Banks.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Banks.

Post by Tootsfriend »

Over the years I have seen many banks in Australia closing their local branches and in America it appears to be the same. Can someone give their opinion of their country ,,UK etc.

Now explain to me why Cambodia has so many banks and the major ones are so busy building branches everywhere. I spotted Acleda and ABA building new ones this morning from the bus between Takhmau and PP. I thought everyone was saying the world was going cashless .
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Banks.

Post by Kenr »

That’s easy, it’s redundant. When I was living in Pasadena, Tx there were four (4) Wells Fargo branches in a two (2) mile radius, went down to three (3) by the time I left. Exiting Pasadena towards Houston or Galveston there are dozens more.

The number of branches these big banks have is unnecessary and the reason why the smaller banks, like predominantly online and credit unions, can pay much larger interest rates or dividends on deposits for CD’s and savings accounts.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The UK actively started chopping small branches down, slightly in advance of when their presence was redundant. The move to online banking assumed a population totally in sync with technology.
The next joyful act was to fail at filling all ATMs on a consistent basis.

Until a decade ago, my parents still used cheque books, and to this day, my mother visits her nearest branch once per week. The nearest branch is now two decent rain showers and a drenching away once she gets to town, because the bus service doesn’t go near it.

My own bank usually has a small queue of OAPs awaiting assistance activating their new ATM card, or setting up/revising standing orders, etc.

I can see the point, but the mad rush to closure was a little hasty at times. UK post offices are in a worse state.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

In Belgiumits the same, i think more or less 2/3 are closed now, the girl who used to work in my town, is now running 3 branches, only open 2 half days a week. I have now to drive 6 kms instead of 3, for me not really a problem. I run my bussiness online, and used o go more or less never to the bank, only to pick up or activate a Creditcard. And since covid this is very usual for most people i think !! If you want cash: only possible at the ATM, and in my (big) bank, only 50 euro notes. 500s are hard to find, at the bank impossible. 200s samesame, and 100s you can find at some ATMs.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Well, I'm sure we can all sleep well at night while remembering the banks saying:

We Never Forget It's Your Money!

:facepalm:
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:04 pm Well, I'm sure we can all sleep well at night while remembering the banks saying:

I thought it was our wives / girlfriends that said that.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

If they buy the land they open the office on then it's very easy to see why.

Buy land, open a office, more businesses open up surrounding the office, land prices goes up and so has the banks assets on the balance sheet.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Tootsfriend wrote:
Username Taken wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:04 pm Well, I'm sure we can all sleep well at night while remembering the banks saying:

I thought it was our wives / girlfriends that said that.
Only the good ones think or say that.

The bad ones believe it was always their money from the outset.

You then become a line on their budgeting sheet and given an allowance to spend.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic