Electric Scooters and Bikes.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Electric Scooters and Bikes.

Post by truffledog »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:26 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:14 am But I suppose in most places they would mainly target foreigners for good and bad.
How do you figure that? There aren't any foreigners in most places.
There arent any cops in most places either.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cops are everywhere and their main job is to find barangs and steal their money.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DLsea
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by DLsea »

From observations and experiences during my limited time in Cambodia and mainly in Siem Reap, I would suggest that the proposed license system would not contribute much (if anything at all) to the number of fatal road accidents. Speeding motorcycles is the least of the problems. Fining people for not wearing helmets and possibly in the future, for driving without a license, will not on their own sort out the problem, and, would only provide 2 additional income streams. Imagine the income generation possibilities and fortunes to be made if the authorities clamped down on motorcyclists -
*riding without headlights on at night;
*riding with indicators on when they are not turning;
*not indicating when they are turning;
*cutting corners;
*using sidewalks to cut corners (and to avoid stop streets and red traffic lights);
*riding on the sidewalks;
*not slowing down at stop streets and traffic lights (let alone stopping);
*riding against the flow of traffic;
*carrying more than 3 passengers;
*using mobile phones while driving;

At a 1usd fine for each of the above "offences" a traffic officer could generate supplementary income of 30-100usd/day everyday.

Perhaps having a minimum age restriction for riding a motorcycle would help and I would definitely recommend that the food delivery folk be licensed. Some of the fastest and most reckless riders are the "Food Panda" type delivery riders. However, I feel that there are other ways which could also add to "road safety" - without having to go the whole motorcycle license route. For example it amazes me that afternoon school closure time coincides with peak rush hour.

Trucks, buses, cars and pickups seem to be the major culprits when it comes to road accidents and according to the press reports, in most cases alcohol or drugs seem to be involved. The use of mobile phones and GPS's are another story. People dawdling down the street in their Prius, Starion, Tundra or SUV (or for that matter, motorcycle) eyes glued to their GPS (not the road) and then suddenly stopping in the middle of the road, checking their GPS (or getting directions on their phone) and then, reversing 20 - ?m to where they should have turned or stopped, or, doing a 5-point u-turn to go back to the road they should have taken 30m before. Absolutely normal and common, everyday behaviour with no thought at all given to the hazzard (or inconvenience to others) they are causing.

Despite all, the lack of road rage never ceases to amaze. If this was the US, probably half of the population would have been shot due to road rage.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Idiots will continue to drive like dickheads whether they have a licence or not.

Anyone on a Moto under the age of 16 should be super fined and imprisoned for life.

Also, anyone that overtakes me and instantly turns right.

And anybody that turns left. If you can't turn left properly don't even try.
sumfin smart
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

The Cambodia YouTuber ForRiel just released a video where she stated that the Cambodian authorities are considering intro-licenses for Moto riders of 60-125cc bikes.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:27 pm Cops are everywhere and their main job is to find barangs and steal their money.
my 17 months in kep/kampot i think i saw 2-3 cops on the road and when 6 of them came to arrest my gf brother
other than that i think they stay off the road cause it to hot, dry, wet, dirty ( pick ur reason)

main income when they require license's, is stopping/fining those under age ( i imagine it will be set at 16)

Khmers cant afford to get a new license every year as it involves travelling to PP> ( 10 year ones you need sit a test)
UNTIL they get depts all over, it wont happen 2035??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:30 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:27 pm Cops are everywhere and their main job is to find barangs and steal their money.
my 17 months in kep/kampot i think i saw 2-3 cops on the road and when 6 of them came to arrest my gf brother
other than that i think they stay off the road cause it to hot, dry, wet, dirty ( pick ur reason)
Last time in Kep we got fined for no helmet both going there and coming back. They stay on the highway a bit off the road and run onto it when they see foreigners.

Though coming back I pretended to not notice and just ran past them, they got my buddy though.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:34 am
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:30 am
Last time in Kep we got fined for no helmet both going there and coming back. They stay on the highway a bit off the road and run onto it when they see foreigners.

Though coming back I pretended to not notice and just ran past them, they got my buddy though.
ahhh that explains it if they hide off the road as on my 2x/week trips kep/kampot always wore a helmet
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Ideally, in a country like Cambodia where everyone rides a scooter from high school age on, learning how to ride a scooter safely should be part of the high school curriculum. That's not going to happen, of course.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

There is actually a legal, minimum age for riding motorized vehicles (with or without driver license): 14
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic