another reason to avoid Bangkok airlines

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: another reason to avoid Bangkok airlines

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:40 am Yes, if I was a young Asian woman I’d be taking the airlines to court for sex and race discrimination for charging me for 1kg of excess baggage when the barang (male and female) are all at least 50 kg heavier than me.
Are there any Asian countries that have sex and race discrimination laws?

Airlines are coming perilously close to becoming deeply unpopular, with their relentless pursuit of smaller seats, reduced legroom, tiny toilets and seats bereft of cushioning to save weight. Plus all their bullshit luggage charges.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Tiny toilets in airplanes ?? I always thaught it was me getting fatter every year or just older and less flexible body-parts, that every year i can use those toilets less and less confortable !! ??
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:21 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:40 am Yes, if I was a young Asian woman I’d be taking the airlines to court for sex and race discrimination for charging me for 1kg of excess baggage when the barang (male and female) are all at least 50 kg heavier than me.

Airlines are coming perilously close to becoming deeply unpopular, with their relentless pursuit of smaller seats, reduced legroom, tiny toilets and seats bereft of cushioning to save weight. Plus all their bullshit luggage charges.
when I booked a flight today they offered me to send a confirmation SMS with my booking number (as an additional service) for 5.99 Euro. What a deal.

work is for people who cant find truffles
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

truffledog wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:29 pm

when I booked a flight today they offered me to send a confirmation SMS with my booking number (as an additional service) for 5.99 Euro. What a deal.

Airline or agency website?
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I agree to the suggestion of total weight tickets. But I had this idea decades ago already. In Europe, the average person is calculated with 75kg (elevators, ropeways, cars, and so on). Why not making a ticket 100kg including hand and cabin luggage? Each kg more 1% of the ticket price. As a side effect, it solves the problem with the overweight moving boxes in the overhead compartments, since most people will not be afraid any more to have overweight checked luggage (of course the 30kg limit should stay, or the poor ground staff will need a fork lift for your suitcase)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

A very misleading post, actually a blatant lie, referring to Korean Airlines. One can opt out of stepping on the scale, it’s not mandatory, and it only lasted for one week.

People getting worked up over nothing.
Last edited by Kenr on Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ressl wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:04 pm In Europe, the average person is calculated with 75kg (elevators, ropeways, cars, and so on). Why not making a ticket 100kg including hand and cabin luggage? Each kg more 1% of the ticket price.
Not for air operations.
We use average weights based on types of operation. (And aircraft category)
Over 30 seats, average masses, Holiday charter flights or scheduled operations, for example.

All adult
Scheduled flights are 84kg
Charter (holiday) it’s 76kg
Kids are always 35kg

If we know the flight is predominantly male passengers, then we can break the passenger masses down by Male/Female/children.
It may come as a surprise, but average masses have not changed in quite some time, but are often reviewed. The industry, though, has developed around this system. Making a small change would have a great many consequences.
Such as aircraft mass calculations which would determine if we can legally take off or land.

But what’s really being discussed is passenger size as volume. Two very different people weighing about the same, but having very different body compositions will take up differing amounts of space.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Bangkok arr
Boredom is like a shroud
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:16 pm Tiny toilets in airplanes ?? I always thaught it was me getting fatter every year or just older and less flexible body-parts, that every year i can use those toilets less and less confortable !! ??
Bad news for you old son...

https://www.collinsaerospace.com/news/n ... pplier-737
https://www.smh.com.au/traveller/travel ... tgair.html

These are the new gen of 737 lavs. I have been in one recently, they are so small to be ridiculous. With your back on the sidewall, and your elbows by your side, your fingers can touch to mirror. Walking in sideways is required for some people, the doors have to open outwards.

They are made by the nice people from Raytheon Technologies who build missiles to shoot aircraft down.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

I note that their lounge at PP airport has closed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic