Home Wifi- unwelcome visitors

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Home Wifi- unwelcome visitors

Post by Freightdog »

I use Smart@Home, with my own second router linked via Ethernet cable.

All too often, we’ve had issues where the connection becomes unmanageably slow. I suspect unwelcome hangers on stealing the wifi, and usually turn everything off for 10 minutes or so. It’s a blunt tool, but generally worked sufficiently well- I’m guessing whoever is connecting is just directed to someone else’s wifi connection.
But it’s a major inconvenience at times.

So, today, got an app that interrogates my connection to see who and how many active connections there are, and also went about changing my router wifi and admin passwords, again.

My own router was pretty quiet, but the smart wifi had 10 additional active connections above and beyond my own.

For a guide, often at home, I might have any of iPad, cellphone, MacBook, and a company iPad connected, though rarely more than 2 actively, and usually on my own network.
SWMBO and Junior will be using a couple of devices.

I counted no less than 15 active connections to Smart after I turned all of our devices off, bar one.
If I deleted an unknown connection, after a few minutes, a new connection would pop up, with a new IP address within the default IP address range.

Now, I’ve been through the Smart Router and reset the Admin login and Wifi, and all is quiet again. For now.

The App that I used is called Fing, from the Apple App Store. But it’s a bit clunky. Does anyone have any other suggestions (based on my home setup), or practical ideas?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Home Wifi- unwelcome visitors

Post by ItWasntMe »

Just make sure you have made a strong wifi password (not same as router password).

Instead of an app, login to your smart router through your local network 192.162.1.1 and check the active devices there.

If nobody has your wifi password except you guys there should be no issues. Unless you have neighbors brute forcing your wifi but I kind of doubt that.

Smart does suck at times though.

Note: the router saves all devices until reset, there is one list of all known devices which is different from currently active devices.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:45 am Just make sure you have made a strong wifi password (not same as router password).

Instead of an app, login to your smart router through your local network 192.162.1.1 and check the active devices there.

If nobody has your wifi password except you guys there should be no issues. Unless you have neighbors brute forcing your wifi but I kind of doubt that.

Note: the router saves all devices until reset, there is one list of all known devices which is different from currently active devices.
And then, presumably there's a place to blacklist the MAC addresses of the unwanted devices.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:45 am Just make sure you have made a strong wifi password (not same as router password).

When I was younger and living in London, I used to delight in finding unsecured wifi networks.

I would block all other devices, password protect it and give it an unreasonably offensive and/or disturbing name

Then I would have a secured network to use when at that location again - as it usually took people a week to ten days to get their isp to come out and sort out the issue

anyhow @Freightdog - changing the password will sort it for as long as it takes for your Khmer family to share the password with all the neighbours
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:18 pm

And then, presumably there's a place to blacklist the MAC addresses of the unwanted devices.
Yea why not, but that makes for an awkward family reunion when only your violent uncle Tom is blacklisted.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Change the SSID, then hide the SSID. When you scan the network the SSID will not be visible on the Network. You will have to enter the SSID you selected to then be able to login to the network.

This might help, you can Goog more;

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Wirel ... -Invisible
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:32 am I use Smart@Home, with my own second router linked via Ethernet cable.

All too often, we’ve had issues where the connection becomes unmanageably slow. I suspect unwelcome hangers on stealing the wifi, and usually turn everything off for 10 minutes or so. It’s a blunt tool, but generally worked sufficiently well- I’m guessing whoever is connecting is just directed to someone else’s wifi connection.
But it’s a major inconvenience at times.

So, today, got an app that interrogates my connection to see who and how many active connections there are, and also went about changing my router wifi and admin passwords, again.

My own router was pretty quiet, but the smart wifi had 10 additional active connections above and beyond my own.

For a guide, often at home, I might have any of iPad, cellphone, MacBook, and a company iPad connected, though rarely more than 2 actively, and usually on my own network.
SWMBO and Junior will be using a couple of devices.

I counted no less than 15 active connections to Smart after I turned all of our devices off, bar one.
If I deleted an unknown connection, after a few minutes, a new connection would pop up, with a new IP address within the default IP address range.

Now, I’ve been through the Smart Router and reset the Admin login and Wifi, and all is quiet again. For now.

The App that I used is called Fing, from the Apple App Store. But it’s a bit clunky. Does anyone have any other suggestions (based on my home setup), or practical ideas?
Any 'internet of things' stuff connected you forgot about?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

No. I went around, got every single device and turned them all off, except for the one device that I was using to access the router.
Periodically, I will change passwords anyway on my own devices. I’ve been rather more comprehensive with the Smart router, this time, though.

I’m guessing that there’s enough kit and knowledge to get around most wifi security. The more technology advances, the more I want to disconnect.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:50 pm I’m guessing that there’s enough kit and knowledge to get around most wifi security.
Not really, strong, updated network with unique credentials and WPA2/WPA3 encryption is outside the capability of most casual hackers.
From my experience SMART@HOME is unstable itself and very often u need to restart device to make it work faster. Just set good password for ur wifi admin / network should be enough.

Also instead of relying on third-party app to check connected devices just check router admin page. I would trust it more.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic