Electric Scooters and Bikes.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Electric Scooters and Bikes.

Post by Tootsfriend »

No such thing . If there was, they would be included in this .

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501351240/ ... over-60cc/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Electric Scooters and Bikes.

Post by phuketrichard »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:35 am No such thing . If there was, they would be included in this .

The Interior Minister Sar Sokha has proposed introducing motorcycle driving licences for vehicles with the capacity of 60cc to 125cc, in order to reduce traffic accidents in the country. Currently, licences are not needed for motorcycles with the capacity of 125cc or lower.
:facepalm:
LOL: How will "require a license to ride motorcycles" reduce traffic when most of the riders never have held one anyway

PLUS will they the set an age minimum for said license LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:44 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:35 am No such thing . If there was, they would be included in this .

The Interior Minister Sar Sokha has proposed introducing motorcycle driving licences for vehicles with the capacity of 60cc to 125cc, in order to reduce traffic accidents in the country. Currently, licences are not needed for motorcycles with the capacity of 125cc or lower.
:facepalm:
LOL: How will "require a license to ride motorcycles" reduce traffic accidents when most of the riders never have held one anyway

PLUS will they the set an age minimum for said license LOL
I’m guessing you unintentionally omitted the critical word- Accident.

From reading the article, and reading between the lines-
After the study phase has been completed and if the findings indicate motorcycles are a significant cause of traffic accidents, the ministry, along with the MWPT will endorse the proposal and make licences statutory for vehicles over 60cc, he added.
One might hope that a number of considerations would come from the study, such as-
Age limits might be appropriate
Bad driving habits, learned at an early age become the norm if left unchecked
A licensing process requiring a minimum amount of training in road rules, risk awareness, and behaviour, with a test.
Make it backwards applicable- don’t automatically allow grandfather rights.
It could easily be made a requirement that school students undergo mandatory training and testing to be allowed to ride to school on a moto

Obviously, the introduction of licence requirements won’t necessarily produce a step change in accident statistics. But along with wider reinforcement of existing rules, the benefits could be seen when, say, todays teenage riders are still here and riding/driving properly in a decade.

What is the proportion of fatalities from motorcycle accidents against all road accidents in the country?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Until they stop and check all drivers, ( including those 8 year old's in the provinces ) and if they dont have a license , FINE THEM
after 3 tickets....confiscate the bike

Nothing will change

This goes for Thailand as well where "Motorcycles (including 3-wheelers) make up more than 80% of vehicles involved in accidents (and also about 80 % of total casualties). "

I'd guess Cambodia % wise is about the same
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Sounds like just more bribe money as the folks who can't afford helmets or front lights probably ain't going to pay for the family's driving education.

So more tea money for the coppers and less food money for the villagers. But I suppose in most places they would mainly target foreigners for good and bad.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:14 am But I suppose in most places they would mainly target foreigners for good and bad.
How do you figure that? There aren't any foreigners in most places.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:26 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:14 am But I suppose in most places they would mainly target foreigners for good and bad.
How do you figure that? There aren't any foreigners in most places.
Because I imagine in the villages nobody would give a shit since the economics haven't changed, can't get water from a rock.

Small towns also seems to be free zones from traffic laws as people need to be able to work.

I imagine it will work as with helmets now, check points in between towns where mostly foreigners will be targeted, if no foreigners at all I imagine they target more overloaded cars etc. Last prey would be the old lady on her motorbike that's never had a helmet and doesn't know what a driver's license is.

But that could just be wishful thinking on my part, watched too much Robin Hood.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I was stopped once for running a red light years ago in Phuket, there was a car right behind me an followed thru the light that was not stopped, when i asked the cop why he didn't pull him over he told me, "he is thai an doesn't have any money"
so ....

laws do not apply for all equally
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Incompetence & window dressing once more.

As if this country has the capacity to train & test millions for their motor driving skills in a short period of time. Imagine the horror: every citizen has to come to Phnom Penh for the exam.

Better do 100% checks on truck- & bus drivers for a few months for licenses, insurance and use of substances and alcohol.

And maybe in 10 years time, when there's a training program, regional test centres, start thinking about this one
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:29 pm I was stopped once for running a red light years ago in Phuket, there was a car right behind me an followed thru the light that was not stopped, when i asked the cop why he didn't pull him over he told me, "he is thai an doesn't have any money"
so ....

laws do not apply for all equally
SOmewhere, long time ago i read an article about cops in LOS and KOW:
they are bussiness-men, what means, it doesnt matter you are right or wrong, it matters who has the money. Thats why they wont stop the old lady in the province.
Strangely last year crossing LOS and KOW with my belgian car i had no issues at all, only get stopped in PP twice but they were very friendly !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic