Uk citizen passport renewal on tr visa in pp

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
GarfieldsLasagna
Expatriate
Cambodia

Uk citizen passport renewal on tr visa in pp

Post by GarfieldsLasagna »

Hi all i am currently in pp on a tourist visa and my british passport has very few blank pages left which is an issue for my future travel plans.

will the consulate/embassy in Phnom Penh help a tourist renew a passport o r am i best getting myself a 6 months or 1 year work visa as i guess they'll renew a passport for me then.

Thanks
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Uk citizen passport renewal on tr visa in pp

Post by John Bingham »

The UK consulate doesn't deal with passports, they subcontracted this service to some private company.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Did mine this year so the info in this thread is recent

post599194.html#p599194

From the thread
IraHayes wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:13 pm The last time I did this was 2014 and it was done through the British Embassy here in Phnom Penh.

This time it was a little different.

1: Goto https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport and start the process and get the forms and guidance notes. print everything out and fill the form in.

2: Read the part about passport photos VERY carefully https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/pho ... ke-a-photo

3: Print out the photos making sure the person who actually does the cutting adheres to the stated sizes in the previous link.

4: Book an appointment at VFS, Phnom Penh Tower (floor 12) [email protected]

5: Take all your supporting documents and wait in the hallway next to the elevators until it's your turn then go in and hand everything over and sign for it all.

6: You'll get an email that day, or the next maybe, to let you know your application has been forwarded to HMPO

7: Sit back and wait for the email to tell you that your new passport is ready for collection.

Now, for some anecdotal information related to my renewal.

Initial email to request an appointment at VFS was done on June 8th.
Appointment was for June 15th
email confirming the forwarding of the application and documents to HMPO was on the same day, June 15th.
email notifying me that my new passport was ready to be collected came today, July 10th, and collecting it took 15 minutes from entering the building. No appointment necessary.
GarfieldsLasagna
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GarfieldsLasagna »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:19 pm Did mine this year so the info in this thread is recent

post599194.html#p599194

From the thread
IraHayes wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:13 pm The last time I did this was 2014 and it was done through the British Embassy here in Phnom Penh.

This time it was a little different.

1: Goto https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport and start the process and get the forms and guidance notes. print everything out and fill the form in.

2: Read the part about passport photos VERY carefully https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/pho ... ke-a-photo

3: Print out the photos making sure the person who actually does the cutting adheres to the stated sizes in the previous link.

4: Book an appointment at VFS, Phnom Penh Tower (floor 12) [email protected]

5: Take all your supporting documents and wait in the hallway next to the elevators until it's your turn then go in and hand everything over and sign for it all.

6: You'll get an email that day, or the next maybe, to let you know your application has been forwarded to HMPO

7: Sit back and wait for the email to tell you that your new passport is ready for collection.

Now, for some anecdotal information related to my renewal.

Initial email to request an appointment at VFS was done on June 8th.
Appointment was for June 15th
email confirming the forwarding of the application and documents to HMPO was on the same day, June 15th.
email notifying me that my new passport was ready to be collected came today, July 10th, and collecting it took 15 minutes from entering the building. No appointment necessary.

This was on a tourist visa or another kind? thanks
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It wouldn't be a good idea to apply for a passport while on a tourist visa. They are only valid for 30 days + possible single 30 day extension. Passport processing was extremely slow last year, a friend waited 18 weeks for his. I've heard it has improved a lot since but it's still probably long enough for you to end up in a $10 a day overstay situation. Maybe another poster who got one more recently can advise on the possible wait time.

Also note you can't get any Cambodian visa or extension if you have less than 3 blank pages left in your passport.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The Visa type you are on has no bearing on your passport application, but, due to the time UK passport renewals can take, your Visa is likely to expire well before you receive your new passport which would put you into overstay, at $10 per day.

Apply for a 1 month Extension of Stay of your Tourist Visa...or better yet, leave the country and re-enter on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa and then apply for a 3 month EG (General) Extension of Stay which will give you a total 4 months period of stay, then apply for your passport, 4 months should be sufficient.

Note that you must have a minimum 6 months passport validity and 3 blank Visa pages for a Visa on Arrival. For a Visa Extension of Stay you must have a minimum 2 blank Visa pages and 6 months passport validity remaining from the date your EOS will expire ie. If applying for a 1 month EOS you need at least 7 months on your passport, if applying for a a 3 month EOS then 9 months passport validity remaining, etc.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

It also important to note that you can’t convert a tourist visa to ordinary visa. You’ll need to leave and return with a fresh e-type visa (which takes up another page) before you can extend to a 6 month visa (yet another page). So if intending to do this then you’ll need to have at least 4 blank passport pages in your current passport.

But VFS won’t care what type of visa you have (tourist or e-type) they’ll renew it for you on either type. The issue is with the short nature of tourist visa and the likelihood that you be on visa overstay at $10 a day fine whilst waiting for your new passport.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

My passport was renewed 3 months ago so times and processing are current. However, I may have been lucky.
A couple of factors that probably aided the review process:-

1: This was my 2nd renewal whilst in Cambodia
2: All supporting docs were in order

I would not advise anyone submitting their passport for renewal on a tourist visa. The risk is too high that it won't come back swiftly.
Enter on the visa that allows you to extend. I forget its name as its been so long since i had to get one on arrival. My 1 year visa have always allowed me to return to Cambodia on my current visa (which was always still valid).

All of the above is a mute point if, as JB states quite correctly, you don't have 3 blank pages free in your current passport.

Edit to add: See PSD-Kiwi's post for some good advice
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

If remaining free pages are an issue, you could save one page by getting the electronic version of the E-type visa (aka business visa / ordinary visa), but you'd then need to make sure that you can use it at the border crossing you want to use to exit and re-enter Cambodia.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I had a friend who had a similar issue on a tourist visa and needed to extend the initial 30 days. The company said not enough blank pages so my friend steamed off a few of the visa pages and kept the visas just in case. He went back and no issues. Got the extension of another 30 days.

Doesn't mean would happen all the time but it worked. He kept the visas that "fell off" just in case
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic