Phnom Penh Residents Call for Ice Factory Closure after Explosion

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh Residents Call for Ice Factory Closure after Explosion

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On 5 September 2023 at 10:00am, the ice factory owned by Mrs. Chheang Mu, producing raw and sanitary ice in Chrang Chamres village, Khan Russey Keo, experienced an ammonia gas explosion. The incident caused many residents in the nearby area to collapse, and their families are calling for the factory's closure.
The affected residents and their families, along with local authorities, gathered at the factory to request its closure and relocation. Plans have been made to wait for further investigation by relevant authorities and finding a solution that will benefit the people living near the factory.

It should be noted that a similar incident previously occurred on 01/09/2023 at 7:30 pm, with many men and women fainting due to a gas leak from Upper ice factory.

According to sources at the scene, workers were tending to their duties in the ice factory when an ammonia gas pipe exploded, causing many to fall over and faint. Some individuals who were riding motorcycles closeby at the time of the explosion had to abandon their vehicles to avoid exposure to the fumes, while others in the area suffered from sore eyes, breathing difficulty, and fainting.

Immediate ambulance response was dispatched to the Samdech Mey Hospital, and a firetruck was also deployed to aid emergency response. Mr. Ek Khun Doeun, Governor of Russey Keo District, led the district force, intervening in the incident and sending the victims to the hospital via ambulance, with additional ambulance and fire truck services on standby in case of further emergencies.
ImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Residents Call for Ice Factory Closure after Explosion

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Ice Factory Ordered to Suspend Operations After Causing Sickness
6 September 2023 2:20 PM
Runn Sreydeth
Hel Komsan
Phnom Penh authorities suspended the operations of an ice factory after an ammonia gas leak last Friday caused more than 30 people living nearby to experience severe sickness from the exposure.

The primarily ethnic Cham residents of Russey Keo district’s Kor village in Chrang Chamres 2 commune are demanding the factory, Chheang Mu, change locations after they survived what they said was a traumatic and life-threatening experience. Some, like Leop Ahshimas’ family lived about 100 meters away from the factory

“With the ammonia gas I could not breathe and I could not open my eyes, and I did not expect to be alive,” said Ahshimas, 38. “I told my aunt I was dead before her, and I did not hope my son and I were alive.”

Ahshimas said she could not afford to go to the hospital but that her four-year-old son still had a headache.

“I do not ask for any compensation, I just ask the owner of the ice factory to be more careful,” she said.

Ammonia, a strong smelling, colorless gas commonly used in industrial production can have significant health impacts, according to England’s Public Health department.

“Breathing in low levels of ammonia may cause irritation to the eyes, nose and throat. High levels of ammonia may cause burns and swelling in the airways, lung damage and can be fatal,” the department stated.

One affected villager living near the factory, Sen Nafi, said she experienced “dizziness, headache, and vomiting,” and loss of sight during the exposure, and urged the factory to move to another area in the future.

“If the factory owner wants to continue, they have to be careful and if possible the factory owner should relocate​ but we will give them one or two years to replace the factory,” she said.

Khundoeurn, the district governor, said that the factory owner needed time to find a new location and build a new factory.
https://cambojanews.com/ice-factory-ord ... -sickness/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic