Cambodia's 'scamdemic' reputation scares off travelers from China

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Cambodia's 'scamdemic' reputation scares off travelers from China

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:38 am How is banning the movie here supposed to help? The damage is already done.
Spin? If movies like this, and other information is restricted (from locals in Cambodia), then the relevant competent authorities can blame the lack of customers on anything they want.
There’s next to fuck all that Cambodia can do about this abroad. But they can control information at home.

Given that many local people that I am acquainted with have a deep seated dislike of china, there’s possibly some intent to rectify, or control, the relationship as they wish.

As reported by The Cambodia China Times, various Cambodian government departments, including the Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts, and Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications, are actively collaborating to address the film’s adverse portrayal of Cambodia.
Maybe, internally, a few of these government entities could clean up their own practices so as not to be negatively compared with the thing they’re collaborating to address?
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Sorry a little off topic...

@phuketrichard when you say "land tax", do you mean the tax charge on the Sale of Property or an annual tax based on your property (property tax)? I was told that there were no annual property tax in KoW.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Newinkow wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:33 am Sorry a little off topic...

@phuketrichard when you say "land tax", do you mean the tax charge on the Sale of Property or an annual tax based on your property (property tax)? I was told that there were no annual property tax in KoW.
yes property tax:
gf's sister has recently had a huge bill<( she owns 5 pieces of land) in Kep /Kratie and Savy Rieng

https://cbre.com.kh/guide-to-property-t ... -benefits/

PLUS this one will hit the speculators
Unused Land Tax:
Investors should also be aware of the unused land tax. This tax is applied to land that is vacant without having any buildings or abandoned buildings. Unused land areas are determined by the committee evaluating unused land. In the case that the land has been classified as unused land, taxpayers will not be subjected to pay TOIP. Therefore, owners of unused land are required to make an annual payment of a 2% tax rate per square metre of the unused land value price.

also read:

https://ips-cambodia.com/cambodia-property-tax/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:45 am
Newinkow wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:33 am Sorry a little off topic...

yes property tax:
gf's sister has recently had a huge bill<( she owns 5 pieces of land) in Kep /Kratie and Savy Rieng

https://cbre.com.kh/guide-to-property-t ... -benefits/

PLUS this one will hit the speculators
Unused Land Tax:
Investors should also be aware of the unused land tax. This tax is applied to land that is vacant without having any buildings or abandoned buildings. Unused land areas are determined by the committee evaluating unused land. In the case that the land has been classified as unused land, taxpayers will not be subjected to pay TOIP. Therefore, owners of unused land are required to make an annual payment of a 2% tax rate per square metre of the unused land value price.

also read:

https://ips-cambodia.com/cambodia-property-tax/
So I guess all the lucky land owners that have gained vast expanses of free land will have to pay this as well, like UDG etc?

Silly me ....this is only for other people not connected to ?????????
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:08 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:38 am How is banning the movie here supposed to help? The damage is already done.
Spin? If movies like this, and other information is restricted (from locals in Cambodia), then the relevant competent authorities can blame the lack of customers on anything they want.
There’s next to fuck all that Cambodia can do about this abroad. But they can control information at home.

Given that many local people that I am acquainted with have a deep seated dislike of china, there’s possibly some intent to rectify, or control, the relationship as they wish.

As reported by The Cambodia China Times, various Cambodian government departments, including the Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts, and Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications, are actively collaborating to address the film’s adverse portrayal of Cambodia.
Maybe, internally, a few of these government entities could clean up their own practices so as not to be negatively compared with the thing they’re collaborating to address?
This whole situation simply highlights a few key things:
  • Not long ago, Cambodia opened itself up to uncontrolled exploitation by anyone with enough cash, ie.: mostly from China, but also from Indo, the Phillipines, Malaysia, Korea, India, Bangladesh, Japan....
  • There is presently an extreme disconnect between the ruling class, and their self-serving interests, from the everyday life of poor folk who have no choice but to endure the gross iniquities of Cambodian economy.
  • The leadership is fettered by a huge corrupt hierarchy that they have created beneath themselves to strengthen their own scam-govt... The new pres. won't be able to dismantle it easily even if he wanted to...
  • The potential harm to Cambodia from this kind of blowback and economic damage cannot be blamed on disinformation from hostile foreign media outlets this time. Everyone knows the crooks were invited to come to Cambodia...
It's more than a trifle ironic that a scam-thief-government system -- which treats public finances as if they are the personal property of a single family -- is now facing international condemnation and flack for the consequences of inviting in a whole class of blackguards and gangsters to do business here... Hahaha 🤣...

If this was a test for globalization savvy, it puts Cambodia near bottom of the list... not far below the UK...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

The answer to that one is dead obvious, guys. So that people here do not start to also blame the government for the current economic crisis. If you were turning a blind eye to one of the biggest slavery rings in the world would you want your people to know about it? Of course you wouldn't, especially when you expect those people to pay the price for it.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Here's something interesting too. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I found a review that appears to be written by a Burmese person, which may show another reason why this film might be banned here: It appears the portrayal of the industry is not entirely accurate. The review reads as follows:

"Wrong information

Wrong info and wrong facts about Burma(Myanmar).

This is kind of Chinese propaganda movie.

Director did not check true facts OR he just directed wrongly even though wrong information.

These evil organisations in this movie really exist not only in Myanmar but also in other countries (especially in Southeast Asia). Clearly, the director doesn't check about these cases and crimes. He puts a frame on Myanmar as a bad country. In reality, all the people who ruled these organisations are CHINESE. Even Myanmar people are victims of these organisations. This movie spreads misleading informations just to make money.

Plus, the actress in this movie also made fun of Myanmar people dying (because of complex political situations in Myanmar) on douyin once.

Those gangs and their businesses are wholly managed by Chinese people, not myanmar people. Even myanmar citizens are victims there.

I'm sure production team has more than enough time to check but they chose to make look good for Chinese people as heroes and look bad on myanmar people as terrible and scary.

karma will come to all of you."

https://mydramalist.com/703633-no-more-bets
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

siliconlife wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:26 pm Here's something interesting too. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I found a review that appears to be written by a Burmese person, which may show another reason why this film might be banned here: It appears the portrayal of the industry is not entirely accurate. The review reads as follows:

"Wrong information

Director did not check true facts OR he just directed wrongly even though wrong information.

These evil organisations in this movie really exist not only in Myanmar but also in other countries (especially in Southeast Asia). Clearly, the director doesn't check about these cases and crimes. He puts a frame on Myanmar as a bad country. In reality, all the people who ruled these organisations are CHINESE. Even Myanmar people are victims of these organisations. This movie spreads misleading informations just to make money.

Plus, the actress in this movie also made fun of Myanmar people dying (because of complex political situations in Myanmar) on douyin once.

Those gangs and their businesses are wholly managed by Chinese people, not myanmar people. Even myanmar citizens are victims there.

I'm sure production team has more than enough time to check but they chose to make look good for Chinese people as heroes and look bad on myanmar people as terrible and scary.

:facepalm:
r u fucking serious:
ONe review from who??? to too?????? :please: with zero followers and following zero people
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:57 pm
siliconlife wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:26 pm Here's something interesting too. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I found a review that appears to be written by a Burmese person, which may show another reason why this film might be banned here: It appears the portrayal of the industry is not entirely accurate. The review reads as follows:

"Wrong information

:facepalm:
r u fucking serious:
ONe review from who??? to too?????? :please: with zero followers and following zero people
Man, chill out, you hyperactive nutter, no need to be slapping your head and swearing at me. It's a possible lead that I will be taking note of when I watch the film. It's a person's feelings, I could give a flying fuck how many followers they have, I'll make up my own mind. And it does sound like something Beijing would do. Now waddle off and try not to overreact to everything.
DavidMurphy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by DavidMurphy »

https://idope.se/torrent/No%20More%20Be ... a1f337266/

HD cam copy over-dubbed in Russian with English subtitles.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic