13,636 users online at 12.24 today?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 13,636 users online at 12.24 today?

Post by Yerg »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:19 pm This means there’s lots of lurkers. Most are too scared to post their thoughts and ideas for fear of being ridiculed and crushed.

The challenge is how to convert all those lurkers into active participants?
Hey NKOTB, give the voyeurs a new update on sperm count, we may break 15k.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:19 pm This means there’s lots of lurkers. Most are too scared to post their thoughts and ideas for fear of being ridiculed and crushed.

The challenge is how to convert all those lurkers into active participants?
I don't know about that. I doubt there are that many people in the world interested. There are some poor lambs who might be put off, but most adults can handle a bit of banter. Besides that, if there were thousands of members posting here regularly it would become an unmanageable melange from hell. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Only 910 guests at 11.47 today...what happened?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Nope, the figure on the front page is 14241 right now.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Haha, we're paying for money for a bot farm in the Philippines to read every post, so please continue to give them interesting things to read so that they don't get bored and walk out. Actually, I have a feeling it might be caused from when we were offline a few hours earlier, and I started clicking anything and everything, toggling things off and on, in an attempt to see if it would magically turn back on. One thing I did was request that the entire site cache be reindexed, and I have a feeling some crawlers (bots) are working overtime right now, recrawling every page. I did that before UT made me take a chill pill and started taking logical steps to figure it out, but by that time I had already requested everything be recrawled.

It might be several days until it goes back to normal, so expect it to go wildly up and down for a while. %)
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Out of interest, has there been any notable increase in site/member registrations?
Another forum I’m involved with had a sizeable online viewers stat a long time back. Around the same time, there was a large number of recent registrations, but very few of those new members posted anything. Following that, nestled in among batches of registrations within a similar timeframe, were several dormant ghost posters- the sort that make throw away comments on a variety of irrelevant topics “my mate on quota had that” type shite. But generally inoffensive tripe spread over a few weeks.
Magically, they achieve the minimum post count to be able to send PMs, access specific user areas, and then the spamming starts.

Anything from Chinese automotive test equipment which would be totally useless when applied to 1980s sports cars, to a battery of dubious oil products sales vouchers, all the way to dildo’s of varying description.
Some of this traffic being so prolific that it crashed the server on which the forum sat, and filled up message boxes. But it was hard to distinguish many of the occasional posters that actually used the forum honestly (but just weren’t internet types) from the spammers, because things like trusted email domains were similar.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Nothing out of the ordinary lately.

We get those too, but most never see the light of day. If you're ever looking for construction supply companies/venders in China, all of us on the CEO moderators team could give you 100 recommendations each.

I don't recall seeing any spammers selling dildos, lol, but if I do I might just have to let it slip through.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:34 pm Out of interest, has there been any notable increase in site/member registrations?
No. That only happens when Cam Nivag gets bored. :popcorn:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:07 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:34 pm Out of interest, has there been any notable increase in site/member registrations?
No. That only happens when Cam Nivag gets bored. :popcorn:
I thought he was constantly bored?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:12 pm Haha, we're paying for money for a bot farm in the Philippines to read every post, so please continue to give them interesting things to read so that they don't get bored and walk out. Actually, I have a feeling it might be caused from when we were offline a few hours earlier, and I started clicking anything and everything, toggling things off and on, in an attempt to see if it would magically turn back on. One thing I did was request that the entire site cache be reindexed, and I have a feeling some crawlers (bots) are working overtime right now, recrawling every page. I did that before UT made me take a chill pill and started taking logical steps to figure it out, but by that time I had already requested everything be recrawled.

It might be several days until it goes back to normal, so expect it to go wildly up and down for a while. %)
That's perfectly clear now...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic