Khmer Beef vs Import

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Khmer Beef vs Import

Post by stevenjb »

truffledog wrote:
Albror wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:40 pm
truffledog wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:25 pm You can freeze beef for over one year but I doubt it will be tasty anymore. Pork meat has even a shorter "freeze" life.
Depends on the fat content as fat eventually goes rancid even in the freezer?
spot on..the fat is the biggest problem going rancid. Cant stop that even freezing.
Vacuum seal then freeze

Sent from my SM-T570 using Tapatalk

Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Usually have a local steak with Kampot pepper sauce at Dolce Vita or Sony Side Up on 172. Priced between $6-8. What can I say? They're always, meaty, tender and juicy. No fuss.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

I don't eat beef but I get pork at Phsar Leu Thom Thmey at least once a week and I never have any problems. If anything, I found the quality to be much higher than that as I have had in Western Europe and Canada (i.e, it doesn't taste like mass produced industrialised product).
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:52 pm I don't eat beef but I get pork at Phsar Leu Thom Thmey at least once a week and I never have any problems. If anything, I found the quality to be much higher than that as I have had in Western Europe and Canada (i.e, it doesn't taste like mass produced industrialised product).
and what exactly does mass produced industrialised product taste like?
my problem with the meat here is the distinct lack of meat on it.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

GOBS of RAW MEAT ….

I was once asked : ( in the introduce yourself area )
“ Can you explain why PP freaks you out? 😆
[/quote]

i have schizophrenia ..”

I just thought of something else I hadn’t thought of before .
On a recent trip down there , I had the “ pleasure “ of taking a long ride thru some morning traffic
to get to the office where they do the cambrodian passports .
Of all the other disgusting scenery i kept seeing everywhere i looked and saw gobs of raw meat 🥩 EVERYWHERE.
People it seemed were all selling meat 🍖!
Piled up on a slab next to a weigher , or hanging down from something somewhere above .
Obviously all for sale and everywhere , I mean millions of them , more than that - thousands !
Do you people there just pick up some meat off the street ? I mean these guys and ladies are meat sellers
Gobs of raw meat everywhere , it freaked me out ..

😱 พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Soriya wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:00 pm

Have you ever eaten meat that came out of a JBS or Tyson bag? If so, then you know what tasteless, mass-produced meat is like.

I buy all my meat from the market and always see it quartered off the whole animal carcass before I do. I suggest you do the same, I have zero complaints, cost is much lower, and if you go early enough before the flies wake up and the ice melts, it can always be guaranteed more fresh.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:17 pm
Soriya wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:00 pm

Have you ever eaten meat that came out of a JBS or Tyson bag? If so, then you know what tasteless, mass-produced meat is like.

I buy all my meat from the market and always see it quartered off the whole animal carcass before I do. I suggest you do the same, I have zero complaints, cost is much lower, and if you go early enough before the flies wake up and the ice melts, it can always be guaranteed more fresh.
I actually do my neat and veg shopping from markets, like you at 6am when they are cutting up the whole pig and half cows and what not.
Like i said before, my only complaint is the sheer lack of meat on the animals. I might also add the terrible butchery skills that can produce woeful cuts.
RightSaidFred
Expatriate
Cuba

Post by RightSaidFred »

I spoke to a hotelier and he said most of the beef available here is imported buffalo from India. It has a certain smell that can sometimes put you off.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

RightSaidFred wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:52 am I spoke to a hotelier and he said most of the beef available here is imported buffalo from India. It has a certain smell that can sometimes put you off.
I've seen nothing in statistics or news regarding this, so take this with a grain of salt.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic