UK passport for daughter born in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

UK passport for daughter born in Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

Hi all !

Has anyone tried to applying for a UK passport recently if their child was born in cambodia ?

Might be being a bit thick here but on gov.uk it says you need to be a British Citizen Before applying for a British passport

Do i just go about getting the passport 1st ?

Any replies many thanks
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: UK passport for daughter born in Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kingofthesky wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:04 pm Hi all !

Has anyone tried to applying for a UK passport recently if their child was born in cambodia ?

Might be being a bit thick here but on gov.uk it says you need to be a British Citizen Before applying for a British passport

Any replies many thanks
First collect proof of citizenship (by ascend I assume?) of the kid, then apply for a passport. Check what kind of proof the UK government wants. Usually a birth certificate will do, but some countries require further documents. You MoFA or embassy can tell you.
A passport isn't required to be a (British) citizen.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Any replies many thanks
Quote the link to their page?

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport

Sometimes, their explanations require more than one reading.
Firstly, as long as one of you is a British citizen, then the child can claim British citizenship.

You can register an overseas birth separately from applying for a passport (although we didn’t), and it’s not necessary.
All overseas applications are submitted in writing through VFS global.

And check the recent threads on the subject..

ask-the-expats-questions-answers/online ... 59-10.html

For what it’s worth, if you are local (Phnom Penh) can show you the file that we provided with supporting documentation, if that’s of any use. Sometimes, it’s just quicker in person.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Any replies many thanks
The passport proves citizenship. Not sure about their choice of words, but I think they're saying that for a first uk passport application for people with citizenship from abroad.

I'm about to apply for my child's first British passport. Just need a few final documents and will be ready to book the appointment with the office in PP.

Is your child half Khmer? If so I will dig out all I have in my application and post a list. If she's not mixed Khmer I won't bother, as it's probably a different process
sumfin smart
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

If you are British and your child is born in Cambodia, you need to apply for the child's citizenship by descent.

Once you have that, the child is a British subject and (you) can apply for a passport.

There have been a few threads about this in recent years. Try the search function or a google search, site:cambodiaexpatsonline.com british passport (or words to that effect).
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:52 pm If you are British and your child is born in Cambodia, you need to apply for the child's citizenship by descent.

Once you have that, the child is a British subject and (you) can apply for a passport.
I don’t think this is correct.
You can apply for a passport without the first step. If you don’t want the passport then you can apply for the former. But i don’t think you need it to apply for passport. Just need proof that you are parent.
Process is looong though. Be prepared for a six month start to finish - or longer if parents aren’t married and can’t prove relationship, they may ask for DNA test.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:52 pm If you are British and your child is born in Cambodia, you need to apply for the child's citizenship by descent.

There have been a few threads about this in recent years. Try the search function or a google search, site:cambodiaexpatsonline.com british passport (or words to that effect).
I'm sorry but that is categorically not true. If one of the parents is British, the child gains citizenship by decent. There is no need to get any other documents (than birth certificate of child & of British parent) before applying for a passport. You can apply for some sort of citizenship document with a birth certificate and parents passport but it doesn't aid the passport application, you will still need to provide exactly the same documents plus that one and you fork out more money to the shitty Embassy in PP.

With documents, as well as what is required you should provide as many supporting documents as possible eg photos (of you, partner & baby), antenatal scans, antenatal appointment documents, vaccination card. Just flood them with so much documentation they can't possibly not believe the child is not yours. If you are married/civil partnership provide evidence of this as well.

Some people are requested to undergo a paternity test if there application is not sufficient and its pretty expensive, you want to avoid that. You also don't want a rejection as it will make any later application less likely to be successful.
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:28 pm

Any replies many thanks
The passport proves citizenship. Not sure about their choice of words, but I think they're saying that for a first uk passport application for people with citizenship from abroad.

I'm about to apply for my child's first British passport. Just need a few final documents and will be ready to book the appointment with the office in PP.

Is your child half Khmer? If so I will dig out all I have in my application and post a list. If she's not mixed Khmer I won't bother, as it's probably a different process
Hey m8

Yeah she's half khmer

ALL the below is what we currently have (all translated @ Gotranslation )

- Ultra sound scans
- Both mum and dad birth certificates
- Her Khmer birth certificate
- ID & passport copies
- Shit ton of photos

On the uk.gov site the 1st hurdle is getting a digital passport photo from photo booth with code next to it ffs lol

if there's anything I've missed documentation wise would appreciate very much a heads up

cheers
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

Appreciate all the replies guys

Sure the info will help the next guy/girl too
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Overseas application for a child first passport.

Follow the link
https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport ... d-passport

Read all of the notes and steps, and make your own notes. At each stage, you will most likely find an answer to a question that popped up earlier. Such as about British citizenship.
After answering a few questions, you’ll end up here-

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/ove ... d/cambodia

You’ll be able to
Download the application form, guidance notes, and list of supporting documents

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ation-form

In our application pack and supporting documents for our son, we have
Copies of Passports.
All pages of all current passports, and any passports in use at the time that covers your relationship, whether used or blank. This is used to demonstrate that you were actually in the same place at the same times, for things like conception. As one of my passports was expired and replaced, I submitted that as an original document.

Copies of partner’s ID card.

Child’s photos. A recommendation was made recently for Good Luck Photo, which I’ve since used. They are very good, and very efficient, unlike many of the places that we’d used previously.

Birth certificates for myself, my Khmer partner, my son. Copies of Originals, and translations duly stamped.
My father’s birth certificate, and ID document. In this instance, his UK passport.

Residential documents, such as Lease Agreements covering the relevant period.
Bank statements. Anything that demonstrates a family arrangement- we have a joint bank account, and the address on the account matches the lease.

Medical records.
Pre-/post-natal records, scans, billing.
Child’s vaccination book.

Pictorial history. In this instance, I just deluged them. 90plus photos covering the duration of our relationship up until junior was born, and then showing the family history since, up until time of application/submission of documents. I also wrote an account (some 20pages) to go along with those photos, detailing who, what, when, where and why. As this covered the COVID period when Cambodia restricted access to the country, quite a few photos are screen shots from Messenger, which was how family life continued. I also work in Europe, requiring me to spend significant time away from home, which provided more messenger family screenshots.

A written statement from my partner, specifying our relationship, and her Single status certificate stamped by the Sangkat.

The application is made at VFS Global, in Phnom Penh, and the address is shown in the .gov pages.
VFS themselves only receive the documents. You are able to have a friend or someone present the application if you are unable at the time. This is a tripping point. VFS’ own form has tick boxes for the supporting document, which the staff don’t understand. Guide them, hold their hand, as they’ll try to document your supporting documents in the extra space, which is too small.
When HMPO receive your documents, they’ll be scanned into their system, apparently.
The VFS reference number bears no correlation with HMPO application numbers, and many of the HMPO staff are accessing the system from home.If the supporting documents haven’t been well detailed by VFS, and their internet connection is too shitty, it doesn’t matter how well your documents were scanned, the person reviewing your application may be doing it remotely, and could be unable to physically see them. Lesson learned the hard way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic