Two South African Men Jailed in Cambodia for Assault

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Two South African Men Jailed in Cambodia for Assault

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cape Town men held in Cambodian prison for assault

Bradley Elias, 32, from Gordons Bay and Marshall Abrahams, 31, from Stellenbosch had accepted an opportunity to work overseas from a programme that recruited young people to work for a Chinese company in Cambodia last year.
Published 19h ago
Written by Siphokazi Vuso

The Department of International Relations and Co-operation (Dirco) says it is assisting two Cape Town families whose loved ones are being held in a Cambodian prison for assault.

The two men, Bradley Elias, 32, from Gordons Bay and Marshall Abrahams, 31, from Stellenbosch had accepted an opportunity to work overseas from a programme that recruited young people to work for a Chinese company in Cambodia last year.

While there, they got into a dispute with the employer and ended up on the streets, according to their families.

The two were arrested after they were involved in a brawl at a bar with another South African from Johannesburg.

After their conviction, they were sentenced to a fine of R24 000 [US$1,270] each or four years’ imprisonment.

The fine had to be paid within 30 days.

Elias’s father, George Petersen, said they could not scrape together the money in time and the sentence was prison time.

“The boys accepted an opportunity to work overseas, and they ended up in Siem Reap, Cambodia. They had a dispute with the employer while there and were fired.

“They ended up on the streets, but were taken in by a local orphanage. In 2022 they got into a fight in a bar in Cambodia with a South African who, as I understand, was there on a job assignment. They were locked up and awaiting trial. The courts gave a verdict that if they don’t pay R24 000 each they will end up with a jail sentence of four years, and that’s where we are now,” said Petersen.

“We are struggling to cope, but the most important thing now is we need to raise the funds to get them back home.

“A week ago I was nearly scammed out of R2 000 by an imposter posing as a Gift of the Givers representative and we later found out he was lying. He threatened that my boy and his friend would be sent back to South Africa in body bags.

“It has been a difficult time. I have spoken to the boys. They are both sick, but they say they are coping.”

Marshall’s mother said her son left the country for better employment opportunities.

“This has not been easy on the family, but we are trying to remain strong,” she said.

Dirco spokesperson Lunga Ngqengelele said they were aware of the matter.

“We are doing what we can to assist them and their families,” he said.

To assist the families, contact Petersen at 064 150 1578, or email [email protected].
- Cape Times
https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/ca ... f5970fff2a
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Two South African Men Jailed in Cambodia for Assault

Post by General Mackevili »

An orphanage took in 2 30 something year old men? That's just weird.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:25 am
Elias’s father, George Petersen, said they could not scrape together the money in time and the sentence was prison time.
More like, screw you son. They both look like wrong'uns. Fighting in Cambodia?! May as well put a price tag on your forehead (fine tag).
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:25 am
“A week ago I was nearly scammed out of R2 000 by an imposter posing as a Gift of the Givers
No sting for you then. Got to be a typo... Or are we talking Rand?
sumfin smart
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:43 am An orphanage took in 2 30 something year old men? That's just weird.
Facebook:
CESHEO
https://onedrive.live.com/edit.aspx?res ... 0ioU6DB7IU
CESHEO
THE CAMBODIA ENGLISH SCHOOL OF HIGHER EDUCATION

WHAT IS CESHEO?

CESHEO,Cambodian English school for higher education organization is based in Siem Reap,Cambodia near the ruins Angkor Wat.In partnership with 143 collective,we operate two schools and an orphanage,focusing primarily on food,shelter and education for our children in need.CESHEO operates as a safe house,where children are welcomed,clothed,fed,educated and offered a place to sleep.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Hey, look on the bright side. At least they are not homeless anymore.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:51 pm Hey, look on the bright side. At least they are not homeless anymore.
Yeah, ok, after a few years here, I call BS. i can understand why the families dont want pay up. :whip:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:07 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:51 pm Hey, look on the bright side. At least they are not homeless anymore.
Yeah, ok, after a few years here, I call BS. i can understand why the families dont want pay up. :whip:
Because they don't want them back?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They already paid enough to get rid of them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:35 pm They already paid enough to get rid of them.
Doc67 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:11 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:07 pm
Yeah, ok, after a few years here, I call BS. i can understand why the families dont want to pay up. :whip:
Because they don't want them back?
LOL :dragonchase:
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

What type of work are Chinese employers in Cambodia recruiting black South Africans to do that can't be done by Cambodians?

I assume that CESHE the English school didn't recruit them, and they just ended up working there once they became homeless, but I don't know.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic