ABA Bank and tipping w a card

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

ABA Bank and tipping w a card

Post by BklynBoy »

I am sure we all have some friends in the service industry-- Restaurants, Bars etc.

when paying w/ card-- - at least ABA Bank does not leave room for tipping. A few of my friends (locals) share how frustrating that is.
Anyone know reason why?

Kinda felt bad for them. I mean I literally saw upscale/fancy type crowd acting all entitled-- which is ok i guess but my friend said they didn't even tip. Like wtf. They paid w/ a card. Saw them walk out into their nice SUV blah blah.

anyway, was curious about that.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: ABA Bank and tipping w a card

Post by stevenjb »

BklynBoy wrote:I am sure we all have some friends in the service industry-- Restaurants, Bars etc.

when paying w/ card-- - at least ABA Bank does not leave room for tipping. A few of my friends (locals) share how frustrating that is.
Anyone know reason why?

Kinda felt bad for them. I mean I literally saw upscale/fancy type crowd acting all entitled-- which is ok i guess but my friend said they didn't even tip. Like wtf. They paid w/ a card. Saw them walk out into their nice SUV blah blah.

You could tip in cash. Might be a good way to get the gratuity directly to the server.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

stevenjb wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:36 am
BklynBoy wrote:I am sure we all have some friends in the service industry-- Restaurants, Bars etc.

Anyone know reason why?

You could tip in cash. Might be a good way to get the gratuity directly to the server.
of course can tip in cash but many people don't. I agree w/ you.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I wouldn't tip "electronically" even if that was an option, because I wouldn't trust the owner to actually pass on the tip to the wait staff. Cash in hand it is and will be.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

BklynBoy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:24 am I am sure we all have some friends in the service industry-- Restaurants, Bars etc.

Anyone know reason why?

I tip cash if I tip

Wouldn't really ever think of tipping electronically. This isn't the USA
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:52 am
BklynBoy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:24 am I am sure we all have some friends in the service industry-- Restaurants, Bars etc.

Anyone know reason why?

I tip cash if I tip

Wouldn't really ever think of tipping electronically. This isn't the USA
I tip electronically in NHAM24, the drivers get the tip in their ABA accounts right away I believe?
But on a credit card bill I wouldn't, having friends in the industry it seems quite common that the owner keeps that money.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Also, it is how the establishment has setup the bill printout. In the US restaurants/bars will have a line on the bill to include a tip. The bank has nothing to do with this.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

BklynBoy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:24 am when paying w/ card-- - at least ABA Bank does not leave room for tipping. A few of my friends (locals) share how frustrating that is.
Anyone know reason why?
I believe I remember seeing an "Add tip" option on my ABA payment screen. I assume it only appears when paying to business accounts that have enabled this feature. However, I agree with those who suggest that if you want to ensure your money reaches the staff, it's best to give a cash tip. That's what most Khmers do.
I think what ur friends were saying.. before many tips comes from change money. Customer lazy to wait for cash and leave or feel pressure to take small change money back. Now with ABA there's no change, so it means less money to staff.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Tend to pay with ABA nowadays & do any tip in cash.

There are a couple of restaurants where I know the owner on close terms & simply add the tip to the bill, I know the staff will get it, but otherwise cash is still king on the tip front. Just the tip.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

If you pay by scanning the QR code they have introduced a tip function in the app. When you pay there is a "Add tip" button.

Then as always up to the owner where the money end up i guess. Many restaurants have both tips for the restaurant and for the staff (leave money inside the book for restaurant/owner while giving it outside the book for staff). What they would consider a QR tip i have no idea.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic