us know how tourism is> trekkers now need guides to head out ;
Word is the new rule of having a guide is not yet implemented as no one is checking TIMS permits on route.
why do you want a bank account?
I've had small investments here in the past due to an Australian friend having experience doing business in Nepal. I'm dipping my toe in the water again which will need me to have a local account to move money and receive my monthly dividend. I used to get a small bag of money on the first of every month dropped around to my flat by an old Nepalese guy - he must have, um, retired.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

It must be a Nepalese vehicle requirement that all taxis have their suspensions removed so as to imbue visitors to the country with a sense of adventure or something - bumpy ride.

This morning my guesthouse/hotel 200m from Kathmandu airport ordered a taxi for me to Thamel using the Pathao app (local taxi app) with the price being 400 rupees, less than half the price of the 1000 charged by taxis at the terminal across the road.

Forty minutes and two traffic jams later I got to Thamel to find a cup of tea and a long friendly chat with the guesthouse/hotel owner on offer, with our convivial exchange resulting in a room upgrade. My room is on Leknath Marg on the outside border of Thamel central and offers some views with the value of noise cancelling headphones yet again proving their worth. Internet has improved markedly it seems with even cheap rooms having good speeds - this room is 50down/20up.

I had plans of doing a few things today but as old age doesn't come alone, I don't have the energy after the long day/s getting here. Instead it will be a lazy day in the room with a wander around for food a couple of times, I guess.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Spotlessly clean, with views, in the middle of Kathmandu.

The room I originally booked didn't have windows and was noisy next to stairs and reception. Upgraded, I'm paying $US6 a night for this room, although it's advertised for $US8. The rooms are all recently renovated, spotlessly clean, and right in the heart of it all with literally a two minute walk to bars, live music etc in the heart of the tourist centre. There's a good working fan which is all you need this time of year with it being the end of monsoon and heading into winter.

The bathroom is a little small but perfectly serviceable.

While some people prefer a larger space when traveling, especially if they're not traveling alone, the value here is quite good, I think.

Lunch was across the road at a small hole-in-the-wall place that has two small tables and a view of the busy street below. It's run by a Nepalese woman I first met here four years ago. While it's very simple fare, the portions are good and the price, well..

I had a spicy plate of vegetable noodles, Fanta, and a nice chat which came to $US1.30. One street away in the tourist enclave the same would have cost you more than five times that. Heading out for a beer a little later and that's where Nepal does you no favors as alcohol is pretty expensive. I only have a drink once or twice a week which is just as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Thamel is what it is with tourist ghettos serving a purpose to a degree, I guess, even if it's just to get your game on and have a play for a night or two, but I wasn't feeling it early so looked for something else.

Found a little local momo place outside to have a beer and met three leather workers/bag makers who had just finished work and were drinking, Chhaang, the local rice wine at 100 rupees (0.75c) per litre. I had a couple and found this version of Chhaang to be quite sweet, soft and warm, a bit different to a lot of the harsh rocket fuel rice wine in Asia.

After a few local wines I had a couple of Tuborg beers and was offered an invitation to come and watch the guys make wallets and bags. It takes a day to cut and stitch a wallet, and I'm kind of interested to drop in and see the process, if for no other reason than having another beer with them when they're done with the day.They're nice people.

Grog prices are up with a 600ml (650?) Carlsberg costing 300-350 rupees ($US2.50) from a mom and pop shop, 480 rupees ($US3.60) from western style liquor store, to 850 rupees ($US6.50) at a restaurant in Thamel. I was originally quoted 500 rupees for the big bottles of Tuborg I was drinking with the bag makers, but after exchanging cigarettes, buying a few rice wines for them and hanging out, that was reduced to 400.

Heading back out with a bit of a glow up .
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:51 am Image
The mass of humanity above filled the Kathmandu airport Arrivals all the way back to customs, forty meters or more, as people wait to use two small lifts.

It was 36 hours between the time I got on a train to Perth Airport and arriving at a guesthouse in Kathmandu - the longest haul so far in eight trips to Nepal with a flight delay and 12 hour stopover for connection in KL.

Malaysian Airlines were pretty average I thought what with the initial long delay forcing a night in Perth Airport, and their meals/food portions on both flight were ridiculously small consisting of only a few bites - the food was fresh and tasted OK however. Entertainment systems were all working with plenty of films/games/options, but I thought leg room was tight and not much better than a low cost carrier.

Kathmandu's Tribhuvan International Airport seems a little more organized since the last trip in 2019 making immigration processing wait times considerably less and the whole affair of entering the country easier. The 3 month visa on arrival was $AU200 which is quite a jump from previous years.

The $US12 a night room 200m from the airport I'm in is old and tired, but staff are outstandingly generous with their time and attention. Intenet is 80mbs down and up. The room is clean and fine for late arrivals and if you're worn out and just need to collapse after a long day r two of travel.

Into Thamel (Kathmandu's tourist ghetto) tomorrow to open a bank account, scout some locations for Youtube vids, get some medication needed, and no doubt have a few beers with some live music at night.

This will be a pretty haphazard, cheap phone pic quality, very average travel blog.
I envy your courage you must be young and strong.

All the best.
Boredom is like a shroud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic