Extending my visa without a job

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Extending my visa without a job

Post by xandreu »

I've lived here for several years and always extended my EB visa for 12 month periods at a time. I've always been employed so it's never been a problem getting the required letter of employment from my employer.

My current visa runs out in about 6 weeks however, but I'm desperate to leave my current job. However, I'm wondering about how I'd renew my visa if I haven't found a new job in time.

I'm sure it always used to be the case that if you renew the visa on a one or three month basis, you don't need an employment letter? But after Googling it today, I can't find anywhere that it says that, and it seems that any extension of an EB visa requires an employment letter.

Does anyone know what the case is?

Thanks.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: Extending my visa without a job

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

just do it early and loose six weeks..
bump this thread in a year's time

Fuck everything
sumfin smart
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:37 am just do it early and loose six weeks..

Fuck everything
I've seen people talking about this before - renew their VISA with current employer, quit job, walk away with a 12 month VISA.

What I've always wondered is, is the VISA tied to that employer who gave you the letter of employment? Does quitting the job negate the VISA?
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

xandreu wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:47 pm I'm sure it always used to be the case that if you renew the visa on a one or three month basis, you don't need an employment letter? But after Googling it today, I can't find anywhere that it says that, and it seems that any extension of an EB visa requires an employment letter.

Does anyone know what the case is?

Thanks.
When someone arrived to Kingdom and got business visa, they can extend it one time for 6 months without work permit. All further EB visa extensions require not just employment letter but most importantly Work Permit.
Random Dude wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:40 am What I've always wondered is, is the VISA tied to that employer who gave you the letter of employment? Does quitting the job negate the VISA?
In Cambodia working visa is not tied to employer and is still valid even after u quit.

Therefore for TS try to make 1 year extension today and quit job tomorrow. I never tried it myself but i think it should be possible.
If is not possible there are many tourist agencies that can provide all papers (including work permit and employment letter) for extra money.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Random Dude wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:40 am
DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:37 am just do it early and loose six weeks..

Fuck everything
I've seen people talking about this before - renew their VISA with current employer, quit job, walk away with a 12 month VISA.

What I've always wondered is, is the VISA tied to that employer who gave you the letter of employment? Does quitting the job negate the VISA?
My understanding was that there is a quota on the number of foreigners that can have a work permit for each company. The employer cannot employ a replacement unless the work permit is removed from the first person to then have the new one officially in the company quota.

Really, the work permit is not valid once the person leaves the place of employment
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

violet wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:47 am

Fuck everything

My understanding was that there is a quota on the number of foreigners that can have a work permit for each company. The employer cannot employ a replacement unless the work permit is removed from the first person to then have the new one officially in the company quota.

Really, the work permit is not valid once the person leaves the place of employment
My work permit has always said 'self employed', even though I'm not. I guess that's how many companies get around it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

xandreu wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:35 am
violet wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:47 am

Fuck everything

My work permit has always said 'self employed', even though I'm not. I guess that's how many companies get around it.
Oh, right. Yes, will be different in that case.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Fuck everything
You can not extend earlier than 1 month prior to expiry, they stopped that practice a few years ago.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Fuck everything

Only if the employer is passed off enough to report to the DoI, Visa Extensions of Stay are not directly linked to ones employment.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@xandreu ...there are plenty of agents who can facilitate your EB Extension of Stay even if you don't have a job, they just charge a little extra.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic