Khmer Beef vs Import

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Khmer Beef vs Import

Post by Jcml19 »

Had an interesting discussion with a local regarding beef. They tried to explain to mean that khmer beef was grass fed and of better quality than imports. I didnt really argue too much but im like wtf...

The local cattle here is allowed to roam in garbage filled lots n stuff! Yes, there are some that may be strictly grass fed and in an environment not harboring parasites but how would know what quality u r getting in the local market hahaah .. its not like there is a stamp when u buy in yhe market...

Everytime i purchase beef in the local market its a crapshoot what cut i get.. at least the import stuff i know the cut n at wat price
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Khmer Beef vs Import

Post by truffledog »

Jcml19 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:00 pm Had an interesting discussion with a local regarding beef. They tried to explain to mean that khmer beef was grass fed and of better quality than imports. I didnt really argue too much but im like wtf...

The local cattle here is allowed to roam in garbage filled lots n stuff! Yes, there are some that may be strictly grass fed and in an environment not harboring parasites but how would know what quality u r getting in the local market hahaah .. its not like there is a stamp when u buy in yhe market...

Everytime i purchase beef in the local market its a crapshoot what cut i get.. at least the import stuff i know the cut n at wat price
Visit a slaughterhouse in Cambodia and you will probably never eat beef or pork again.

https://visura.co/omarhavana/stories/ca ... ghterhouse
work is for people who cant find truffles
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Haha.. no desire to visit a slaughter house, there are better things to do.

I choose ignorance when it comes down to the nitty gritty of meat processing e.g. sausage making.. ill eat it but dont want to know the inner deets haha
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Most of the pork or other meat in that slaughterhouse will probably be cooked and eaten within 18 hours. Go to a western supermarket and it may be 48 hours before it gets on the shelf.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Having had khmeer beef and also a fair selection of expensive imported beef... the issue with khmer beef is that khmers are preparing it.

I've tried offering my 25$ imported rare stake to a local friend and it went straight on the stove to be fried into rubber.

That's the issue.

My opinions of course.

Edit: Do note that my friend really enjoyed the rubber that was created from my very nice imported meat, much more so I would say than rubber created from locally sourced beef. So I guess there is something more to it.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bluenose wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:01 pm Most of the pork or other meat in that slaughterhouse will probably be cooked and eaten within 18 hours. Go to a western supermarket and it may be 48 hours before it gets on the shelf.
Most of the meat sold in markets has been slaughtered that morning. The problem is that beef doesn't taste the best when it's fresh. It should be hung for a few days in cold storage but conditions here are not ideal for that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

For the khmers, its between the ears. Had exactly the same experiences in south america, they are used to "well-done" meat, because then they are safe to eat, thats how it used to be all over the world before they invented fridges. And you cant get it out of their heads. I ate in france the raw "steak-tartare", which is very yummie if really fresh served, my colombian girl took fotos from it an put it on FB with the words: I live together with a cannibal who eat raw meat. Now 15 years later she understands the system but wil never order it !!
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:58 pm
Bluenose wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:01 pm Most of the pork or other meat in that slaughterhouse will probably be cooked and eaten within 18 hours. Go to a western supermarket and it may be 48 hours before it gets on the shelf.
Most of the meat sold in markets has been slaughtered that morning. The problem is that beef doesn't taste the best when it's fresh. It should be hung for a few days in cold storage but conditions here are not ideal for that.

Ask any farmer that has grown and slaughtered their own animals and they will agree with you.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Plus the 7-10 days shelf life...
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

i ate some of the best grilled beef in Cambodia. While living there I never bought imported beef, I had my lady in wet market with good quality beef. You just need to know hot prepare it (hint: for tenderizing use :pineapple).
And back home we hang pork also for a night in a cold room. You never freeze "warm" meat.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic