Vegan food

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Vegan food

Post by Gazzy »

Went to a well-known vegan restaurant today to try a vegan burger for the first time. Have to say I was underwhelmed. Completely bland with a texture reminding me of dog food (sorry to be mean). I have nothing to compare it to, so I ask, is all vegan food like this?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vegan food

Post by John Bingham »

Gazzy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:55 pm I have nothing to compare it to, so I ask, is all vegan food like this?
Yes, all vegan food is like a hamberder.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

There's lots of food that are vegan-friendly and nice - leek and potato soup (with non-dairy milk), fruit salads, Tuscan bean stew. Chips!! But these are happy coincidences, they are not the creations of vegan chefs. I can't think of a single recipe created by veganism that has become mainstream. There probably a simple reason for that.

It's when you try to mimic food that is so far removed from veganism, like a burger without beef, cheese, or decent buns (made with eggs and butter), that things go off the rails. It's like trying to make fish and chips without fish and potatoes - it can't be done and it's futile to try. But that doesn't stop them from trying though, here's vegan fish and chips using celeriac, ffs: https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-fish-and-chips/

If you are trying to go meat-free for a while there are a plethora of recipes that produce excellent food. You are better off making them yourself as most restaurants don't give a shit about their vegetarian options (or customers) and the end product reflects that. But going full vegan is so restrictive and unless you really have issues with animal products I don't think it is worth the journey of discovery. Vegan burgers are a good example.

Masala Dosa on Street 3 is a vegan Indian restaurant that has a good reputation and might be worth a try.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mas ... ?entry=ttu
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Gazzy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:55 pm Went to a well-known vegan restaurant today to try a vegan burger for the first time. Have to say I was underwhelmed. Completely bland with a texture reminding me of dog food (sorry to be mean). I have nothing to compare it to, so I ask, is all vegan food like this?
A lot of the vegetarians and self professed vegans that I have met in Cambodia over the years, perhaps even the majority of them, tend to be sweaty obese fucks

I posit that it might be down to them being nutritionally ignorant and/or misinformed about what constitutes a balanced diet & loading up on thousands and thousands of calories of starchy carbs and fuckall protein combined with enough fruit to render them diabetic

Then there's the opposite extreme, mainly vegans, who look like stick insects with a stuck shed and a weird shine in their recessed eyeballs from the malnutrition

I also know one totally normal vegan fellow who I knew for three years before I incidentally discovered that he is a vegan - which is notably aberrant behavior for the type

Vegetarianism is fine. Veganism is by and large retarded

Anyhow @Gazzy I had a vegan salad last week. It went well with my steak
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Vegans tend not to get a balanced nutritional diet. And beens don't make up the lack of protein. Supplements will not do it either. I went on carnivore for over a year, red meat does me good. If when I tell someone this, and they talk about vegan vs. eating meat - I tell them that potatoes have eyes too.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I really don’t know about vegan foods, but knowing a few vegans, diet and personality sometimes go hand in hand.

When in the med and many Middle Eastern places, eating a largely vegetable based diet is a very definite enjoyable, healthy experience. Being vegan compatible is possibly unintentionally achieved (or achievable) in some cases, especially considering that the veganism thing extends into much more than just diet. Yet people chase a Nirvana of interesting uninteresting food. The fabled stone soup comes to mind. Trying all too often to mimic familiar foods, instead of enjoying what’s possible on its own merits. Left to its own devices, it could be self regulating. Especially if it doesn’t breed (or hasn’t the energy)

Not strictly vegan related, but if you have to make a non-meat based burger to replicate a beef burger, who is anyone trying to kid?
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:20 pm I really don’t know about vegan foods, but knowing a few vegans, diet and personality sometimes go hand in hand.
Yeah why is it that many vegans I met are a bunch of strange people? I dont care about their eating habits but I dont appreciate those same over and over discussions about it while having a perfectly rare Fiorentina steak in front of me.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

They them vegan eggs?
sumfin smart
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I was hooked on ALT sandwiches at one time. Pan fried aubergine, lettuce and tomato on decent bread and slightly grilled. Pretty sure it had mayo on it, but could be replaced with something for the super fussy twats.
sumfin smart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic