Censorship

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Censorship

Post by Username Taken »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:17 am
Gary Small wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:11 am I've never understood why people get upset about others bringing up old topics.

It's about control thats all.
Yeah, that's it! All about control.

What a dumb thing to say.
The answer is very well explained above by siliconlife, full stop.
But, even if it is a problem with phpBB, it still gets back to the problem of reviving old threads which readers will automatically assume is new. Every forum member has been caught off guard by an old thread that has been revived but thinking that it is 'new' news.

You don't need to apologize, but as Newinkow suggested, when resurrecting an old thread it makes a lot of sense to preface with something like:
"bumping an old thread..."
"Yes I know, an old thread, but whatever happened to ..."
"I deeply apologize to the forum Gods for raising this old thread, but...'

It really ain't that hard, and you're not doing it for me or General Mac, but you're doing it for all forum members and other readers. If you start constantly raising old threads and responding to them like they are today's news, members will start reporting your posts as being spammy (Trust me, it happens when new members constantly raise the dead).

When a new member joins a forum and starts replying to years old threads, but not offering anything 'new' to the forum, it can come across as wanting to 'get their post count up quickly' for nefarious reasons. It can also be a precursor to trolling and/or spamming.

No one is out to get you, but when raising old threads have some consideration for other members who won't read the date!
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Ok you win!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:24 am I have been thinking about some of the comments about digging up old threads, I have a problem with this as they are not old to me and saying that I shouldn't add anything because its old seems a little odd.

Have none of you ever spoken about an event thats past? The whole thing stinks slightly of cancel culture and wokeism where i must only post what you approve based on your sensibilities.

If thats the world you want to live in so be it but personally I don't want my life edited or censored based on someone elses unwanted opinion.

If I am being to sensitive let me know and I will go?
Stop being a drama queen, jeez. SiliconLife nailed it. Wokeism? Come on, lol.

First of all, we don't even have a "rule" forbidding posting on old topics, and people randomly do it when they have something interesting to add on an old topic. No issue at all when it's bumped up for a sensible reason. Heck, it often names more sense to bump up an old topic if you have something to say about it rather than just starting a whole new topic about the same thing.

The reason you've been prevented numerous times from doing it is because it almost counts as "spam."

Can you imagine if we allowed everyone to run around posting on every topic from 2014 saying "very interesting, thanks for posting" and "thanks for sharing" "that's interesting" and "thanks for sharing" on every old topic?

Well, that was basically what you were doing. Not to the same degree as my example, but just clogging up the forum while adding nothing of substance.

And we don't have a long list of rules, as we rely on members to use common sense, and it largely works.

As an example of one of your posts that wasn't approved, someone was asking for a TukTuk back in 2022. Almost a full year later you bump it, basically saying "try Facebook."

Surely you can see why it's not ideal to let you or anyone go around bumping up old topics for basically no reason at all.

And again, that's just a screenshot of one random example of you bumping an old topic and adding basically nothing.

Anyways, you requested to be taken off of Mod Preview, and we granted your request to roam freely on here about a month ago, so I feel you're trolling a bit to say you're still feeling censored or that you think cancel culture is to blame, lol.

So please, try to use a bit more common sense if you plan to stick around. Nobody is trying to censor you and the guy standing outside your house in a trenchcoat with an earpiece is just waiting for a bus and listening to music on his AirPods.
:hattip:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:17 am
Gary Small wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:11 am I've never understood why people get upset about others bringing up old topics.

It's about control thats all.
No, it's merely a matter of forum hygiene, many forums don't even allow you to add a new post to a thread that has been inactive for a certain amount of time, like 6 months.

This forum doesn't have such a limitation enforced, which is great, because in some cases, long-running threads with relevant updates from time to time make sense. "Cambodia and Japan" or updates on post-coup Burma for example. Also Covid while that was still a thing LOL.

With your typical discussion thread, on the other hand, when the discussion has run its course, digging up an old thread to add a throwaway comment is just bad form. Others might not realize how old that thread is and start quoting posts without seeing them in the context they were once written etc. If the topic is of interest to you, why not start a new thread instead?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

This is quite humorous. The OP had a row with ‘those pricks on the other forum’ now he’s having a row with ‘those pricks on this forum’.

There seems to be a common denominator- but I just can’t put my finger on it…
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:24 am The whole thing stinks slightly of cancel culture and wokeism where i must only post what you approve based on your sensibilities.
You're either trolling, or you really have no idea where the owner of this forum stands.
Spoiler:
This one popped up...

Lord please help me to keep my big mouth shut
until I know what I am talking about

Used to hang in the English classroom in my highschool, never understood it in the early years I spent there....
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

General Mackevili wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:02 am
MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:24 am I have been thinking about some of the comments about digging up old threads, I have a problem with this as they are not old to me and saying that I shouldn't add anything because its old seems a little odd.

Have none of you ever spoken about an event thats past? The whole thing stinks slightly of cancel culture and wokeism where i must only post what you approve based on your sensibilities.

If thats the world you want to live in so be it but personally I don't want my life edited or censored based on someone elses unwanted opinion.

First of all, we don't even have a "rule" forbidding posting on old topics, and people randomly do it when they have something interesting to add on an old topic. No issue at all when it's bumped up for a sensible reason. Heck, it often names more sense to bump up an old topic if you have something to say about it rather than just starting a whole new topic about the same thing.

The reason you've been prevented numerous times from doing it is because it almost counts as "spam."

Can you imagine if we allowed everyone to run around posting on every topic from 2014 saying "very interesting, thanks for posting" and "thanks for sharing" "that's interesting" and "thanks for sharing" on every old topic?

Well, that was basically what you were doing. Not to the same degree as my example, but just clogging up the forum while adding nothing of substance.

And we don't have a long list of rules, as we rely on members to use common sense, and it largely works.

As an example of one of your posts that wasn't approved, someone was asking for a TukTuk back in 2022. Almost a full year later you bump it, basically saying "try Facebook."

Surely you can see why it's not ideal to let you or anyone go around bumping up old topics for basically no reason at all.

And again, that's just a screenshot of one random example of you bumping an old topic and adding basically nothing.

Anyways, you requested to be taken off of Mod Preview, and we granted your request to roam freely on here about a month ago, so I feel you're trolling a bit to say you're still feeling censored or that you think cancel culture is to blame, lol.

So please, try to use a bit more common sense if you plan to stick around. Nobody is trying to censor you and the guy standing outside your house in a trenchcoat with an earpiece is just waiting for a bus and listening to music on his AirPods.

you may comsider "closing - read only" certain threads to prevent them from beeing bumped?
work is for people who cant find truffles
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Not literally apologize... Just you know "sorry for bringing up an old thread" as a formality. Doesn't have to be the word "sorry" or anything, but you know what I mean. Heads up, or preface, are probably better terms, as mentioned above.

Whatever the case, if you don't care about etiquette... well, sorry but that's not other people's problem.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

truffledog wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:05 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:02 am

you may comsider "closing - read only" certain threads to prevent them from beeing bumped?
Are you a chinaman ? Sounds kinda like what their big bosses would do .
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Comme tu veux
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic