American man faces dilemma as Thai girlfriend’s parents demand 1 million baht dowry

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: American man faces dilemma as Thai girlfriend’s parents demand 1 million baht dowry

Post by grumpygit »

In this particular case it may be quite a good deal. Some questions would need to be satisfied.
Is the potential wife without children or any past marriages? Will the new husband be given a role in the family business to some extent with a view to using his connections back home to help grow the business?
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American man faces dilemma as Thai girlfriend’s parents demand 1 million baht dowry

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:15 pm.

Western view. Families mean nothing. Social status means nothing. The prince and the pauper are equal. Doing whatever they want at the moment, screw everyone else.
I understand you are an immigrant or a child of immigrants but I'm surprised you could come up with this after living in the west for so long. Perhaps that's your experience, but it bears no relation to mine. Families are extremely important to most westerners, it's just that we are more pragmatic and don't treat them like fairy tales. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Pricetag on people, in the name of love ?
Tssss ^^
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I've known a few guys who were asked to pay a dowry, it pretty much goes into buying a home or a financial nest-egg for the couple anyway - or more common these days is the expectation that the husband will provide a home instead of a dowry payment - so it's effectively the same thing. They did it because that's what they would have been doing anyway.

One friend got pissed off at a family 'meet the happy couple' type thing though, the room was full of distant relatives from the country - ignorant fucking racist peasants in his words ( I met some of them, fully agree) - everyone was drunk and talking about dowry and two rellies start going on about how they're not happy about her marrying a white guy, they should be shaking him down for more cash, to be given to these freeloaders because everyone knows foreigners are there to steal local girls, use and abuse them, take jobs from locals etc. It would be 'protection' for the family.

My mate lost his temper a bit and said while they were on the topic of wedding negotiations, he wanted a pre-nup agreement because 'everyone knows the reputation Asian women have of selling their daughters for a foreign passport, moving the family to the US, then divorcing him and taking the house, money and car. It would be 'protection' for him. :stir:

That didn't go down well at all. :lol:
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I have a many western friends who lost much more than that when their western wives left. Wife is most expensive prostitute once wise old man said....
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Don't buy, just rent
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Take the million bath in your pocket and jump on an airplain to PNH. Go to 130 street and get laid every day with an other khmer girl until your money is finished. If you still love your Thai GF look for an other million and marry her !!
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:46 pm 1M THB = $28000. :chin:

Is that a full and final settlement in any future divorce proceedings (like a pre-nup)?

Does that include the cost of the wedding - if the family wants to stand-on-ceremony, the father of the bride is traditionally on the hook for that bill.

If yes to the above, it sounds like a reasonable deal.
In baht, it sounds like a lot, but as Doc points out, it's only $28k.

Also, seems like many are assuming 'shipping business' to imply the father is wealthy. Perhaps his shipping business isn't as profitable as Onassis, so maybe this is being over-thought. It's also stated that half will go back to the daughter, which may imply they get 50% back as a couple, so the round number of 1m baht is just for show for the ceremony. If the other half is being 'held' by the parents for the happy couple, that's OK, consider it forced savings :).

If the guy is genuinely looking for advice = on the dowry thing as a concept, when in Rome.....

Storm in a tea cup.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

It's patriarchy the world over. . .

Same thing East or West, merely different manifestations. Culture/society the world over is still extraordinarily primitive and unfair -- the gender-differentiated injustice of which -- (no surprise) is rooted in tribal/animal familialism.

I will not pay a penny. But I will give it away as an inheritance... (which is just another form of patriarchy, of course)

Give me an orphan rich bitch, end of problem: no more usurious social demands to deal with...

Thankfully my family is a distant memory of insanity I can do without. Except for my long gone mom...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I never did pay a dowry or get married to my SO

I did buy a cow at one stage though but got repaid

My SO's lil sis DID get a dowry of three cows and six grand iirc. Husband turned out to be a tipper truck driving KTV dwelling arsehole so she divorced him and is now a single mom

Guys who will pay for you aren't guaranteed to be higher value
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic