Do CEO forum users even live in Cambodia!?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do CEO forum users even live in Cambodia!?

Post by Brody »

Chuck Borris wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:25 am 2017-2022. Still love the country.
2009 - 2021. Fell out of love but still care for her.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Nearly 20 years,,, fallen out of love with the place now, but still have responsibilities of supporting/raising a couple of kids here otherwise I would be back in OZ as it's too expensive to live here now as compared to 10 or 20 years ago.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

We're out here.

pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:50 am Nearly 20 years,,, fallen out of love with the place now, but still have responsibilities of supporting/raising a couple of kids here otherwise I would be back in OZ as it's too expensive to live here now as compared to 10 or 20 years ago.
I don’t ever feel I really loved it here but was a better option than Thailand after the real king died
I feel like I’m stuck here . I myself wouldn’t want to leave but was considering for the welfare of my little accident
There is way to much paperwork to register a motherless kid with american embassy here
And even with a cambodian passport not sure how to make it possible for him to be a dual citizen .
Going back to USA for even a visit these days is scary ..

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Yes. Sometimes for a couple of months, sometimes for a year. Time seems different somehow here.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:50 am Nearly 20 years,,, fallen out of love with the place now, but still have responsibilities of supporting/raising a couple of kids here otherwise I would be back in OZ as it's too expensive to live here now as compared to 10 or 20 years ago.
I'd have thought it would be more expensive to live in Australia than Cambodia ?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

jaynewcastle wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:40 pm
I'd have thought it would be more expensive to live in Australia than Cambodia ?

Just arrived back in Oz today , bought some milk , 1 Lt at $1:60 A ,,, that converts to USA $ ?. The same stuff in Cambodia would be $2 +.
Cheese just under $10 kg and a 10 inch dia ham and cheese Domino's pizza cost $7.
Yoghurt 1 kg $5
On the other side of things, if you had to pay for rent you would be much better off in Cambodia
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:50 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:40 pm

Just arrived back in Oz today , bought some milk , 1 Lt at $1:60 A ,,, that converts to USA $ ?. The same stuff in Cambodia would be $2 +.
Cheese just under $10 kg and a 10 inch dia ham and cheese Domino's pizza cost $7.
On the other side of things, if you had to pay for rent you would be much better off in Cambodia
But of course, if you eat primarily imported Australian foods and use only imported Australian products, things are much more expensive, that is true.

But if you shop locally, prices are far cheaper than anywhere in the Western world: I can buy a kg of fresh catfish for less than 12k riel, buy a kg of rice for as little as 4000riel, Coca Cola is only 1700៛ per can (and they have those plastic promo bottles for only 1500៛), carrots are 2500៛ per kg...etc. etc.

Milk is generally expensive, and I tend to drink a lot, but even then, it's still only around 3.75USD/2 liter fresh, if you buy from Kisiru Farms (which I think tastes better than the European and Western stuff anyway).

And then of course, imported Thai products are often better quality than those found in the West at 1/3 the price (e.g, mouthwash, plastic containers, glass jars)...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LOL:
..........But if you shop locally, prices are far cheaper than anywhere in the Western world: I can buy a kg of fresh catfish for less than 12k riel, buy a kg of rice for as little as 4000riel, Coca Cola is only 1700៛ per can (and they have those plastic promo bottles for only 1500៛), carrots are 2500៛ per kg...etc. etc.

Milk is generally expensive, and I tend to drink a lot, but even then, it's still only around 3.75USD/2 liter fresh,

ALL prices more than here in Phuket,which many claim ( wrongly) is the most expensive in Thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Things on my shopping list I bought today.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic