Bangkok Go-Go Bars - Business Models Evolving

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Bangkok Go-Go Bars - Business Models Evolving

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:58 pm I was in Nana plaza this time last year and I noticed the price of the beer. There were happy hours between 4-7 but after that, 160-180 was the norm. That is more than London beer prices, at 180THB per bottle, which is £6.95 a pint*. When did Thailand get so expensive? I found Nana and Soi Cowboy utterly boring - just a row of tatty clip joints.

*180THB/330ml = 0.54THB/ml * 564ml = 307.63THB / 44.27 = 6.947
W.R.T. London beer prices, are you referring to comparable bars in London that have 20+ mostly fit young women in various states of undress, prepared to go home with you for 70 pounds irrespective of what you look like?

I love how some folks on here make comparisons.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:19 am I don’t know how new this is because I haven’t drunk in them for a while but it’s quite a change from the old days.

In Soi Cowboy and Nana, beer prices have crept up to 180-200 per bottle. But if you buy a lady drink now it is 400 for the first drink and 200 thereafter. The idea is to keep you in the bar and not go bar hopping I suppose. Otoh bar fines have come down. One bar quoted 700, another 1000. But this only covers short time, they want the lady back in the bar PDQ. The lady expects 3000 for her trouble (many probably ask for more). Very good English spoken by all staff. Customer mix about 70% Asian, 30% falang. No Thais. Atmosphere thick with cigarette smoke as you would expect from that demographic.
This sort of de-evolution was evident 7 years ago, the last time I was in old Bangcock (2016). I stopped by Nana as I was in that part of town after meeting a couple friends for an Issan food dinner near Saphan Taksin. I walked into the plaza and the ground floor seemed to be a sea of katoeys holding signs proclaiming beers were 200 baht. The washing machine "music" was deafening. Headed up to the 2nd floor, which was the same, ditto for the remaining floors. At that point, I swiftly descended and departed post haste in the direction of the Star of Light Bar, which had comfortingly not changed much at all.

Later in the week, met an expat friend (who has since moved to Vung Tau) at Soi Cowboy and had a couple beers at Cactus Bar, which was kind of boring but at least was relaxing and played mostly good music.

The KSR area (Banglampoo) has been pretty naff for decades but it is still sort of interesting and convenient for budget travellers. Had an awesome meal at Shoshana and also some very good vegetarian Thai food down one of the alleys. Overall, I visited a number of old haunts throughout the city and generally had a good time but couldn't believe how noisy, congested and polluted it was. Haven't been back since.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:21 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:58 pm I was in Nana plaza this time last year and I noticed the price of the beer. There were happy hours between 4-7 but after that, 160-180 was the norm. That is more than London beer prices, at 180THB per bottle, which is £6.95 a pint*. When did Thailand get so expensive? I found Nana and Soi Cowboy utterly boring - just a row of tatty clip joints.

W.R.T. London beer prices, are you referring to comparable bars in London that have 20+ mostly fit young women in various states of undress, prepared to go home with you for 70 pounds irrespective of what you look like?

Some people actually go out just for a few beers and not to take hookers home every night for £70. Stumble Inn prices go to 160 after 7pm, and there are no women in there in various states of undress.

I love how some folks on here assume everyone is chasing whores.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:24 am
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:52 am
Stray20 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:18 am I thought Thailand was cheaper than Cambodia as per @phuketrichard
:stir:

Rent is cheaper in Cambodia.......for cheap places true , but value for money NO
Utilities are cheaper in Cambodia .....Not true, electricity, cooking gas, water cheaper in Thailand
Transport is cheaper in Cambodia, overall.....NOT true, bus's, sky train in Bangkok, MRT, cheaper in Thailand, taxi's, yes more
Good food is cheaper in Thaialnd, :thumb:
Anything that is electronic or luxury is cheaper in Thailand, .....All appliances and quality construction material as well
Ladies are cheaper in Thailand, all other things being equal, unless you are a chicken shack dudeHaving lived in both places for exteHweed for 490 baht for 50 grms!![/i]
Clothes overall are about the same

Labor is cheaper in Cambodia,,, but its SHIT and many things need be done twice

I have ALWAYS stated alcohol and cigs are cheaper in Cambodia, have never commented on bar prices

carry on
Your info is wrong.

When I refer to Thailand I refer to The Big Mango. We dont have cooking gas in luxury condos. My elecric in my condo there averages $50 a month, I was paying far less in Siem for a bigger place. Per sq foot, the rent is cheaper in Siem Reap. My cell phone costs are cheaper (Smart vs AIS)

I dont do buses. Skytrain/MRT is more expensive than a tuk tuk. $1.25 for a tuck tuk, just to get on the train is over a dollar. And I have to walk 350M to the station. Trips usually run for me $2 or so.

I pay about $1 a gram for prime weed in both places.

Labour is shit in Thailand too, who are you kidding....

Having lived in both places for extended times, BKK is more expensive than Siem Reap. I have no comparison with PP, nor the tourist ghettos of Pattaya, Phuket.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"My elecric in my condo there averages $50 a month, I was paying far less in Siem for a bigger place"
that has nothing to do with the real cost
electricity in Thailand runs about 3.8 baht +($.12/KW) , Cambodia, the best you will see is 720 riel+, ($.18/)

"I pay about $1 a gram for prime weed in both places."
I just said i paid 490 ( $14) baht for 50 grms

"Labour is shit in Thailand too, who are you kidding...."
Obviously you have never built in either places, I have :-)

You can't compare a capital city with a provincial town and expect the capital to be cheaper

Carry on.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bangkok is an expensive spot to have a drink for sure.

I usually pay 150-220 per drink there & I don't even visit slagbars because they are boring AF
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:24 pm
ego bibere nimis wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:21 am

Some people actually go out just for a few beers and not to take hookers home every night for £70. Stumble Inn prices go to 160 after 7pm, and there are no women in there in various states of undress.

I love how some folks on here assume everyone is chasing whores.
That wasn't what I was suggesting at all. I was suggesting that here, UK or anywhere else in the world for that matter, drink prices reflect the environment you are imbibing your tasty beverage in. In a go go bar or hostess bar, expect to pay more than in the front bar of a local pub so comparing the two as you laid out in the maths above, is flawed. Agree or disagree about the quality of any specific go go bar or hostess bar, the fact remains that they are offering up something on top of what a typical front bar in a local pub offers and in most instances, that's going to be reflected in the price.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I interrupt this tittle-tattle to bring you more hard research data.

The team has moved to Patong Beach on Phuket.
About half of the (about 10) gogo bars there offer time unlimited promotions of decent (specific) beers priced at 99. One offered Leo, another served M. Otherwise beers cost 160-180.
Lady drinks 250.
Barfine, forgot to ask. Did not see any girls going out or coming back in.
Demographic - 10% falang. The rest Asian with a heavy Indian presence. And I mean heavy - these guys have been overdoing the stuffed parathas. And a lot of them smoke too but way behind our friends from China of course.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Phuket low season is
Indians, Middle easterners, Chinese

haven't been in a Patong go go in decades>
bars here in kamala, beers happy hour 60 baht, ( some beach side places as low as 40 or 2 for one at 90) regular 90
drinks 120-150
lady drinks 150
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:01 am "Labour is shit in Thailand too, who are you kidding...."
Obviously you have never built in either places, I have :-)

You can't compare a capital city with a provincial town and expect the capital to be cheaper

Carry on.
Well Im not dumb enough to build shit in either country where the building is usually conducted by monkeys fucking footballs, I have better uses for my funds, so I can only go with the quality I see in the high end condos I rent or my friends have in Bangkok. TBH, my last place in Cambodia was built better and that isnt saying much.

You cant compare what you pay in a tourist town, especially a tourist hole like Phuket.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic