Just for fun: which was ur 1st mobile?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!

Just for fun/ Which was ur 1st mobile?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:27 pm

22%
61%
No votes
4%
4%
4%
No votes
4%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 23
one_dolla
Expatriate

Re: Just for fun: which was ur 1st mobile?

Post by one_dolla »

beaker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:06 pm Image
a the transportable a second generation Motorola transceiver, called a Joan II, in a housing with a lead acid battery...those were tough...a truck driver had a crash ...he and his phone exited thought the windscreen and landed on the road... another motorist used to to call an ambulance...by the way no1. the 8000 series Motorola were called Samantha...the later 8500 series Richards... how do I know this stuff worked for a Motorola service station from the mid 80's repairing these things... the first 8000s sold for £2000, the car phones, 4500 series £1500 +£90 installation monthly contract charge was $25 and minute rate 25 pence....long before phones became consumer items then I ran a repair and customer care centre for one of the UK's first high street retailers...

before the transportable the joan 1 car phones ( these were Motorola in house names for the products) also known as a C0-AM , no recollection why, was a 12 inch square by 2" deep transceiver...we used to install them in attache cases along with a lead acid battery and rent them out. You had an instant phone for new construction sites...when in those days if you needed a land line telephone installed BT took 6 weeks to do it... and that transceiver was less than half the size of the previous old mobile system 4 car phone... the sort of thing you would see in a 70's film...
how the hell do I remember all that but can't remember what I had for dinner last night?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

one_dolla wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:18 am
Username Taken wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:32 pm This was my first. In 1992, Hitachi CR-D300. Very sleek in comparison with what had been available in previous years.

looks very like a rebadged Nokia
Correct.

The Hitachi CR-D300 was a clone of the Nokia 1011. Both phones were made in Finland.
https://www.mobilephonehistory.co.uk/no ... a_1011.php

Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:27 pm Image
I think it was a 1610 around 1997. It cost around £300 and I had to pay about £30 a month for the line and calls extra paid from my bank account directly. I had a pager before that which cost similar.
Company provided one of those for me around the same time, was a pain to carry round if you didn't have a bag
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Back in 1991ish, we (small engineering team) were sent off on a great little project. The company had equipped with several swanky new Motorola things. Hugely expensive, so these were limited to the teams operating away. One phone per team. They insisted that anyone who might have need to use the phone sign an acceptance form, assuring that we’d take care of it. Misuse, etc.

The project manager (self promoted responsible adult) took charge of it like it was his own.
Driving away from the office one evening, he had managed to leave the phone on the roof of the car. When we heard the rumbling sound on the roof, queries of “what’s that…?” Were instantly followed by the responsible adult uttering “oh, fuck”, as the phone rolled off the back of the car onto the road, where it largely survived the impact.

Until it got run over by a truck.
The insurance claim form involved much hand wringing
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

1996 I guess I inherited a piece of shit Motorola with a 1ft antenna and a flip at the bottom. About the size of a peat briquette and about as good at making calls

Then in 1997 prepaid mobiles launched in my home country & I got one with a crappy panasonic

Traded onto Nokia's by the end of that year until they went to dogshit by 2001
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Mine was bought here from the Cellcard shop on Sihanouk in about 2000. Alcatel, $86 including a sim and some credit. It had an aeriel and slots for 2 AAA batteries, presumably for when the internal battery needed charging. Solid and heavy. When I did replace it my wife gave it to her mother to use for breaking ice in her coffee stall.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Motorola 8800x, first of them in 1990. This was the new lightweight and slimline version of the 8500x Brick phone. Fairly useless as so few other people I knew had a phone. Mum was pleased I could be tracked down (until she found out the cost) and so too was the girlfriend. The novelty of being easily tracked down wore off very quickly.

GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

My parents had #1 I used on occasion.

Had 4,6,7,8,9,10
camborambo
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by camborambo »

Siemens S1. 1994
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

TelMe pager -> Quix pager -> Nokia 5130 (like the 5110, but working in the E frequencies) -> Nokia 6150 -> Nokia 6250 -> ...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic