Penalties for foreigners taking drugs

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Penalties for foreigners taking drugs

Post by John Bingham »

Gary Small wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:09 am As a foreigner, you're not obliged to take any drug test., and you should not cooperate .
Where did you hear that? As a foreigner you are obliged to follow the same criminal laws as anyone else.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:32 am
Gary Small wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:09 am As a foreigner, you're not obliged to take any drug test., and you should not cooperate .
Where did you hear that? As a foreigner you are obliged to follow the same criminal laws as anyone else.
There seems to be a number of people who believe that just because a law doesn’t specifically mention foreigners then it doesn’t apply to them. Weird interpretation.

I remember when the law on licenses for <125cc motos was changed. On Facebook loads of expats were insisting that the revised law didn’t apply to foreigners and they would still need a license - just because the wording didn’t mention foreigners.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Keith Richards said once. I don’t have a drug problem. I have a Police problem.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Wow! You believe because you are a guest in a foreign country that you have special privileges that the locals don’t have? In case you haven’t heard the only rights you have outside your home country is what rights the foreign country says you have.

Ask all those fools who are rotting in a foreign jail cell.
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

So can you quote me the law that gives them the power to drug test people randomly?
Come back to me when you do.
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

Kenr wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:38 pm
Wow! You believe because you are a guest in a foreign country that you have special privileges that the locals don’t have? In case you haven’t heard the only rights you have outside your home country is what rights the foreign country says you have.

Many were caught red handed with drugs and didn't need to be drug tested. It's a shame you don't really know but make comment. Just like I asked john show me the legislation saying they can drug test people randomly, unless you're in charge of a vehicle
People just comply.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Gary Small wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:24 pm
So can you quote me the law that gives them the power to drug test people randomly?
More appropriate would be your quoting of the relevant statutes that clearly excuse foreign visitors from those laws. Maybe even with a practical demonstration of this- break an obvious serious law, and see what happens. Maybe interview the South American woman while you’re at it. Even diplomats aren’t above the law; only protections which can be exercised and which might impede the police.

Clearly the Karens of the world may need to be added to the entitled rainbow parade!
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:44 pm
Gary Small wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:24 pm
More appropriate would be your quoting of the relevant statutes that clearly excuse foreign visitors from those laws. Maybe even with a practical demonstration of this- break an obvious serious law, and see what happens. Maybe interview the South American woman while you’re at it. Even diplomats aren’t above the law; only protections which can be exercised and which might impede the police.

Clearly the Karens of the world may need to be added to the entitled rainbow parade!
So you don't know the law. Thanks for clearing that up.
Go and investigate it and find out and then come back and explain what legislation they use to drug test people.
Thanks.
Ps I'm sure that a member is searching for that information right now. Watch this space!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Nobody is going to do your homework for you. I've read plenty of Cambodian laws, and for criminal offences there is no distinction between foreigners and Cambodian nationals. Much the same as any other country.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Gary Small wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:27 pm
Kenr wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:38 pm

Many were caught red handed with drugs and didn't need to be drug tested. It's a shame you don't really know but make comment. Just like I asked john show me the legislation saying they can drug test people randomly, unless you're in charge of a vehicle
People just comply.
What in the hell are you talking about? LOL. Now you are completely changing the narrative. It’s a shame your original comment had nothing to contribute to this thread.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic