Vegan food

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Re: Vegan food

Post by Stravaiger »

Anthony Bourdain in A Cook's Tour:
Reasons Why You Don’t Want to Be on Television: Number Five in a Series

‘C’mon, Tony! You’ve been to Cambodia, for Chrissakes! How bad can it be?’ said the television producer. ‘We can’t do a whole show on one restaurant! This will be funny! They’re looking forward to cooking for you!’ What he’d arranged, what he had in mind, was for me to venture into the real heart of darkness, deep, deep into enemy territory, to Berkeley, and a vegan potluck dinner. [...]

I’m going to try – really try – to be nice here.
     The vegans I visited did not live in a converted ashram on a hilltop, tending to their crops in bare feet or Birkenstocks. No one was named Rainbow or Sunflower. Only one person wore a sari. My hosts lived in a kempt modern luxury home in an exclusive area of the suburbs, surrounded by green lawns and shiny new BMWs and SUVs. They were, all of them, affluent-looking professionals and executives. Ranging in age from late thirties to early fifties, they were well dressed, unfailingly nice, eager to show me the other side of the argument.
     And not one of them could cook a fucking vegetable.
     Fergus Henderson, the grand master of blood and guts cookery, shows more respect for the simple side of sautéed baby spinach on some of his plates than any of these deluded vegans showed me in ten elaborate courses.
Indeed, Veganism and any seriously restrictive diet is vanishingly rarely about food. It's mostly about self denial, virtue signalling, tribalism and prohibition.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

truffledog wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:01 pm
Freightdog wrote: I really don’t know about vegan foods, but knowing a few vegans, diet and personality sometimes go hand in hand.
Yeah why is it that many vegans I met are a bunch of strange people? I dont care about their eating habits but I dont appreciate those same over and over discussions about it while having a perfectly rare Fiorentina steak in front of me.
Bill Clinton
Beyoncé
Venus Williams
Woody Harrelson
Michelle Pfeiffer
Miley Cyrus
James Cameron
Moby
Stevie Wonder
Lewis Hamilton

Bloody weirdos
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I want to hear more about this vegan dog food the OP eats.
Scarier than malaria.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

violet wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:37 pm
truffledog wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:01 pm
Freightdog wrote: I really don’t know about vegan foods, but knowing a few vegans, diet and personality sometimes go hand in hand.
Yeah why is it that many vegans I met are a bunch of strange people? I dont care about their eating habits but I dont appreciate those same over and over discussions about it while having a perfectly rare Fiorentina steak in front of me.
Bill Clinton
Beyoncé
Venus Williams
Woody Harrelson
Michelle Pfeiffer
Miley Cyrus
James Cameron
Moby
Stevie Wonder
Lewis Hamilton

Bloody weirdos
Did I say ALL vegans beeing bloody weirdos...NO :please:
work is for people who cant find truffles
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

I turned to a vegetarian diet, then strictly vegan, 38 years ago, at age 35. Since the majority of posters here are clueless, allow me to enlighten you. I'm a bodybuilder - my nephew recently said I looked like a 50-year old MMA fighter. I have a home gym, lift, run, jump rope, and work out every day, one to three hours. I box with a heavy bag a couple of times a week, as well. Perfect health, and I mean perfect. When I'm out and about, someone invariably tells me how fit I am. Last week, my new landlady said I had ''a big 6-pack''. I live in BKK1, so you might see me walking around. You WILL notice me, guaranteed - I always wear a compression shirt. Here is my daily menu. It rarely changes:

Meal 1. Handful each of walnuts and goji berries, two cups black cold coffee.
Meal 2. 2 scoops protein powder, one cup oats, 300ml. soymilk, 5 mg. creatine, cinnamon, cocoa.
Meal 3. 2 or 3 bananas, two cups cold black coffee.
Meal 4. 1 head of broccoli, kimchi, 1 cup tomato juice with 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, black pepper. Omega 3, vitamin D3,
vitamin B complex, resveratrol 200mg.
Meal 5. 2 scoops protein powder, one cup oats, 300 ml soymilk. cinnamon.
Meal 6. One apple, 3/4 cup chick peas.

I also consume 1 litre of strong cold green tea each day, plus a litre of cold tap water.

Should you see me about and want to discuss my diet/lifestyle, just holler. I look like a hard case, but I don't bite.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I look "slightly" different, eat slightly different and drink slightly different.
And i suppose i am slightly happier then you are !! ??
Bit thats ofcourse my opinion !!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

rgrowden wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:26 am I turned to a vegetarian diet, then strictly vegan, 38 years ago, at age 35. Since the majority of posters here are clueless, allow me to enlighten you. I'm a bodybuilder - my nephew recently said I looked like a 50-year old MMA fighter. I have a home gym, lift, run, jump rope, and work out every day, one to three hours. I box with a heavy bag a couple of times a week, as well. Perfect health, and I mean perfect. When I'm out and about, someone invariably tells me how fit I am. Last week, my new landlady said I had ''a big 6-pack''. I live in BKK1, so you might see me walking around. You WILL notice me, guaranteed - I always wear a compression shirt. Here is my daily menu. It rarely changes:

Meal 2. 2 scoops protein powder, one cup oats, 300ml. soymilk, 5 mg. creatine, cinnamon, cocoa.
Meal 4. 1 head of broccoli, kimchi, 1 cup tomato juice with 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, black pepper. Omega 3, vitamin D3,

I also consume 1 litre of strong cold green tea each day, plus a litre of cold tap water.

Should you see me about and want to discuss my diet/lifestyle, just holler. I look like a hard case, but I don't bite.
Your physical health may be perfect, but you need a little help to cure the narcissism affliction.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

rgrowden wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:26 am I turned to a vegetarian diet, then strictly vegan, 38 years ago, at age 35. Since the majority of posters here are clueless, allow me to enlighten you. I'm a bodybuilder - my nephew recently said I looked like a 50-year old MMA fighter. I have a home gym, lift, run, jump rope, and work out every day, one to three hours. I box with a heavy bag a couple of times a week, as well. Perfect health, and I mean perfect. When I'm out and about, someone invariably tells me how fit I am. Last week,
my new landlady said I had ''a big 6-pack''.
I live in BKK1, so you might see me walking around. You WILL notice me, guaranteed - I always wear a compression shirt. Here is my daily menu. It rarely changes:

Did you drop your pants and show her.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

rgrowden wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:26 am I turned to a vegetarian diet, then strictly vegan, 38 years ago, at age 35. Since the majority of posters here are clueless, allow me to enlighten you. I'm a bodybuilder - my nephew recently said I looked like a 50-year old MMA fighter. I have a home gym, lift, run, jump rope, and work out every day, one to three hours. I box with a heavy bag a couple of times a week, as well. Perfect health, and I mean perfect. When I'm out and about, someone invariably tells me how fit I am. Last week, my new landlady said I had ''a big 6-pack''. I live in BKK1, so you might see me walking around. You WILL notice me, guaranteed - I always wear a compression shirt. Here is my daily menu. It rarely changes:

I'm prepared to believe everything you wrote at face value, but let me ask you one simple question:

Where's the fun in that?

That diet sounds like torture to me, especially if you eat pretty much the same day after day. I think eating (and drinking) should be enjoyable.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Could we meet in Burger King?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic