Concern Over Unsupervised Student Dying on Cambodian Trip

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Concern Over Unsupervised Student Dying on Cambodian Trip

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Indian teen died on unchaperoned school trip to Cambodia in June: Report
She was with a group of classmates, and there were no teachers or adult representatives accompanying them.
Published: 05th September 2023 08:21 PM
SINGAPORE: Parents have been asking for a review of guidelines on overseas excursions from a top school in Singapore after a 17-year-old Indian student died in June during one such trip to Cambodia.

Kaira Karmakar, a student of United World College of South East Asia (UWCSEA) on Dover Road, died in a road accident on June 1 while she was on an unchaperoned school trip to Cambodia’s capital Phnom Penh, The Straits Times reported.

She was with a group of classmates, and there were no teachers or adult representatives accompanying them. The school declined to say how many students were part of the group, the news report said.

In an email sent to Kaira's parents on June 1, UWCSEA informed that their daughter had died while in Cambodia for the school’s project week.

As per the school guidelines, students have the option of going on an overseas field trip for project week as part of the Grade 11 curriculum, and that it is “designed to support readiness for independent life” after graduation.

The process is supervised by a teacher who does not go on the trip.

UWCSEA head of college Nick Alchin said in an email on June 7 that the school is planning to have an external investigation done into the accident in addition to reviewing the project week guidelines.

Alchin said the final report will be submitted to the audit and risk committee of the school’s board of governors, which is responsible for reviewing school processes.

However, one parent told The Times that it has been nearly three months and there has been no update on the incident since the June 7 e-mail from Alchin.

“The school has not informed the parents of the outcome of the investigation and obviously expects that this has been forgotten throughout the summer holidays. As a parent, I feel voiceless and cornered."

The parent, who didn't wish to be named, also asked why the school would allow students to go on an overseas trip without being accompanied by an adult.
https://www.newindianexpress.com/nation ... 11970.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Concern Over Unsupervised Student Dying on Cambodian Trip

Post by Ghostwriter »

I find absurd that the people in charge to sell intelligence don't seem to have any sample on them.
What's next, teaching kids to make their wooden toys on their own in a sawmill ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Attention please

All dying children must be supervised. No unsupervised dying permitted

Punishable by resusitation
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:18 am Indian teen died on unchaperoned school trip to Cambodia in June: Report
She was with a group of classmates, and there were no teachers or adult representatives accompanying them.
SINGAPORE: Parents have been asking for a review of guidelines on overseas excursions from a top school in Singapore after a 17-year-old Indian student died in June during one such trip to Cambodia.

Kaira Karmakar, a student of United World College of South East Asia (UWCSEA) on Dover Road, died in a road accident on June 1 while she was on an unchaperoned school trip to Cambodia’s capital Phnom Penh, The Straits Times reported.

She was with a group of classmates, and there were no teachers or adult representatives accompanying them. The school declined to say how many students were part of the group, the news report said.

In an email sent to Kaira's parents on June 1, UWCSEA informed that their daughter had died while in Cambodia for the school’s project week.

As per the school guidelines, students have the option of going on an overseas field trip for project week as part of the Grade 11 curriculum, and that it is “designed to support readiness for independent life” after graduation.

UWCSEA head of college Nick Alchin said in an email on June 7 that the school is planning to have an external investigation done into the accident in addition to reviewing the project week guidelines.

Alchin said the final report will be submitted to the audit and risk committee of the school’s board of governors, which is responsible for reviewing school processes.

However, one parent told The Times that it has been nearly three months and there has been no update on the incident since the June 7 e-mail from Alchin.

“The school has not informed the parents of the outcome of the investigation and obviously expects that this has been forgotten throughout the summer holidays. As a parent, I feel voiceless and cornered."

The parent, who didn't wish to be named, also asked why the school would allow students to go on an overseas trip without being accompanied by an adult.
Sending minors on unaccompanied school trips is wrong, informing parents about the passing of their child by e-mail is wrong and utterly senseless.

My review of two school processes. What a mess....
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:12 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:18 am Indian teen died on unchaperoned school trip to Cambodia in June: Report

Sending minors on unaccompanied school trips is wrong, informing parents about the passing of their child by e-mail is wrong and utterly senseless.

I’m not sure the parents of the dead student were informed by email. I hope it was actually meaning the parents of all other students were informed via email. The first article I read didn’t say the email was sent to her parents it simply said parents. I see it is different above.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

violet wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:46 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:12 am

I’m not sure the parents of the dead student were informed by email. I hope it was actually meaning the parents of all other students were informed via email. The first article I read didn’t say the email was sent to her parents it simply said parents. I see it is different above.
Also they are 17 and 18 years old students who presumably needed parental permission/release before coming on this trip. While obv it's a tragedy for the family of the deceased person unfortunately things like traffic accidents happen whether or not one is being chaperoned.

The article is not particularly well written and appears to take a tabloid-esque tone of faux outrage over the lack of chaperones rather than a report of an unfortunate accidental death.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:57 am Also they are 17 and 18 years old students who presumably needed parental permission/release before coming on this trip. While obv it's a tragedy for the family of the deceased person unfortunately things like traffic accidents happen whether or not one is being chaperoned.

The article is not particularly well written and appears to take a tabloid-esque tone of faux outrage over the lack of chaperones rather than a report of an unfortunate accidental death.
Yes, shit happens and if a teacher would have travelled with them maybe the same would have happened, but maybe not. The devil in the detail, and looking after those details would have been the teacher's job, especially with minors in tow.
I would never send my kind on an unaccompanied school trip. Basically it's a contradiction, 'unaccompanied school trip'. School trips have accompanying teachers, by default.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:56 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:57 am Also they are 17 and 18 years old students who presumably needed parental permission/release before coming on this trip. While obv it's a tragedy for the family of the deceased person unfortunately things like traffic accidents happen whether or not one is being chaperoned.

Yes, shit happens and if a teacher would have travelled with them maybe the same would have happened, but maybe not. The devil in the detail, and looking after those details would have been the teacher's job, especially with minors in tow.
I would never send my kind on an unaccompanied school trip. Basically it's a contradiction, 'unaccompanied school trip'. School trips have accompanying teachers, by default.
It sounds sort of like an exchange programme of sorts - my school back in the day had Austrian, French and Spanish kids on the regular unaccompanied and staying in host family houses. The kids from those houses would go and visit their guest's places at a later date. Fairly commonplace sort of thing

And these are young adults - they are at an age where independence and tertiary schooling would begin and the lines between secondary and tertiary are often blurry - there's nothing terribly unusual in a 17 year old traveling unaccompanied
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:13 pm
It sounds sort of like an exchange programme of sorts - my school back in the day had Austrian, French and Spanish kids on the regular unaccompanied and staying in host family houses. The kids from those houses would go and visit their guest's places at a later date. Fairly commonplace sort of thing

And these are young adults - they are at an age where independence and tertiary schooling would begin and the lines between secondary and tertiary are often blurry - there's nothing terribly unusual in a 17 year old traveling unaccompanied
I wouldn't let my 17 year old student go to Cambodia unsupervised. Never in a million years.

My school wouldn't let a 17 year old go to the UK or Poland unsupervised back in the day. When we had exchange programs we always had teachers on location.
Whatever these 17 year olds do in their spare time is their own responsibility, when kids of this age travel under the school's wings it's clear for me, there's a teacher going with them. Shit happens, and you can not expect a 17 year old to deal with real shit on his / her own.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic