SIEM REAP is it as bad as its being portrayed?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: SIEM REAP is it as bad as its being portrayed?

Post by stevenjb »

Would an agent consider a 3-month apt lease?

How would you negotiate directly with a landlord on a short-term 3-month lease. First and Last, 3-months full rent, etc.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

stevenjb wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:41 am Would an agent consider a 3-month apt lease?

How would you negotiate directly with a landlord on a short-term 3-month lease. First and Last, 3-months full rent, etc.

At the moment I cannot stand in front of them as I will not be in country until late oct early november
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

stevenjb wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:41 am Would an agent consider a 3-month apt lease?

Some landlords will do a 3 month lease, some won't. Some will only do it if you're paying more.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

BaltimoreJack wrote:
Some landlords will do a 3 month lease, some won't. Some will only do it if you're paying more.
Thanks

BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

stevenjb wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:00 am
BaltimoreJack wrote:
Thanks
I believe agents in Cambodia are typically paid the equivalent of one month's rent (aid by the landlord) if you sign a 12 month lease.

If you are only interested in a 3 month lease, some agents may not be interested in assisting you, because I'm guessing their commission would be about 1/4 of one month's rent.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

I lived in buildings for years where the agent took care of everything and other where the agent just got me to sign the first contract and then it was direct communication between me and the landlord.

A 3 month lease is no problem. When they push me i just stick to that i dont sign a year contract without knowing if its quiet enough for me to live and work there as i require so when i work from home. Just stand your ground. Many apartments are empty for 1 year + so they want the money. Dont appear more desperate then the owner is.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Albror wrote:

I lived in buildings for years where the agent took care of everything and other where the agent just got me to sign the first contract and then it was direct communication between me and the landlord.

A 3 month lease is no problem. When they push me i just stick to that i dont sign a year contract without knowing if its quiet enough for me to live and work there as i require so when i work from home. Just stand your ground. Many apartments are empty for 1 year + so they want the money. Dont appear more desperate then the owner is.
Ah, good insight.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I stay in PP at Seasons residence on 144 street, one month lease: no problem. I told them i would probably stya 4 or 6 months this year and get the lease 50 dollar off the last years price. As you never can predict that next door will be a building site who makes noise from 6 am in half a year, i prefere also to just rent for a motnh or maximum 3 months.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:48 am I stay in PP at Seasons residence on 144 street, one month lease: no problem. I told them i would probably stya 4 or 6 months this year and get the lease 50 dollar off the last years price. As you never can predict that next door will be a building site who makes noise from 6 am in half a year, i prefere also to just rent for a motnh or maximum 3 months.
Yes i've had a similar problem when living in the marina in dubai, nothing worse than building site noise to rattle your nerves.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:34 pm No when I arrive oct/nov. However I don't wont to spend too long in a hotel.
Don't make any commitments before being there. There's no need. Siem Reap is still recovering and there's an abundance of places waiting for you.
Consider your stay in a hotel, Airbnb or guesthouse an investment. It will pay you back a million times. If you're not prepared or willing to stay in a hotel for a week, maybe two, you might rent yourself into some place you don't like in the long run

Book a place for the first few nights, preferably with a bicycle available and get yourself around town looking for a nice place. When interested, visit the place at least two times. Check for temples (noise), bars, beergardens etc etc. What may look quiet and abandoned at 8am might be thriving with noise at 8pm.
If you've decided about the area go look inside places. Preferably windows face north, but they often don't, meaning heat.and high electricity bills. Siem Reap can get very hot from March till May. Check the prices of utilities. Many landlords put a surcharge on power and water. Check if there's a generator if you consider that important. Check if there's an elevator. Carrying yourself and your groceries up along a cramped stair ain't no fun when it's 38°C. Check how to get out of the building in case of an emergency when the power is down. Many Cambodian buildings, especially highrise, are potential death traps. Inside, check for ants and bugs. They're impossible to avoid, but some buildings have too many due to poor construction and / or poor management.

Siem Reap and Battambang are very different places. Check both out yourself when interested. They're only a few hours apart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic