Do CEO forum users even live in Cambodia!?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do CEO forum users even live in Cambodia!?

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:47 pm LOL:
..........But if you shop locally, prices are far cheaper than anywhere in the Western world: I can buy a kg of fresh catfish for less than 12k riel, buy a kg of rice for as little as 4000riel, Coca Cola is only 1700៛ per can (and they have those plastic promo bottles for only 1500៛), carrots are 2500៛ per kg...etc. etc.

Milk is generally expensive, and I tend to drink a lot, but even then, it's still only around 3.75USD/2 liter fresh,

ALL prices more than here in Phuket,which many claim ( wrongly) is the most expensive in Thailand
Thailand tends to be really cheap, probably the cheapest country for groceries aside from Vietnam due to its strong industrial base and large agricultural output, and I also find Thai products to be far better quality than anything made in the USA or China (especially plastic goods--those zipper bags with the red apple logo are far superior to Ziploc bags), and are almost always far cheaper too. Cambodia is inexpensive as far 85% of the world is, but I find Indonesia, Thailand, and Vietnam to be far cheaper (most expensive country in the region save Singapore is probably Laos).

With that said, I tend to find the food quality here in Cambodia to be much higher than Thailand, e.g milk is far more tasty (imo, Thai milk is pretty bad, especially Dutch Mill) and eggs from Battambang are superior to those from Thailand Thailand (though that isn't to say Thai stuff is itself bad, since it isn't).
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

orichá wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:25 am Sleepless after waking up from dreams on a rainy night in Siem Reap at 3:00 a.m., I glanced at CEO to add a reply to a thread only to notice several regulars online at such a strange "late" hour...

It got me 🤔 thinking... do the majority of this board's users even reside right now in Cambodia?

Cuz, several seemed to be online at 3 a.m. !!!

Maybe there should be a rule that only people who actually live in Cambodia can reply to topics about things happening now in Cambodia, lol...? Joking.

But, it seems there are fewer and fewer expats actually living here anymore. I think eventually there won't be very many Western folks left living in Asia... just the usual bounders, a few seasonal digital gomers, poppy musicians, wandering bartenders and those laughably untouchable white-girl yoga-posers -- come here for an extended holiday -- in the most touristy places only.

(BTW: The touristy part of bar street in Siem Reap actually looks quite fake and plasticky. I kind of prefer the crush of victim-flesh and seedy-dim neon-noir of the PP riverside.)

Bar Street? I live in Siem Reap and I havent come across that yet. There is Pub Street, and along Sok San are hundreds (well maybe not literally) of bars. What part of SR do you live in?
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:51 pm
orichá wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:25 am
(BTW: The touristy part of bar street in Siem Reap actually looks quite fake and plasticky.)
Bar Street? I live in Siem Reap and I havent come across that yet. There is Pub Street, and along Sok San are hundreds (well maybe not literally) of bars. What part of SR do you live in?
Well, obviously I was referring to Pub street area near the old market in Siem Reap.... There are a lot of bars up Songsan road, too. yeah I suppose so ...I don't like cigarette smoke though.

I don't live in Siem Reap anymore. I didn't go downtown much when I did live there mainly because at the time my leg was broken and I couldn't get around...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

orichá wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:07 pm
(BTW: The touristy part of bar street in Siem Reap actually looks quite fake and plasticky.)
Well, obviously I was referring to Pub street area near the old market in Siem Reap.... There are a lot of bars up Songsan road, too. yeah I suppose so ...I don't like cigarette smoke though.

I don't live in Siem Reap anymore. I didn't go downtown much when I did live there mainly because at the time my leg was broken and I couldn't get around...
Thats probably why you misspelled the name of the street Sok San rd. An interesting observation about the 'touristy' look of Pub Street. I dont spend a lot of time there, actually there are not so many bars, mostly restaurants with a couple of night clubs, and there seems to be more locals than tourists. Its a vibrant and colourful experience just about every night, and although I havent been to every city in Asia it does seem fairly unique to the region.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hdgh29 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:34 am

Thats probably why you misspelled the name of the street Sok San rd. An interesting observation about the 'touristy' look of Pub Street. I dont spend a lot of time there, actually there are not so many bars, mostly restaurants with a couple of night clubs, and there seems to be more locals than tourists. Its a vibrant and colourful experience just about every night, and although I havent been to every city in Asia it does seem fairly unique to the region.
unique??
Khao san road
Pai main street
Phuket Soi Bangla
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:05 am
Bar Street? I live in Siem Reap
[/quote]

unique??
Khao san road
Pai main street
Phuket Soi Bangla
[/quote]

Cambodia Expats OnlineCambodia ForumsCambodia In GeneralGeneral Chatter
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

When you say "more locals than tourists", what you really mean is "more domestic tourists than foreign tourists", right? I don't think that all that many Siem Reap locals hang out in Pub Street.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:05 am

unique??
Khao san road
Pai main street
Phuket Soi Bangla
Maybe you could be possibly correct. Last time I was in Bangkok was nearly 20 years ago on business, stayed at the Riverside Marriott and drank at the Shangri La, so didnt get downtown. I remember there was a good jazz band there, but thats probably not what you mean
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

“ Maybe you could be possibly correct. Last time I was in Bangkok was nearly 20 years ago on business, stayed at the Riverside Marriott and drank at the Shangri La, so didnt get downtown. I remember there was a good jazz band there, but thats probably not what you mean “

i had a friend who died and he had the year he was born after his “ stage name “ or whatever YOU call high ( high 29 )

Pissontheroof
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

pissontheroof wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:13 pm “ Maybe you could be possibly correct. Last time I was in Bangkok was nearly 20 years ago on business, stayed at the Riverside Marriott and drank at the Shangri La, so didnt get downtown. I remember there was a good jazz band there, but thats probably not what you mean “

i had a friend who died and he had the year he was born after his “ stage name “ or whatever YOU call high ( high 29 )

Pissontheroof
I am not sure why this should be of the slightest interest, but hdgh are my initials, and the 29th is my birthday. July, actually, if you want to make a note to send me greetings.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic